The Planted Tank Forum banner

Setting up my new ADA tank for Ebiten PRL

24K views 163 replies 28 participants last post by  sbarbee54 
#1 · (Edited)
As I posted earlier, my akadama substrate is no longer buffering all that great so it's time to set up a new tank while taking my old one down. I will also be taking a different direction with the shrimp. Going forward I will only keep Ebiten PRL which are currently housed in a breeder net to keep them separated from the normal CRS/CBS population. I have a ton of juveniles so starting a new PRL colony will not be all that difficult. I was initially going to get a cheap 20 gallon tank again from Petco but decided on a new ADA 60-P with 4 bags of ADA Africana and 2 bags of Amazonia as a cap (I like the black color better). I would highly recommend that if you have just one or two display tanks that you go with an ADA tank. Sure, they are more expensive but the difference is night and day when it comes to clarity.

I purchased all my soil and tank @ the ADA store in Ridgewood New Jersey. Here is their link: http://www.ridgewoodaquariumimports.com/
If you are close to this location go pick up a tank since they are not all that expensive if you do not include shipping. I picked up the 60-P (17 gallons) for 150 bucks plus 6 bags of ADA substrate @ 20 bucks a pop. Not all that bad.

I'll eventually be updating this thread with charts/graphs as my water cycles. I plan on having a snail / scud free tank so I'll be dipping all my moss and plants in hydrogen peroxide. Same will be done to some old hang on back filters which I will be using to cycle.

I will try to make this thread very easy to read and will post a ton of pics. Hopefully it can benefit some new hobbyists looking to set up a shrimp tank. For this very purpose I'll be posting prices etc so you can get a gauge how much you are going to have to spend...it's definitely not a cheap hobby if you want it done right.

This tank will be taken down and all shrimp sold off at some point:

New stuff:

See less See more
#152 ·
I won a bet with a friend of mine and she came over to cook me dinner so i had some spare time to work on a little project that I've been putting off. The light was so bright that I could only keep it on for 4 hours. I decided to build a little hanging system which has the light suspended about 7 inches from the water. I may no longer need floating plants but we'll see what happens in a few days.

Total cost was less than 15 bucks if anybody is interested. Items that were picked up at Home Depot as I randomly walked down every single isle looking for materials.

2 L-shaped shelf support brackets (they had multiple colors)
2 mirror wires (used to suspend mirrors)
1 packed of the little metal pieces that you clamp together (not sure of name)
1 packet of screws for sheet rock (the l-shaped brackets do come with screws).

Not the greatest looking thing but it will do. I was planning on buying a hanger that's already made but I have no room behind the tank. One more thing...the L-shaped brackets come in different lengths and the ones that I purchased were 10 inches.

#160 ·
I usually just fill the water in my shrimp tanks instead of dripping it. It would take too long and I would most likely ditch the shrimp hobby...:eek:

Hey Hedge fellow ct resident here. Really liking this tank. I will be doing something similar to your setup but for CBS come early spring/summer. Those are some beautiful prl you have there, you will have to let me know when your colony is large enough again and you are looking to rid yourself of some haha.

I did almost the exact same setup for hanging my buildmyled.com fixture over my 12 long supreme red/ oebt tank.
Looks great.

I actually changed my mind on this setup and will report with pics one of these days. A guy has been begging me to sell him some of my Ebiten PRL so I sold every single one except 1 female which I will breed with one of my new Crystal Whites. With that said, the tank in this thread is empty and it's just getting a ton of light, co2 and ferts. Plants and mosses are starting to take off now so I'm waiting for the tank to flourish before posting pics again. Not sure why I changed my mind but for some reason I got the "plant" bug again. I do have a primary shrimp tank already so there was no need for two. :thumbsup:

Then again...I might change my mind sooner or later and drop some shrimp in there. Oh yeah...the plant tank gets the most attention from everyone that I bring to my apartment so it's not a bad thing. :thumbsup:

#159 ·
Hey Hedge fellow ct resident here. Really liking this tank. I will be doing something similar to your setup but for CBS come early spring/summer. Those are some beautiful prl you have there, you will have to let me know when your colony is large enough again and you are looking to rid yourself of some haha.

I did almost the exact same setup for hanging my buildmyled.com fixture over my 12 long supreme red/ oebt tank.

#162 ·
It's filling in very nicely. I need about 2-3 more months until the HC fills in and then I'll post some great pics. I have so much co2 going in here that nothing survives. This is no longer a shrimp tank since I got really into plants (almost all the ebitens were sold off or put into my main shrimp tank to mix with everything else).

Pics will come in probably 2 months. It's really starting to look awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.