The Planted Tank Forum banner

12G Club: Got a 12 GalloN RimlesS or wanna get 1? PoSt/SeE HeRe!

644K views 2K replies 297 participants last post by  saltmeup 
#1 · (Edited)

Featured is J&H's 12G Long

12 Gallon Long Rimless Club
(Mr. Aqua or GLA)

Hi! As I have discussed with a few fellow members with 12 gallon long tanks, it would be nice to have a thread dedicated to just 12 gallon long tanks. Its basically a thread dedicated to our small 12G long community in hopes of keeping it always exciting and drawing new interests everyday. This thread is open for ideas, questions, suggestions, etc. as a whole. Whether you already have a 12G long, looking for ideas how to design it, or simply thinking to get one, I want this thread and its members to help you in whichever way possible :biggrin:

Goals:
* Have your very own community focusing on 12G longs.
* Learn, inspire, share & support (Remember it as L.I.S.S).
* Give RAOK(s) from your very own 12G tank(s) for newcomers or to those in need when you have extra.
* Have fun! This is what it is all about ;)

Your Support Needed!: Link to our club by adding the pre-setup link below to your signature box. Just copy & paste to your signature box.

SMALL

HTML:
 [URL="http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=168088"][IMG]http://i.minus.com/izhPHb9PWOp01.gif[/IMG][/URL]
LARGE

HTML:
 [URL="http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=168088"][IMG]http://i.minus.com/iZhHcht953vTM.gif[/IMG][/URL]
It will look like this in your signature box if done correctly:

Banner Designed by Brian_Cali77

12G Journals = If you would like to recommend a journal - or of your own - to be added here, feel free to shoot me a PM! :bounce:

ADA: Panoramic Mountain Scape - CRS Habitat
Ach1Ll3sH33L: Ach1lL3s 12 long White Mountain
Amazonfish: Lara's 12 gallon long 'Tango'
andrewjohn007: 12g Long DSM with MTS
Anhvu: -="Bees Playground" Anh's Mr Aqua 12G Long=-
auski: Alan's Mr Aqua 12 gallon long
Aww: Aww's Scape #2 (Mr. Aqua 12G)

Bananariot: 12 Gallon Long Banana
BeastMaster: "Kahawai" 12 gallon long
beedee: Tranquil Valley // 12g Long Iwagumi
bigd603: 12 Gallon Wicked Long!

CalmSeasQuest: CalmSeasQuest's 12G Long Iwagumi
cdunson82: 12 gallon long first timer
CryptKeeper54: CryptKeeper54's Mr. Aqua 12 gallon long

dasob85: G's 12g long planted with driftwood
defiant: MR. Aqua's 12g Long Iwagumi Madness II the end!
DrakeScree: Drake's 12g long!!!!!!

El Funko: El Funko's Ubiquitous 12G Long
endgin28: The Black Gate GLA 12 long Iwagumi

_FC: First planted 12g Long (56K warning)

g33tar: g33tar's 12g Mr.Aqua -First planted tank
Geronimoumd: Geronimoumd's 12 Gal Long Journal - "The Jungle Nook"

HeathBar: 12g long - Low tech/low maintance

Kai808: Another guy... Another 12g long... Another DSM
Kosey929: 12G Long shrimp & tiny fish tank/very expensive cat water dish

larcat: Mr. Aqua 12 Gallon Long Mountainscape. Stocking ideas?

manualfocus: 12 Gallon Long Rimless "Escape"
mayphly: Mayphly's 12 Gallon RimlessTank
meowschwitz: Meow's 12G Long — "Triple Summit"
micr0: micr0's 12 Gallon Long
mweng0385: mweng0385**Mr. Aqua 12 Long**Journal (56K Beware)
mythin: Mythin's Mr. Aqua 12 Gallon Long

natebuchholz: 12 Long Journal...Creative Title
NeoShrimp: Miss My's 1st Iwagumi Journal: Mr. Aqua 12 Gallon Long
nerdariostomp: Nerdariostomp's 12g long

