The Planted Tank Forum banner

flood light LED's

145K views 217 replies 51 participants last post by  sotosmac 
#1 ·
I'm going to take the plunge in LED's for 3 of my planted tanks, hoping to get some advice. Been reading alot about the Finnex on here and that seems to be one route alot of people are choosing. I came across a post on my local fish forum from someone who purchased LED floodlights from China. This company doesn't specialize in aquariums, just regular lights. He posted a video of his reef tank here.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0otFIEkWzw&feature=youtu.be&hd=1

The company he bought from was http://zxl-lighting.com/

Has anyone tried this company for LED lights?

#123 ·
Ya guys get us all excited and stuff with these lights. Now, I know I'm no brainiac or nuthin, and honest, I've read all through this thread twice, and I don't see a single item number for these lights here! I was intrigued by that round 20 watter, but when I go to ebay and search I find 250,000 led lights but not THAT light - would some kind soul please either enumerate each of these lights by item number here, or PM me if you feel un-inclined to do so in the forum? I was interested in the bright white units mostly, to hang 3 over a 40b.

Thanks in advance and if I missed the item numbers, mea culpa!

EDIT: I found 1 item number that worked.

#118 ·
I dont think the 20watt will be enough to break through all that water to provide medium light on the substrate surface... even more so if you intend to hang the lamp above the tank, which was why i was debating the 30 - 50 watt version of these lamps. im trying to apply this towards my 55g which has the same height as your 75 but not as much depth.

#181 · (Edited)
:(
those lights are ugly
Then build a hood for it.:icon_roll
I just wish these units weren't so darned ugly. Anyone feel like examining theirs and comment on what it would take to remove the guts and re-house these in an aesthetic fixture?
Seems it would be easier to just buy the little cree LED or LED bulb and put it in the lamp you want to use.

#134 ·
I just wish these units weren't so darned ugly. Anyone feel like examining theirs and comment on what it would take to remove the guts and re-house these in an aesthetic fixture? Retro fit them into, say, a round deep shade like the 8" diameter ones I have? ;)

#138 ·
#139 ·
I've been reading the discussion here about the LED floods and thought I would toss in my $0.02.

I just setup a new 36Gal tank and the 17w T8 that came with the kit wasn't anywhere near sufficient. So I thought I would try some of the Ebay LED floods.

I got 3 of the 12V, 10W version that are spec'd at ~6000k.
I checked these on the amp meter. At 12V each 10W flood is pulling 0.55A
12v was a personal preference due to past experience with cheap non-UL rated Chinese power supplies.

I have pictures of my setup using both the 3 LED floods and the single 17W T8.

I took the LED pics first then took pics with the T8. With all other camera settings the same, I had to lower my shutter speed from 1/60(LED) to 1/25(T8) to get the same light in the cameras light meter.

My first impression is the LEDs are VERY bright and light my tank quite nicely. I don't have a PAR meter so I'm going strictly on visual observation and comparing to the 17W T8 bulb.

The only potential problem I see is the little DC-DC power supply in the back of the light gets rather warm with the cover on. Once I opened the back cover, it cooled down and is just barely warm.

I think I'm going to retro fit these into the hood that came with the tank. From what I can tell they should fit perfectly. I might add a miniature fan to help cool things off and extend the life.

-Brian

#140 ·
I should probably toss in my endorsement as well. I have 10 of the 10w units and 6 50w arrays (diff but equally cheap driver and very similar array). The 6 50w arrays over my 100g are doing great as are the 10w arrays over each ~9g segment of the divided tank. The lower empty 30g in the picture has a single 10w over it and it's still pretty bright - plenty enough light for a fish only tank though I wouldn't personally try plants with that little light. I actually convinced my LFS to replace their old t12VHOs that were over their planted tanks to the 20w floods and they are loving them also - much brighter and they've considerably dropped the wattage they are running.

#144 ·
I have a 20w 6000k over my riparium. I used it to replace my dual t5 fixture plant growth is a little slower but I wanted that. The shimmer is awesome its similar to an indoor swimming pool.

I am waiting on a couple 20w 7000k I'm going to run over my 72g along with my t8 shoplight I will post pics when that's all set up

#145 ·
I was bored after getting home from work tonight so I decided to grenade my 10w LED for everyone here to see. My goal was to see how hard it would be to just use the components from this light in different applications. After taking it apart and putting back together again I am sure this will be a valuable piece of equipment in my upcoming tank build. Enjoy!

