The Planted Tank Forum banner

18 by Forest Floor

2K views 2 replies 1 participant last post by  hydrophyte 
#1 ·
18 by Forest Floor

This is a quick start for a new enclosure journal

Later today I'm going to put together a setup at our local reptile specialty shop along with the proprietor. He wants to set it up as a high-humidity display for one or two frogs and it's going into a 18" X 18" X 24" Exo Terra.

I'm sorting through my growout tanks to pick out a few good plants. They have some pretty nice driftwood stumps over there in the store. I hope to have some pictures to post later.

I picked out one plant that I want to use. Mahogany fern (Didymochlaena truncatula) is one of the best ferns that I have tried for this kind of planting. I have two or three pots of it established here. You can see it in in the top middle of this picture.

It has a real nice growth habit. A lot of the houseplant ferns that I have found tend to be really floppy and with leaves that just fall all over the nice leaf litter. Mahogany fern is more erect.

See less See more
#2 ·
It's a little hard to see what's going on but here's a quick picture.

Those are pieces of Lake Superior driftwood on slate bases in there. I need to add some kind of plant to fill out the top left corner because it looks oddly empty there. I might mount a few Neoregelia on the driftwood pieces. I am going to amend the terrestrial plants a bit too. Some of them are nice, but I want to add some kind of climber.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.