The Planted Tank Forum banner

2.5g OEBT Adventure

3K views 20 replies 6 participants last post by  SomeCanuck 
#1 · (Edited)
3/25 Update

------------

So these were the shrimp that got me into the hobby, and after owning CRS for a few months I decided to buy some and see how they did...well. They are TINY, all seven of them.

I wasn't expecting them to be that small so for now they are staying in this little breeder box that I stuffed with plants for them. So far I've been siphoning it (with an eyedropper :icon_eek:) every water change to keep it nice and clean. I also crush a snail to feed them every couple days and I already found a few molts in the tank.

But over the weekend I went to Petco and bought a nice little 2.5g tank that is going to house them when they are a bit bigger, and then maybe an upgrade to a 10 or 20 if they start doing really well.
The start, Sunday

Driftwood and dirt added

Then onto the plants

And then filled with water

See less See more
#4 ·
Thanks!

On the Ebi where the breeder box is (and the OEBT shrimplets) the tanks been at 76F, pH 6.5, and gH 5, with ammonia/nitrites/nitrates at zero with weekly water changes of 10 - 20% The 2.5g is in the same room and will be kept at the same temperature.

The ebi has my CRS & CBS in it and I haven't lost a single one, and 5 are berried with shrimplets coming very soon so it's pretty stable.

#7 ·
Nope no power head, it's just an air pump :I

The lil OEBTs are getting bigger...the three largest ones have stripes now and I can see some blue starting to form! Their tank also got some new plants in it, pardon my vase in the background, trying to find some sort of permanent shelf space for it so it's sitting there till I do.

And their future home:

Plants still need to grow in a bit, but it should be a wall of green in the back with some open roaming space in the front when it's done.

#8 ·
Wait what?!! I didn't know sponge filters could work with the output above the water if it's driven by only an air pump! Seriously? That little spout of water is from the airpump?!??! What airpump do you have?

#10 ·
I actually use a whisper 10i and 60i pump myself :). I do like them, their new shape is kinda funky too.

I never knew the sponge filter would still work with the output above the water line. That's what people told me as well o_O!

#11 ·
Got some updates on this tank..Removed the anubias at the top of the driftwood because it was starting to grow out of the tank and burning on the light, there's xmas moss there now which should hopefully explode all over the branch and look awesome. Also got some riccia and I can't wait for that to fill in.

FTS

Hey guess what!? They're actually blue now...almost :icon_mrgr

I can't believe they were just little grey specks a few weeks ago...

O wow it's actually pearling...a little

Anyone know what kind of snail this is? It keeps the plants really really clean

Top view

#12 ·
Dang the anacharius? in your tank seems so thick and bushy!!!

The snail seems to be a ramshorn snail. Be careful with it as it can breed by itself and overpopulate the tank very quickly.

#13 ·
However you spell it lol, it seems to like being right next to the light! I just hope I can get the rotala to fill in on the other side.

The snail also has some dark spots across it that you can just barely see in the photos, I hope it does multipy because I still have just one after about three months, it was about the size of a comma when I first noticed it. :icon_eek:

#17 ·
All the ramshorns in this tank have speckles on them, it looks pretty neat!

Some updates, the plants are filling in great, and the total for OEBT's is 3 blonde and 3 that are a very deep blue...the biggest has a SADDLE! Pardon the anacharis, it's due for a trim...

These shrimp are a lot more curious, or aggressive, than my crystals. Whenever I'm doing work in the tank they always climb on my hand and start nibbling. Crazy little dudes.

#18 ·
Means you just got nice tasting dead skin :p.

Anacharius just doesn't like me. It grows really well in my tanks.. but never roots. And I can't stand it floating all the time so I trashed it :(

#21 ·
Reddit brought me here which is why I'm resurrecting this gorgeous little tank. (No, I wasn't the OP. Just a curious lurker hehe.) I just got myself a 2.5g as well and I was curious if you use any kind of ferts or CO2 in the tank because your plants look great. Also curious about your air pump, because it looks like you have 2 air lines coming out of it, so where does the second one go? Or is that a T-joint I spy in one of your pics to increase the flow on the sponge filter?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.