PJM: Mr. Aqua 12 Bookshelf Frameless Aquarium Journal

Ranbaral: Ranbaral: 12g long, Iwagumi on a budget
rdmustang1: A Twist on Mr. Aqua 12 Long
rocksmom: rocksmom's 12 Long Blue Velvet Haven
RumbleFish: Rumble's First Planted (12G Long)

sayurasem: Ray's 12 Gallon Loooooooong Journal Substrate Swap Completed
senor0kun: Another 12 gallon long
smracer31: 12 gallon long coffee table tank
somewhatshocked: Jake's Mr. Aqua 12gal Long/36" Shrimp Tank (pic heavy)

the_intricacy: the_Intricacy's 12g Long... double-fisted!
therash: therash's 12 gallon long

Waddy015: 12 Gallon Long Mr. Aqua

yellowsno: YellowSno's 12 gallon long... now with bba problems :(

See less See more
#933 · (Edited)
Hi everyone,

First time here at the club. I just recently started setting up my 12g long:red_mouth and am looking for some advice on lighting. I recently purchased a Deep Blue 36" H.E. light with 1 T5 10k Deep Blue Bulb and 1 T5 6500 Aqueon Plant bulb. The height is about 6" above tank. I currently have cO2 running at 2 bubbles per second from 6-10 pm and lights going from 4-10. Will this be adequate to grown Dwarf Baby Tears? Any and all advice will be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

#934 ·
Hi there. Welcome!

I think you'll find you have too much light, and may have to raise it.

With that light I'd start at at least 18" - 22" away from the substrate (probably around 10" - 12" from the top of the tank). If there's a lot of ambient light around, you'd want to place it even higher. My advice is to start maybe a bit too high, rather than too low and drop it an inch per week until you find the balance.

Depending on your fauna, you might want a bit more CO2 as well. If you have sensitive shrimp, you'd have to keep the CO2 low, and be careful with it, but imho, 30ppm of CO2 is not enough. (are you using a drop checker?)

You have to consider the photo-period, and position of the tank (is it in a bright room? Don't put it too near a window, and definitely not within reach of direct sunlight)

Good luck!

#938 ·

Jumping on the bandwagon. Journal to follow shortly but going to attempt a DSM HC carpet. Had the tank wrapped for the past 2 days but have found white spiderweb looking mold starting to develop. So I'm going to keep it uncovered for the meantime and hope it recesses. Its been constantly above 30 degrees celcius here in Melbourne so hopefully there's still enough humidity in there.

#940 ·
My 12 gal long is on its way!!! I was curious what kind of small pressurized CO2 setups you guys and gals were using for these little tanks. I previously had a 260 gallon planted tank but nothing this small ever. I know I would like to have an electronic solenoid (work and college both full time) so I'm not always home to shut off/turn on when needed so lights and CO2 would need to be on timers. I have searched and found a few things. The 24oz paintball tanks have intrigued me with their compact design as I hope to keep this tank on a narrow cabinet that doesn't offer alot of storage.

#941 ·
12G Club: Got a 12 GalloN RimlesS or wanna get 1? PoSt/SeE HeRe! RAOK OFFERED!!!

I run aquateks paintball regulator/solenoid on two tanks. It's 90 bucks and includes a bubble counter and generally once you dial it in, it stays between 1 an 2 BPS. I'd recommend an atomic diffuser for them too since they run at higher pressure and it lends itself well to them. They break up the bubbles very well

#947 ·
I run aquateks paintball regulator/solenoid on two tanks. It's 90 bucks and includes a bubble counter and generally once you dial it in, it stays between 1 an 2 BPS. I'd recommend an atomic diffuser for them too since they run at higher pressure and it lends itself well to them. They break up the bubbles very well
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll be searching this one later today. Can't wait to get this tank going

#948 ·
Jumpers and cats! Anyone had luck with a cover? I tried a 1/4" plexiglass but it warps quickly and I have to flip it over every week or so. I would like to have rectangular cut-outs on the back for 2 HOB filters and a small drilled hole in the middle front for feeding and ferts. Don't know if custom cut glass would be possible (or affordable). Lexan claims not to warp - anyone tried it?

