The Planted Tank Forum banner

Eco-Complete VS ActivFlora Glosso Battle

22K views 36 replies 16 participants last post by  AGUILAR3 
#1 ·
So I've had both Eco-Complete and ActivFlora in a multitude of tanks. Lately I've been leaning more towards Activ-Flora and really want to put both to the test. Here we go:

Both substrates I took straight out of the bag (huray for left overs). Pulled a run of glosso from one of my tanks. Cut off 4 identical pieces in line off the same "run" and placed 2 in each jar and filled with water. No ferts or dosing of any kind. Both under the same 3W Deep Blue 6,7k Solar Max. I'll keep track every few days or so.

See less See more
#7 ·
So figured I'd check how the "battle" was fairing (not expecting anything different) before going to bed and noticed something very interesting...

ActivFlora glosso seems to have a small bubble as if it were pearling. I've never seen pearling without co2 and dosing ferts so is it truly pearling or just a random bubble?

#9 ·
UPDATE: Heres pics taken this Sunday.

The Eco-Complete grew the first new plant followed by ActivFlora growing the next two and finally Eco-Complete with the last one. Both have 4 plants in each glass so plant wise it's a tie. Just in the past day or two I have noticed the Eco-Complete plants starting to show signs of nutrient deficiency. I haven't added any nutrients to the containers so next week should be interesting. I did do 2 water changes thus far by simply running both containers under the faucet on a slow trickle. I wasn't planning of doing water changes but the Eco-Complete developed a slime coat almost and felt it was needed. The ActivFlora did have a little bit of settlement when I rinsed so both benefited I feel. I have noticed the Eco-Complete's substrate has really separated with the fine grain moving towards the bottom.

#14 ·
Haha, Justin we are in the great fortune of having it available for $25 in RI. If you pull the trigger on the 20 high I don't mind picking up 2 bags for you and can drop them off when I'm in the area. I got to North Kingstown and Fatima Hospital almost weekly. Plus I might be able to get my discount and get it a little cheaper yet.

#24 ·
UPDATE: Not too much new growth but I do notice another stem/runner starting on each.

Can see noticeable deterioration and lack of nutrients it seems with the Eco-Complete as the days progress. Will be sure to update Sunday.

#25 ·
UPDATE: A little more noticable growth in the past few days. Something to definetly note is that one of the glosso runner stems seems to be not rooting into the substrate as much. Starting to see visible signs of the gloss staying lower and more compact with ActivFlora vs. Eco-Complete.

#27 ·
Thanks for doing this thread! I am not going to ditch my eco complete but i was in need of more substrate anyway so I am going to mix ActivFlora with my Eco. I think it will nicely darken the substrate but still give some variation which i actually appreciate. I just ordered a few bags online so it is around.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.