The Planted Tank Forum banner

Good fish for 10g

1K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  aroo 
#1 ·
Okay so my girlfriend and I have a little tank going that she got for Christmas. Long story short the person who gave it to her started it pretty poorly, big ugly gravel rocks, three different type of tetra, and a small pleco. I'm trying to pretty it up a bit, I got rid of the ugly gravel rocks and put in some Activ-Flora black substrate and picked up some cherry shrimp for her (she always loves them at the store)
As in the past (the tetra nipped our pleco until he was gone) the tetra began wreaking havoc again. They nipped one of our little cherry shrimp and seems to be bullying the tank. I'm thinking about bringing them back to our LFS and picking up a little school of something that will be nice and calm.

What could we get for this little tank.
PS: we want some simple plants at some point.

#5 ·
micro rasbora aren't overly common. you may wanna call around, or order online. your RCS babies will get eaten by any fish besides OTOs. if u have enough, and a lot of plants they can make it, otherwise most would say if u want the RCS to breed dont have any fish. but if u just want adult RCS with fish that is okay.

#7 ·
I'm trying to do some carpeting in my 10 gal tank I got fluval co2 and my substrate is seachem flourite black sand, I ordered some glosso on Ebay and already planted it in my tank, now for my question will it form carpet like with my lighting which is 2 cfl 13 watts each 6500k. Any advice because I'm trying to avoid buying expensive lighting.

#8 ·
Okay so my girlfriend and I have a little tank going that she got for Christmas. Long story short the person who gave it to her started it pretty poorly, big ugly gravel rocks, three different type of tetra, and a small pleco. I'm trying to pretty it up a bit, I got rid of the ugly gravel rocks and put in some Activ-Flora black substrate and picked up some cherry shrimp for her (she always loves them at the store)
As in the past (the tetra nipped our pleco until he was gone) the tetra began wreaking havoc again. They nipped one of our little cherry shrimp and seems to be bullying the tank. I'm thinking about bringing them back to our LFS and picking up a little school of something that will be nice and calm.

What could we get for this little tank.
PS: we want some simple plants at some point.
Zebra Danios are pretty good in a 10g tank. I currently have a 10g running since mid February with 5 zebra danios and this past month gradually added 4 1 inch mysery snails and 3 baby mystery snails.

#9 ·
I would ditto the suggestion for the dwarf Rasboras, any of several species.
Ember Tetras, but nothing larger.
Not Zebra Danios. Too active for that small a tank, and are large enough to eat baby shrimp.

I would go this way:
1) Plant the tank.
2) Add shrimp until they get established and are a breeding colony, and they know all the hiding places. You could add 1-2 Otocinclus at this time. Otos do not eat shrimp. They are pretty good algae eaters, cleaning the glass, and small enough to rest on the leaves and clean them.
3) Add a dozen of one species of the smallest fish.

#10 ·
Ember tetras are awesome. I had a shoal of them for a while along with some shrimp in a 10 gallon planted tank.

I also kept pygmy corydoras with cherry shrimp in a 10 gallon. Something that's cool about pygmy corydoras is that they are better swimmers than the larger species. They can and will swim at mid levels; they don't just hang out on the bottom.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.