The Planted Tank Forum banner

Planting Swords without substrate fert

872 views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  dmagerl 
#1 ·
I have a ruffled amazon sword in my 75 gallon. In this tank I currently have 6 angelfish, 1 very old striped kuhli, and 2 amano shrimps. To be added is Bristlenose pleco, a school of cory cats and maybe an upside down catfish. I do plan to fully plant this tank.

Right now the only substrate planted plants are 1 bushel of swords and 1 large bushel of cabomba and 2 smaller bushels of cabomba. So my question; how well can swords survive without a substrate like: http://www.petco.com/product/111994...aspx?CoreCat=MM_FishSupplies_GravelSubstrates ? Because it is my understanding that swords are root feeders. I noticed yesterday that there is a new leaf coming through.

I have liquid fert and use that maybe once a week. Another question is, how well can I establish a fully planted tank without any substrates like the one linked and without root tabs. Shoving root tabs into my sand bed just feels so wrong to me and completely turns me off :p

Last questions, if the root feeders need something extra for their roots than what the fish waste is giving; is it possible to add small amounts of organic potting soil or mix to a tank already full of water, decor and fish? And if the tank isn't fully planted is it possible to use small amounts of OPS or OPM without crashing your water params?

Thanks so much!!!

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi, this is just my opinion. I have had BN pleco strip my plants leaves pretty thin even with wafers and cucumber. I have several different tank setups but in my tank with no substrate ferts or dirt the sword is not growing well. It is exsisting but that is about it. As for trying to add dirt to established tank. The hastle involved isn't worth it when u can just get root tabs. Once again just my opinion

#3 ·
hm....I've got quite a few friends on another aquarium forum that I frequent whom have BNs in their planted aquariums and never had such a problem.

I much appreciate your opinion and experience, I will keep them in mind.

Thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.