The Planted Tank Forum banner

Which animal?

4K views 32 replies 22 participants last post by  Fishies_in_Philly 
#1 ·
Any suggestions on the type of animal would fit this criteria?

Spend part of the time in water, part time on land.

Eat cherry shrimp, and guppies.

Able for the beginner to breed?

Curious about what suggestions will be. :)

#23 ·
I'd vote No to this suggestion. Pacman frogs have been know to drown. I will second that it is cool to watch them eat though.

Newts and Sals sound like a good option. I'm looking at setting up a FB Newt tank this fall/winter.

If you haven't bought a tank yet, I would go for a long tank instead of a tall tank. It will give you more options.

#7 ·
Partial to these lil guys, tiger salamander our new state amphibian woohoo lol. i havent tried to breed them i had them when i was yound but still love these guys. they shouldnt be to hard to breed though, and raising them through each stage is neat imo.

this guy was found when i was 4x4 and found him in this giant mud hole where i got stuck, as i was getting the chain hooked up this guy was just hiding in the mud, so i moved him till i got out so i didnt smush him. pretty neat to find them in there habitat as its the first one ive seen in a while there very good at hiding look at that camo :)

Attachments

#10 ·
IMO

breeding water turtles is hard in an aquarium, and you will need a lot of filtration et etc
----so no turtles
if you ever see an adult Tiger salamnder spending any real time in the water something is wrong! they are terrestrial species that are aquatic in their larval stage, during breeding and hibernation, and maybe the occasional 'dip'
----so no tiger salamanders

as far what you aare looking for--nothing comes to mind. (assuming that you envision your critter spend a good deal of time on land and in the water-and doing more than what could be accomplished with a simple water dish or a floating log).

--why not try for something easy and local---some easterm newts for the water part- they will eat little guppies and little shrimps, and maybe a toad or local frog that will sit on the land most of the time(of course you will need to feed the land critter some crickets)

#14 ·
I threw some endler fry into the small water portion of my tiger salamander tank thinking that they would be eaten. A few months later, not only have they not been eaten, but they have bred! The salamander tried to eat them at first, but they were too quick and it gave up.

Salamanders are pretty cool looking though, and mine will snatch insects right out of my fingers.

#16 ·
I have kept several different species of newt, the easiest to breed being Cynops orientalis, Chinese fire belly newt, as long as its heavily planted. Just two of these guys will make a small school of guppies disappear although I never personally seen them eat or go after them. My guess is they get them at night. And I've heard they will eat cherry shrimp as well.

#18 ·
here you go...the Bog Turtle. only grows about 4" and is semi-aquatic to the point it actually does more than just sit and bask outside of the water. breeding may be difficult in just a 20 long but i'm sure possible. Price for a captive bred will be really high though

#26 ·
Bog turtles are actually endangered, so no go there. :p I would heavily suggest either an eastern mud turtle, or a stinkpot. Those two are very small, with the eastern spending slightly more time on land, and the stinkpot spending slightly more time in water. Musk turtles of all kinds have amazing personalities. Very shocking to see a reptile so excited to see you every day.

I wouldn't give up on turtles so easily, if you get them to breed, it's pretty rewarding. I was considering building an out of tank location for them that would allow them to walk up and out of the tank, and into this location to bury their eggs. Still debating how I'd accomplish that, but I'm sure there are ways to make it look pretty cool. Especially if you incorporate live plants into the egg burying area.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.