The Planted Tank Forum banner

12G Club: Got a 12 GalloN RimlesS or wanna get 1? PoSt/SeE HeRe!

644K views 2K replies 297 participants last post by  saltmeup 
#1 · (Edited)

Featured is J&H's 12G Long

12 Gallon Long Rimless Club
(Mr. Aqua or GLA)

Hi! As I have discussed with a few fellow members with 12 gallon long tanks, it would be nice to have a thread dedicated to just 12 gallon long tanks. Its basically a thread dedicated to our small 12G long community in hopes of keeping it always exciting and drawing new interests everyday. This thread is open for ideas, questions, suggestions, etc. as a whole. Whether you already have a 12G long, looking for ideas how to design it, or simply thinking to get one, I want this thread and its members to help you in whichever way possible :biggrin:

Goals:
* Have your very own community focusing on 12G longs.
* Learn, inspire, share & support (Remember it as L.I.S.S).
* Give RAOK(s) from your very own 12G tank(s) for newcomers or to those in need when you have extra.
* Have fun! This is what it is all about ;)

Your Support Needed!: Link to our club by adding the pre-setup link below to your signature box. Just copy & paste to your signature box.

SMALL

HTML:
 [URL="http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=168088"][IMG]http://i.minus.com/izhPHb9PWOp01.gif[/IMG][/URL]
LARGE

HTML:
 [URL="http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=168088"][IMG]http://i.minus.com/iZhHcht953vTM.gif[/IMG][/URL]
It will look like this in your signature box if done correctly:

Banner Designed by Brian_Cali77

12G Journals = If you would like to recommend a journal - or of your own - to be added here, feel free to shoot me a PM! :bounce:

ADA: Panoramic Mountain Scape - CRS Habitat
Ach1Ll3sH33L: Ach1lL3s 12 long White Mountain
Amazonfish: Lara's 12 gallon long 'Tango'
andrewjohn007: 12g Long DSM with MTS
Anhvu: -="Bees Playground" Anh's Mr Aqua 12G Long=-
auski: Alan's Mr Aqua 12 gallon long
Aww: Aww's Scape #2 (Mr. Aqua 12G)

Bananariot: 12 Gallon Long Banana
BeastMaster: "Kahawai" 12 gallon long
beedee: Tranquil Valley // 12g Long Iwagumi
bigd603: 12 Gallon Wicked Long!

CalmSeasQuest: CalmSeasQuest's 12G Long Iwagumi
cdunson82: 12 gallon long first timer
CryptKeeper54: CryptKeeper54's Mr. Aqua 12 gallon long

dasob85: G's 12g long planted with driftwood
defiant: MR. Aqua's 12g Long Iwagumi Madness II the end!
DrakeScree: Drake's 12g long!!!!!!

El Funko: El Funko's Ubiquitous 12G Long
endgin28: The Black Gate GLA 12 long Iwagumi

_FC: First planted 12g Long (56K warning)

g33tar: g33tar's 12g Mr.Aqua -First planted tank
Geronimoumd: Geronimoumd's 12 Gal Long Journal - "The Jungle Nook"

HeathBar: 12g long - Low tech/low maintance

Kai808: Another guy... Another 12g long... Another DSM
Kosey929: 12G Long shrimp & tiny fish tank/very expensive cat water dish

larcat: Mr. Aqua 12 Gallon Long Mountainscape. Stocking ideas?

manualfocus: 12 Gallon Long Rimless "Escape"
mayphly: Mayphly's 12 Gallon RimlessTank
meowschwitz: Meow's 12G Long — "Triple Summit"
micr0: micr0's 12 Gallon Long
mweng0385: mweng0385**Mr. Aqua 12 Long**Journal (56K Beware)
mythin: Mythin's Mr. Aqua 12 Gallon Long

natebuchholz: 12 Long Journal...Creative Title
NeoShrimp: Miss My's 1st Iwagumi Journal: Mr. Aqua 12 Gallon Long
nerdariostomp: Nerdariostomp's 12g long

PJM: Mr. Aqua 12 Bookshelf Frameless Aquarium Journal

Ranbaral: Ranbaral: 12g long, Iwagumi on a budget
rdmustang1: A Twist on Mr. Aqua 12 Long
rocksmom: rocksmom's 12 Long Blue Velvet Haven
RumbleFish: Rumble's First Planted (12G Long)

sayurasem: Ray's 12 Gallon Loooooooong Journal Substrate Swap Completed
senor0kun: Another 12 gallon long
smracer31: 12 gallon long coffee table tank
somewhatshocked: Jake's Mr. Aqua 12gal Long/36" Shrimp Tank (pic heavy)

the_intricacy: the_Intricacy's 12g Long... double-fisted!
therash: therash's 12 gallon long

Waddy015: 12 Gallon Long Mr. Aqua

yellowsno: YellowSno's 12 gallon long... now with bba problems :(

See less See more
#979 · (Edited)
Looks like I found the right place!

I just received my Mr. Aqua 12g long, and was looking for ideas on planting it.

Lighting is Aquatic Life dual T5, it has two bulbs one is an acintic (sp?) not sure what the other is. Is a 10k and a 6500k too much for this tank? I have the light setting on the rim.

