The Planted Tank Forum banner

2 - 12X12 Rimless Tanks for PRL & PBL Ideas for scapes

4K views 40 replies 14 participants last post by  sbarbee54 
#1 ·
So I get 2 rimless tanks 12x12 tomorrow they will be dedicated as one to PBL and one to PRL. I gave all my other PRL to my brother so starting fresh. I have finnex fugray2 for both and will be using AC20 on them. I think I am going to do one with DRL Akadama and one with Amazonia... I know people are starting to hate akadama and it is hard to find, but I have 3 bags and for a year now I have had good luck, and my TB love it and breed like rabbits in it.

I need scape ideas, Of course I will have moss, Fissidens and Xmass. I was thinking of doing a Nurii as the main plant in one and a Red metallic in the other???? With Seiryu stones in the back corners with the substrate slanting tall in the back to shorter in the front with a fissidins carpet between them or something to that sort.... Or have the fissidens glued to the sieryu stones and have a small drift wood off to one side and the seiryu stones to the other... Help....12x12 not much room but I want these to pop.

#2 ·
Well no one is helping me with scape ideas, but here is what I have started with. 2 12X12 Cubes with Finnex Fugray2 on them. Right one will be PRL left will be PBL. I have decided they will have substrate of Amazonia, each a AC20 and maybe a small sponge filter I just cant have any water splash, so might cancel that. Ordered 8 pounds of Seiryu Stone for the scapes. Will be grabbing some Fissidins for the scape as well and some Mini Xmas moss probably. Thinking maybe a small piece of Malaysian drift wood in each with a Rocky back ground scape.

DIY tank pad made out of nice thick cushy water resistant anti skid draw lining stuff.

#7 ·
Some people have pointed out to me that over time, it establishes a bio film that should roughly stop the leeching.

Also, I'm curious why your lights are pointed in that direction instead of the other?

#9 ·
I have 10lbs of seriyu in my 12 gallon. I've added pure ro/di remineralized to 0kh 5gh for the past 3 months. My parameters are now kh3 gh6 and that is with twice a week 20% water changes. I would seriously think about clear coating the stones. You may be able to keep the parameters in check but it will be a ton of work and may possibly wear your aqua soil out quicker. Just my personal experience with them. Really wish I had never used them even with just oebt in the tank.

#10 ·
Clear coating could be fun. Added bonus: the portion of the stones beneath your substrate won't get discolored.

Cubes are perfect for stumps and such because it's easy to get great side views. You'll probably find some that are branchy/rooty enough to create a cool look with pieces of stone.

Hurry up and scape these, we're getting impatient! Ha.

#12 ·
I will be when i add the beni.prl ebiten prl nikish prl.and feather.prl

Will also do the same with the pbl beni black impact and taiwan pbl

Anyone know a.good way.to clear coat the rocks and with what product

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

#16 ·
Thanks Liam, and your special sauce came in, thanks! For others this stuff is great to put under first before substrate or scape. I swear buy it and have used it in all my tanks during setup!

On other news.... My Sieryu Rock I purchased is not shipped even though they swear it is. Tracking shows no scan or acceptance other than UPSP label being created..... Poor communication by the seller. Takes multiple emails to hear back, and PM's forget about it..... Frustrated as I wanted to start my scapes

#17 ·
Sorry to hear you have been having so much bad luck lately. I do not understand why some people sell stuff if they do not have time to ship for weeks, I once waited like 2 months for a canister filter to come from Wisconsin to Connecticut. I have a whole boat load of stuff to get rid of right now, but I know I do not have the time to properly deal with it having a 2 month old and all. People never cease to amaze me.

#18 ·
Ok more updates got 8lb of Sierra stone clear coated it now doing a test to see if it leaches or the clear comes off submerged.

Also bought a manzanita stump and a couple pieces of manzanita. I have a bunch of moss and anubias petite on the way. Have 2 crypt nurris 2 crypt affins red metallic and a Nurri mutated.

Also picked up 2 finnex canisters for each tank

Sent from my iPad 3 using Tapatalk HD

#19 ·
So instead of using manzanita dot com, as they took forever to get back to me and then they never emailed me when they said they would, so I wilt to the hills of El Dorado county where I have some property and dug up some manzanita stumps. Think I am going to keep a couple for scapes, but I might sells some as I might make a bye weekly trip to dig up 4 or 5 and see if people want them. As they came out really good. Allot of work and then more work to clean them but they look great.

#23 ·
I will shoot some pics tomorrow for sure on the nano stumps I brought back. One is larger though more like a 40B or 30L could be cut to a 20L. But the others are all nano for 12-18" cubes or tanks, I can get some smaller next trip. I just used one to start my hard scape in one of the 12x12.... use it and 3 small sieryu stones I clear coated. It is pretty cloudy right now have a ac20 on it until my PX360 from finnex get in. I will be planting a small Crupt Nurri in it and a crypt affins red metallic as well moss will be attached to the wood when I do my second water change as well as some anubias Peteite.

#28 ·
This will be my PBL tank, have a crypt Nurri in it and a crtpy Affinis red metallic, with 4 back ground blyxa japonica . I will be adding fissidens, Anubias Petite and probably some mini xmass moss. Décor is a Manzanita stump I dug up from my property in Greenwood CA, also have some epoxy sealed Sieryu stone it, about 2.3lbs.

I put down Liams special sauce before starting and sprinkled some on the top as well. Filtration will be just a Finnex PX-360. Lighting is a Finnex Fugray. Added some BW mineral rock, will 3 shou balls in it and I think that will be it.

Other one will start a scape tomorrow! As it will have a larger nurri, and a mutated once I meet up with antbug, some blyxa japonica, 6Lb so seiryu stone clear coated and a smaller Manzanita stump, focus I hop to make on the sieryu stone. This I might add some Draw baby tears for a carpet

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.