The Planted Tank Forum banner

60-P "It Starts with a Rock" Beach Added - page 3

5K views 45 replies 17 participants last post by  The Trigger 
#1 · (Edited)
You never know when the inspiration to set up a new tank is gonna strike. Well, it happened to me this past summer while on a little hike out in nature. I had gone 2 years without a freshwater tank and I guess I was looking for an excuse to set one up!

It starts with a rock.

I borrowed this one from nature and a few others that were similar in texture and color. It was a ton of fun searching for the "perfect" rock and really good exercise carrying them two at a time up a steep hill and then quite some distance to the car.

Anyway, I guess I'm starting a journal.
The first picture is a shot of "the rock" that started it all.
The second picture is of the hard scape pre H20.
The third picture is a current FTS (10/09/13)

Attachments

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
So, I have been into aquariums for a long time and have been really practical for the most part when it comes to keeping the cost of a tank project low. This time I decided to splurge a bit - wanted to see what the ADA tanks were all about. Used an existing piece of furniture for a stand so put the savings into the tank which ended up being an ADA 60-P. Glad I did it. It's a nice tank. First time rimless for a freshwater tank and first time with low iron glass for me - really happy about it.

Still trying to figure out how to post pictures...

Here's the tank with some preliminary plants - Tall, grown out Glosso in the back middle. Staurogyne Repens in the midground. And HC in the foreground. Black neons all over the place.

Edit: "grown out Glosso" is actually Micranthemum umbrosum (Helzine, or Baby Tears).

Attachments

#5 ·
Looks Great, keep posting I would like to see the progression!

#12 ·
So, in addition to the tank (ADA 60-P)....

Light - Finnex Ray 2
Filter - Rena Filstar XP M
Heater - Hydor inline
CO2 - yes
Substrate - ADA Amazonia

Thoughts...

Light - Happy overall. Could use a little more warmth in color. Love the low profile.

Filter - Quiet, easy to use. XP M is too strong for 60-P. I have a kink in the return line which has made the flow less tsunami like.

Heater - haven't needed to plug it in yet.

CO2 - cheap airstone bubbling into filter intake.

Substrate - really light weight which makes it challenging to anchor plants, especially with high flow

#17 ·
Thank you everyone for the positive comments!

This past weekend I added a trio of otos, a pair of rams (M. Ramirezi) and a pair of Bolivian rams (M. Altispinosa).

Tons of personality. Really fun to watch.

I realize only one of the pairs will be able to occupy the tank long term.

Will post pictures soon!

#25 ·
I'm not entirely sure how old this guy is, I just got about 27 hours ago. He was being harassed by other rams in my buddies tank, so we moved him to mine. After about an hour he got comfortable and started moving around. Today he looks way better and goes all over the tank. I consider his personality a giant goof. He loves eating my sand and spitting it out all over the place.

#34 ·
Progress Shot

Plants are growing! Hair algae is still hanging around. Fish have settled in - much more brave as far as hanging out in the open.

What do you guys think about the scape?

I'm toying around with the idea of removing the HC in the front left corner of the tank and adding a "white" sand beach. It wouldn't be original, but it might look cool. Thoughts anyone?

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.