The Planted Tank Forum banner

Need Shrimp Identified [Pic Heavy]

4K views 39 replies 10 participants last post by  MABJ 
#1 · (Edited)
So I just purchased some shrimp from my LFS but want to validate what I purchased. Here's what I've got:

Supposedly Blue Velvet Shrimp:

Supposedly Yellow Red Stripe Bee's (However there are two types of shrimp in here):

Any and all help is greatly appreciated! I have them in separate containers right now until I can validate they can be in my cherry shrimp tank and won't crossbreed. Thanks!

See less See more
#8 ·
I agree! That's why I had to get them!

caridina spinata are the maroon ones (sulawesi, warm temp, high pH, low hardness), top most look like a rili (neocaridina).
Thanks! So the maroon ones are identified and confirmed. What about the bright red ones with the yellow stripes? It seems like there are a couple of different kinds in the second group of photos as some have some black spots on the tails and some do not. Any ideas?

If those are blue velvets, they are missing a lot of blue. Also, I've not seen the dark tail on any of my BV.

And those do look like yellow striped red bees. aka goldflake shrimp if I remember correctly. How much did you pay for them?
I agree with you on them being Blue Velvet as when I looked at the pictures they weren't very blue to me.

I got the "Blue Velvets" for $3.99 each and the Yellow Stripe Red Bees for $4.99 each.

i always called them yellow fleck or something like that, i think. I cannot remember the common name.
http://www.crusta-fauna.org/shrimp-index/caridina-spinata/
Thanks for the link! Reading through it when I'm done updating.

Those are red goldflake shrimp, they are a Sulawesi species, and unless you keep your cherry tank with hard, high ph water and warm temps, they probably won't do too well in there.

Here's so more info on them.

http://www.planetinverts.com/red_goldflake_shrimp.html
Thanks! I tested the water from the shrimp as I got them directly from the supplier at the store so they were never pulled out of their bags they were transported in from the fish farm they came from. The water tested at 7.4-7.6 PH and my cherry shrimp tank is kept at 7.2. My tap water is 7.6 and I am currently in the process of raising the ph to the 7.4-7.6 range using crushed coral. I'm letting all the water mix in as we speak to re-check the parameters and to get as close of a match of what the shrimp came in to help improve the chances of survival. The tank temp is also kept at 75 F and I just placed a heater in to raise the temp up in the 78 F range. When reading through the information provided by both you and msjinkzd it mentioned that these shrimp are a little hardier than most Sulawesi species. Fingers are crossed though! Just trying to match the water conditions they are accustomed to.

What a score....wish something around here sold sulawesi shrimp.
He was supposed to get Tiger's in for me today but was unable to get any on short notice :icon_frow. Still love what I got though!

#11 · (Edited)
So here are my tank parameters after mixing for about 2 hours:

Tank:
PH: 7.4-7.6
KH: 5 degrees
GH: 15 degrees

Water they came in:

PH: 7.6
KH: 2 degrees
GH: 6 degrees

Recommended levels:

PH: 7.6-8.3
KH: Can't find
GH: 2-7

So my question is, how do I lower my GH without lowering my PH?

#13 ·
So I accidentally moved some pictures in photobucket not realizing that the link would change for them. Sorry for the missing pics. I thought I'd update with a couple more pics for everyone to see and also have some better pics to try and identify what these "Blue Velvets" really are. Thanks for the help!

"Blue Velvets"....Or are they?

Here are some updated shots of the Red Goldflakes:

Unfortunately this little one didn't make it :(

Someone was interested when I first got them...

Any insight on the top ones is greatly appreciated!

#31 ·
I've only been seeing them closer to night when the lights go out/feeding time. Sometimes they are out still in the morning before the lights come on as well. Normally I only see 2 of them out at night but last night I saw 4 of the 5 remaining shrimps. They go over to where the food is and start scavenging with the cherry shrimp. Before I threw the food in the tank they were just foraging around by themselves. I tested the water parameters again this morning and this is where I'm at:

pH: 7.4
Ammonia: .25 ppm
Nitrate: 5 ppm
Nitrite: 0 ppm
KH: 4-5
GH: 10

I've got a 10 gallon tank setup that is currently cycling to potentially house them but if they are doing well in that tank then I'll end up setting it up for some other shrimp. Here are the parameters before I used your calculator for adding baking soda:

pH: 7.4
Ammonia: .25 ppm
Nitrate: 0 ppm
Nitrite: 0 ppm
KH: 3
GH: 9

We shall see how everything goes with them in the 27 gallon with the cherry shrimp. If they start appearing to become sickly then I'll end up moving them over to that tank to attempt to keep them alive. Thanks again for all of your help!

yepper. If you have some that have adapted to different conditions than what other people have, you may "tip the ship" by messin' around too much with parameters.

On the other hand, sometimes to get them to breed you need to try some different things. So really, it's half a dozen of one, half a dozen of another. (Jeesh- how many cliches can I put in this post!?)
HAHA I contacted my LFS to have him get the water parameters and water change frequency that his breeder has successfully breed these shrimp so that I can go off of what they are doing since it has worked for these shrimp.

#30 ·
yepper. If you have some that have adapted to different conditions than what other people have, you may "tip the ship" by messin' around too much with parameters.

On the other hand, sometimes to get them to breed you need to try some different things. So really, it's half a dozen of one, half a dozen of another. (Jeesh- how many cliches can I put in this post!?)

#32 ·
Rilis for the ones with the red/yellow parts, the all blue ones are low grade blue rilis, sorry they won't color up any better unless you cross them with higher grade blue rilis/blue velvets...same shrimp just different names.

Red ones are Sulawesi Goldflake and will need High PH 8-8.2 and temp of 80+F to stay alive. They also require extremely clean water and substrate should be crushed coral. They are biofilm eaters and don't usually eat common shrimp food, so you need to culture algae on rocks and old sponge filters are good for biofilm.

I have raised both this type of Sulawesi and the Cardinals as well as Blue Leg Posos and can tell you these will not survive long without the above parameters. They are prone to bacterial infections, so keep them isolated in their own tank. They need very specific water parameters for them to breed. They won't breed unless the conditions are suitable for them. If you got one berried it was probably hit before you brought it home.

Good luck with both.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.