Filter will be a Ehiem 2213

I will also be running Co2.

I will be using Amazonia Aquasoil as substrate.

Plants, I am currently looking for HC but cant find any locally. I also will be using Dwarf Hair Grass as well for ground cover. Looking for other ideas as well.

I will be adding some shrimp, just unsure of which ones. Ill be adding 12 Pygmy Cories as well.

I am thinking of adding some drift wood and some rocks is I can find something that I like. I am looking forward to set it up, and get some pics.

#980 ·
Welcome to the club!

Yes, that will definitely be too much light sitting on the rim of the tank. With dual t5s you'll have to raise the fixture up a lot. A single T5 would be a lot, even with co2. Can you run it with a single bulb? If you can I would suggest that, but you will still probably need to hang it or add some window screen/mesh to cut down the light if you want to leave it on the tank.

#981 ·
Thanks for the reply rocksmom, I am unsure of if I would be able to run the fixture with only one bulb with out causing any issues to the fixture, but I will do some research. I plan on setting the tank up on my mantle so I would be able to hang the fixture from the ceiling if I have too.

#984 ·
Jaygee, I have some spare HC floating around in a container after my rescape if you want it for price of shipping a small flat rate box. I wonder if I could just stick it in a regular envelope though. Too bad you're not that close to me. I do warn you that its been floating since last monday (someone please chime in if it's too far gone since I have no idea. I think it still looks good though) and there are bits and pieces of java moss tangled in it but you'll have to separate the hc in smaller pieces to plant anyway so that shouldn't be a big issue. PM me if interested

Edit: just the HC, and maybe that piece of mini pellia if you really want it. I am keeping the anubias :p

#991 ·

Nice tank ADA. Wish my buces would show out like yours. Mines seem to be struggling. Great selection of plants.
Thanks, the only buce I have that flowers like that is this one. I forget what sp. it is. I have several different ones, my favorite is the Black Velvet.

#990 ·
Anyone noticed any price drop for these 12 longs since the last time which was over the summer sometime?

I would love to get one again for my apartment in Pharmacy school and it'll be nice if I can do all of the emersed growth now ;)

I'll be checking periodically and if there is a sale I'll be sure to make an announcement. Please do the same if you see a sale! :hihi:

#994 ·
I have one of these on order so I'll be posting a journal in the coming months :D

One question, I'm building a stand now for it but as I won't have the tank in front of me for a month or so I want to make sure I get the sizing right!

MarineDepot quotes the size as 35.4 x 8.3 x 9.4 in. Just want to confirm with a tank owner that building the stand for 36" length will fit without any spillage.

Also I'm assuming 8.3in is the width of the tank. I'm planning on an ADA-type stand but worry at 30" or so height it will be too tipsy. I made my last stand for a 20L out of 2x4s and it is a tank but I'm planning on just using 3/4" plywood for this stand.
I saw another poster bolted his to a wall, but I'm in an apartment so don't want to risk that!
I'm thinking to make the stand a bit wider (say 1ft deep) to alleviate some of this concern, anyone have suggestions on sizing? I'd rather not get any longer than 3ft.

#1,004 ·
I have one of these on order so I'll be posting a journal in the coming months :D

One question, I'm building a stand now for it but as I won't have the tank in front of me for a month or so I want to make sure I get the sizing right!

MarineDepot quotes the size as 35.4 x 8.3 x 9.4 in. Just want to confirm with a tank owner that building the stand for 36" length will fit without any spillage.

Also I'm assuming 8.3in is the width of the tank. I'm planning on an ADA-type stand but worry at 30" or so height it will be too tipsy. I made my last stand for a 20L out of 2x4s and it is a tank but I'm planning on just using 3/4" plywood for this stand.
I saw another poster bolted his to a wall, but I'm in an apartment so don't want to risk that!
I'm thinking to make the stand a bit wider (say 1ft deep) to alleviate some of this concern, anyone have suggestions on sizing? I'd rather not get any longer than 3ft.
i measured mine (its a gla brand though) and its 35.75 inches. I'm confused when you say wider? do you mean left to right or front to back? If I were to make my stand, I'd make it an extra foot when viewing front to back for all the trimming tools and small containers you're bound to have lol. of course, I'd make my stand at least 40inches tall ;) hope that helped

#995 ·
Just wanted to share a few more pics that I took with my iphone today:

And, here are some pics of my shrimp.. I'm thinking about putting some in the 12g.

I just noticed that the (TINY!) babies have bright red eyes.. has anyone seen this before?

Thanks for looking. Sorry about all the pics.

#1,008 · (Edited)
Hi everyone! I just purchased my first home, a small condo, and was trying to figure out how to incorporate a planted tank into my small living room. I had wanted a 40g breeder, but I think it will be too much for the space (hard to imagine for some of you, I know) and my new loan-owner's tiny budget. Someone suggested a 12 long... so here I am! Learning!

Thinking simple, maybe Iwagumi-ish scape to show off my CRS and some of my pretty male Japan strain specialty guppies (Tanaka breeder).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.