#955 ·
Went to the LFS today to pick up a light for my 2.5g. Out of stock.

What came home with me instead? You guessed it, a 12g long. It was too pretty to leave there.

I just started with planted tanks, and my current set-ups are teaching me a lot (the hard way). Once I have them running right, I will reward myself by setting this sweet baby up.

This thread totally gave me grabby hands for a 12g long.

#959 ·
start of something great

well after spending a boatload of money, things are starting to arrive.

So far, the tank and the light are up on the desk.

The original plan

TANK: Mr. Aqua 12 Gal Long
SUBSTRATE: [STRIKE]Eco-Complete Substrate Fluval Stratum Top Layer[/STRIKE] ADA Aquasoil Amazonia - 9 Liters
LIGHT: [STRIKE]Catalina Aquarium T5 Solar 2 Bulb[/STRIKE] Catalina Aquarium T5 Solar 1 Bulb
FILTRATION: [STRIKE]Fluval 106[/STRIKE] Fluval 206

MISC: [STRIKE]Sieryu Stones or[/STRIKE] Driftwood. [STRIKE]Maybe both. Still thinking it through. [/STRIKE]Wound up placing an order with PC1 but still waiting on a reply/tracking number. From what i read, he is very slow to respond :icon_frow

Property Computer desk Table Window Building

Rectangle Wood Gadget Output device Home appliance

Here is the start of a great project. Emersed growth starts next week.

#962 ·
12G Club: Got a 12 GalloN RimlesS or wanna get 1? PoSt/SeE HeRe! RAOK OFFERED!!!

Not sure off the top of my head. Ill tell you what they are when I get home tonight.

Carpet is hc, some tropica 049, cardinal plants. Ill name them in order when I get a chance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#966 ·
Hey all,

Ordered my 12G long today and excited to join the club once I get all my equipment in!

What Finnex LED fixture would you all recommend if I'd like to keep this tank fairly low tech?

I'm thinking either the 36" Fugeray or (3) 10" FugeRay-R's. Anyone have thoughts on this? I fear I will have to suspend the 36" FugeRay, but I should be able to pull this off. Additionally if I choose to go down the CO2/slightly more high tech route in the future, I will always have the ability to lower the light fixture at that point.

The PAR output on (3) FugeRay-R's should put me in a lower light category, but that's 3 power cords to deal with and a less minimalist look.

Looks like I just answered my own question!

A question for you folks running CO2 on your tanks: What is an estimated start up cost for a basic paintball system with the tank, regulators, diffusers, tubing, etc? How often do the 24oz tanks need a refill?

Looking forward to starting my journal and joining the club! :thumbsup:

#969 ·
photography

How do people go about photographing a long scape while capturing nothing but te inside of the tank. For instance, when I see pics of contest tanks, all I see is the inside and the water above which people like to add water ripples to. Is it mostly "photo-shoped" pics along with professional lighting. I'm curious to see if anyone here knows.

I'm always stuck taking photos from a distance and posting pics like the one above. I want to see my plants in better quality photos is what I'm trying to do while getting the whole layout as well.

#971 ·

How do people go about photographing a long scape while capturing nothing but te inside of the tank. For instance, when I see pics of contest tanks, all I see is the inside and the water above which people like to add water ripples to. Is it mostly "photo-shoped" pics along with professional lighting. I'm curious to see if anyone here knows.

I'm always stuck taking photos from a distance and posting pics like the one above. I want to see my plants in better quality photos is what I'm trying to do while getting the whole layout as well.
Your water is very clear. Impressive with such a small filter :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.