The Planted Tank Forum banner

Beginner needs help with plant selection on 4 gallon finnex

4K views 41 replies 10 participants last post by  merk1_99 
#1 ·
Hi I am a beginner to the freshwater planted world. I need help choosing plants for a 4 gallon finnex gallon tank. The tank comes with the stock 13 watt light. The tank will contain a single betta. I would like to add another fish but realize that probably is an impossibility. I am confused whether the 13 watt light makes the tank a low light tank or a medium light tank. Since wpg is useless on a smaller tank. I am guessing I will make a DIY CO2 system at some point. The substrate will be eco-complete. Help me choose some plants for the fore, mid, and background. Also can someone point me to good online vendors. The local LFS's do not have a good stock of plants or knowlegable staff.

TIA

#2 ·
Ok. I have formulated a plant list. I need help weeding out the ones that will not do well with the stock 13 watt pc light. It is obvious in a 4 gallon tank I do not need all of the species. For right now I am thinking 3 different species for the back, 3-4 mid, 2-3 front. Or is that many species to much?

Foreground:
Anubias nana
Lilaeopsis novae-zelandiae--micro sword
Nymphoides aquatica--banana plant
Eleocharis acicularis--dwarf hairgrass

Mid:
Ceratopteris thalictroides--water sprite
Rotala macranda--rotala magenta
Ludwigia repens--ludwigia broad

Background:
Egeria densa--anacharis
Hygrophila difformis--wisteria
Myriophyllum pinnatum--myrio green
Myriophyllum heterophyllum--myrio red
Echinodorus rubin--red rubin
Cabomba caroliniana--cabomba

#4 ·
I realize I may need more light in the future but for now this is what I have to work with. I don't want to invest $100 in lighting now if I am only going to fail. I have already looked at a fixture that has 2 18 watt pc bulbs....But for now can I grow these plants? I tried to find only plants that were easy/ low to medium light.

#5 ·
This is a small tank so I would stick to some small plants. Some of them you have grow to big for such a small tank. If you want to use the Anubius nana in the front I would go with the petite nanas. I would go with a micro sword or blyxa for midground and a rotala species for the background. It will be very hard for you to grow Rotala macranda w/o pressurized CO2 so I would stick to rotala colorata or indica or even a bacopa. Small tank, small leaves will make it look bigger then it is. Even HM would look good in this tank.

#7 ·
I am going to attemot to document this tank. Tank and substrate arrive Monday. I did manage to find another 18 watt pc light I forgot I had. So if the 13 watt doesn't provide enough I will add it. Just working on a good online site for plants. I did find a store that was selling aquatic plants but they looked suspect. Worst case scenario I will get get 2-3 of those plants and add to the tank till I make my mind up.

#8 ·
merk1 99, I will be following your post closely and hope all goes well with the setup.

When Swap n Shop is running again you can post the plants wanted and get them from fellow members. This is the safer and better way to do it, make sure you read the PTrader feedback before buying though (it should be multiple current and possitive ratings).

Later...

#9 ·
All right the tank, light, filter, and substrate are all do in on Tuesday. I went down to the river and pulled a few rocks for the tank. I do have a driftwood pc just not sure if I will use the driftwood or rocks till I get the tank filled. Anyways can't wait.

Here is my revised plant list so far going to order them in a day or two.

fore:
anubias nana dwarf
Eleocharis parvulus dwarf hairgrass

mid:
Nymphoidea aquatica
Blyxa japonica dwarf asian grass

back:
Rotala indica narrowleaf
Bacopa caroliniana-amplex broadleaf

What can I do to make sure they do not have snails or other baddies? I have read 1 part bleach to 19-20 parts water for 1-2mins. My tank is most likely not goin to have fish to eliminate pests....

#11 ·
Well the tank arrived today cracked. Now the vendor is sending me out a new one so I won't see it till Monday or Tuesday. Just called my wife about my other order which has my 20lbs of Eco Complete and ferts. Of course she tells me it is on the porch because water is pooling under the box. So my guess is the Eco Complete bag is shot....I have no tank to put the ECO in till the new one gets here. Will my substrate magic bacteria now go bad? Would you complain to Dr. Foster and Smith or just let it go? Now I have to hold back ordering my plants till I know for sure when the tank will arrive....Even though the tank is broken it still looks pretty slick.

#14 ·
I had a bag come from them broke as well and if you call their customer service and tell them the bag broke they will send you another one right away. They are very good about those things. They didn't even want the bag they sent back so I ended up with an extra bag that I used.

#19 ·
Well as suspected the Eco had ripped and leaked. But the substarte was still wet throughout so I just threw it all in a cooler with an airstone. Threw about 2 cups of betta bowl water in there and an airstone.

The good news is the replacement tank shipped and will deliver on Friday if all goes well. So if all goes well on Friday I will get the soil in the tank and get the filter heater and light going. Then I can order plants over the weekend and get them to deliver Tuesday or Weds. Get the plants in and then the following day the betta goes in. What an expensive betta.

Question....I was thinking of adding 3/4''-1'' of peat moss on the bottom of the tank. Then cover with 2 1/2''-3'' of Eco. Any ideas of how this would work?

#23 ·
Well I ordered the plants today since the tank arrived intact. So I got all that I wanted in my last list and then I added some glosso. Everyone seems to have it....Anyways I doubt my light will be good enough but we will see.

Now my next challenge is to find peat moss in New England when its almost winter....yikes!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.