The Planted Tank Forum banner

New DSM journal

2K views 11 replies 3 participants last post by  GJL Creative Solutions 
#1 ·
5Apr2013
Let's see if I can keep my a.d.d. in check enough to maintain this thread.

I intend on putting all updates in this first post, arranged by date, and answering questions in any consecutive posts. All updates will be accompanied by pictures, albeit from the crappy camera on my galaxy nexus.

Startup pics

The tank w/soil

Cap

Plant selection will include:
Java's moss
Chinese ivy
Dwarf baby tears
Crypt lutea
Crypt wendtii
Cyperus helfiri
And whatever else I can find from my other six tanks

Oh, and selections from these driftwood pieces....which I am unable to upload pix from my phone right now, I will fix this shortly.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

See less See more
#3 ·
So, since I post almost exclusively from my phone, I've decided to change the layout of my updates. I'll just be keeping the thread moving and replying as I go.

So yesterday, I did the hard scape and a bit of planting. Got the crypt lutea, Cyprus helfiri, Chinese ivy (I can never remember the binomial nomenclature for this one), and some random lilly(I think) from another tank.

Plant Botany Terrestrial plant Aquatic plant Grass

The lily and Cyprus.

Plant Terrestrial plant Grass Flower Flowering plant

Chinese ivy

Terrestrial plant Plant Grass Flowering plant Soil

Crypt lutea

Vertebrate Organism Pet supply Mammal Wood

Full tank shot

Today I'll be planting the dwarf baby tears and crypt wendtii. Only one plant of the crypt wendtii though, and not very much of the baby tears, even though I want it to carpet.

Plant Flowerpot Groundcover Grass Terrestrial plant

HC

Ingredient Fluid Flower Liquid Plant

Crypt Wendtii

#4 ·
Got the HC and the crypt wendtii planted last night.
Plant Fluid Drink Liquid Glass

Plant Grass Annual plant Terrestrial plant Groundcover

The HC was a pain to plant. Because I have such a small amount of it, I had to plant individual stems with a pair of tweezers.

A new development this morning... white fuzzy fungus on the driftwood. I think my humidity might be to high as well.
Water Organism Fish Underwater Marine biology

Plant Wood Water Twig Grass

Last but not least, the FTS for documentation purposes.
Plant Grass Fish supply Pet supply Terrestrial plant

#5 ·
So, in reference to the white fuzz I mentioned...I did some research on the interweb with Mr. Google as my guide and the only thing I discovered is that it's a fungus of some kind. As for treatment, I have found only one account of someone applying isopropyl alcohol with a paintbrush. Anyone ever heard of this? I gave it a try, so we'll see the results tomorrow.

#10 ·
Won't be using co2, and the filter...well, not sure yet.lol. probably going to be something diy and low tech.

Edit to add: it appears that the alcohol trick worked. When I checked the tank this morning, all the places where the alcohol was applied, the fungus was dead. There were a few spots of the fungus/mold on the driftwood where the alcohol had not been applied, so I applied the alcohol to those places.

#11 ·
Tired the java moss to the driftwood in various places last night. It was quite difficult due to my lack of foresight. I should have done the moss before I put the driftwood in the tank. Having to wrap the thread irons the moss and wood in such right spaces proved to be quite challenging. I'm happy with the results though, now let's hope I can keep it alive, or even get it to thrive.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.