The Planted Tank Forum banner

How many ottos in a 29

8K views 71 replies 19 participants last post by  zacheyp 
#1 ·
I know the tank will have a few male guppies, and cory catfish. If you have any other stocking suggestions let me know.

#17 ·
Or you could buy healthy Otos. They tend to die immediately after import because they've been starved, essentially. The best bet is to ask your LFS how long they've been in their tanks. Wait til they've had them a few weeks before making a purchase. Or just order from one of the forum sellers with healthy fish that have been in quarantine for several weeks.

Just remember that they're social fish that are healthiest and happiest in groups of six or more. While algae is their preferred food, you can certainly supplement with wafers, spinach, zucchini, Repashy, et al.

#19 ·
You should not keep more then 2 rams in such a small space. Only one male ram.

Rams will get territorial with eachother but not the other fish and if you have a pair, (thats different then a male and female) they will pair for life. If you get a male and 2 females, it is likely the male will pick one to pair with and then they will harrass the other female.

#25 ·
I have given a lot of thought to stocking, i have changed my mind several times. Here is what i am thinking
2 German Blue Rams
4 Ottos
7 Neon Tetra
5 CPD
do i have room for anything else or ami i overstocked. Thank you so much for all of your help.

#35 ·
Check out my 29 gallon journal, link in my sig. There are several pictures of my angelfish.

Hey guys sorry for all the questions... Would it be possible to get 1 ram 1 angel and 1 of another type of chiclid? If so what type?
Thanks !
I'm not really sure what other cichlid would work. You definitely shouldn't do any african cichlids and you shouldn't do any of the larger south american cichlids (oscars or convicts for example)

I think the angel, ram, neons and Cpds make a good list.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.