First thing I did was remove the mounting bracket. It was only finger tight when I received it so this was real easy.

Next I opened up the box with the driver in it. There are only two wires going to the driver and no wire grounding to the case. The wire connections are wire nutted together and then hot glued.

The driver, notice how it say 9w max output at 300ma.

Next I removed the nut from the power wire bulkhead. There was a nice silicone plug in there keeping it all sealed up nicely.

Then I started removing the screws that attached the driver's box to the light heat sink.

Since I planned on separating the the two components for a lower profile I then cut the wires going from the driver to the LED. Be sure to leave enough wire on each side to work with if you plan on doing the same.

Next I removed the glass from the front.

This glass is thick! I measured it at 1/8". There is no way a small light like this can penetrate this amount of glass without a huge drop in efficiency. I will be going out to the store tomorrow and trying to find a picture frame with a similar size glass but thinner. If you don't care about reassembling it as waterproof as it came or plan on using it above a glass top then you can just run it without the original glass (a lot of leds are run without protection from water, please correct me if this is out of line).

When I tried to remove the reflector I stripped the screw out. Since I don't really care I just cut it out with some snips. There were only two of the four screws in my unit holding the reflector in place.

With the reflector removed you can see the led panel.

I pulled the red and black wires I snipped earlier into the unit.

I then added an extra length of wire between the led and the driver. Any wire should do the trick but try and match it closely to what the manufacturer used. Here you can see how I attached it inside the led housing. Hot glue to hold the wire in place wouldn't hurt.

The reflector goes back into place (optional)

I reassembled the driver box next with my cord going straight into the box and the new light wires coming in from the top. I could have bypassed using the metal box again but I prefer to keep my chinese electronics somewhat contained in case of sparks. If you were to use some silicone you could cover all the excess holes and make the system waterproof again.

A picture of everything put back together but not sealed up and waterproof.

A profile shot to show how slim this makes the unit.

I can definitely tell it is brighter without using any light detecting equipment other than my eyes. The glass used in the unit is way to thick. I am running it without the glass and no protection between the led and the water right now. I am doing this to see if it causes any problems but I don't foresee any. Please let me know what you think of the write-up.

#146 ·
Excellent info! Thanks for that. It looks a lot smaller with your hand as a reference than I thought originally. It looks like I could probably fit it into my 8" diameter deep dome lamps. Can you paste the item # from ebay that you bought it from for me?

Thanks again. Really!

#148 ·
I just searched "10w led flood light". Make sure it is 120v and daylight spectrum. I don't like posting item #s as that is close to a recommendation and you should always check feedback before buying.

I don't think it would be that hard to remove the chip-set and remount it into an 8" dome. You could probably just mount the heatsink to the top of your reflector with minimal dremel work. Just cut off whatever keeps it from fitting and ditch the reflector it came with.

#151 ·
Where would I wire in a dimmer if I chose to add one? Does it go in between the driver and the led or between the driver and the power input. What kind of potentiometer would I need to make this happen? I am thinking about using multiple led flood lights in a single hood with the ability to turn up or down individual sections.

#152 ·
Unless that glass is tinted in some way it is unlikely to reduce the intensity of the light by more than about 10%. And, the 1/8" thickness is about as thin as it could be and still provide any protection for the LED. But, my DIY LED light has no splash shield at all, and it sits less than 2 inches above the water. It has been in use for about 2 years, with no problems.

#155 ·
I figured the glass wasn't all that necessary unless you wanted to keep the unit "waterproof". Even if it was a ten percent increase that would be a free upgrade that could be done by anyone who can remove four screws. I would love to see someone with a par meter pop out the glass and take some readings to see what the difference actually is.

#154 ·
What configuration of led floodlights can anyone recommend for a 140 Gal tank? I am looking for medium light, dimensions are 5 feet length by 18 inches width and 22 inches height. There's a bar in the middle so it'll make more sense to work with an even number of fixtures. 2x50W? 4x30W? 2x70W? Also, those things look heavy, where can i get secure mounting hardware?

Thanks,
Kat.

#156 ·
What configuration of led floodlights can anyone recommend for a 140 Gal tank? I am looking for medium light, dimensions are 5 feet length by 18 inches width and 22 inches height. There's a bar in the middle so it'll make more sense to work with an even number of fixtures. 2x50W? 4x30W? 2x70W? Also, those things look heavy, where can i get secure mounting hardware?

Thanks,
Kat.
I think they come with mounting brackets.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.