The Planted Tank Forum banner

Nugget's 4ft Canyon scape *new

5K views 34 replies 21 participants last post by  Nugget 
#1 ·
Hi guys

Okay so as some of you know, i dismantled my previous scape and after a lot of playing with different ideas, i finally went for this one. This will be a mix of fast growers and slow grower plants. The rock i got from a farm in Cullinan and it took me about 3 trips to get all the rocks. ill be using beach sand for the cosmetic sand.

To take out all my plants was a two day mission. But thankfully its almost time for planting again.

Specs of tank:
120x45x45 (cm)
pressurized CO2
DIY CO2 reactor and an atomizer
Twinstar nano
Tetratec ex 1200 and an eheim 2026 (getting it ready for my new 60P)
Vertex autodoser
Ferts : tropica specialized + KNO3 + KH2PO4
Light: ATI 6x54w (3 x 8000K , 3 x 10000K)

Now for some pictures

The last day of the old scape

Taking out plants and sorting them

Dirty water

Quick fix to dirty water

Took most of the aquasoil out and added new ferts in the soil again

Scaping

Some planting

Cleaned the equipment

And then to just wait and watch it grow

See less See more
#5 ·
Dude, get out of my head. Earlier this year, I discussed this exact scape with my wife, the only difference is the name and flora. Due to the fact that we live in Barbados and we are surrounded by water with tidal pools in some areas, that's what I named it, because to me it looks like a cross-section of one.

The hard part was translating it freshwater scapes, so like you I wanted to use moss and anubias for the rock-face. Maybe if I could get them, I'll try for some buces as well, typically the small-leaved varieties. Around that lower mid-section, I wanted to take advantage of the bushiness and brightness of Staurogyne. Lastly use a some interesting short grass like plant for on top of the rock.

Good luck with this scape and I will be certainly be watching with interest.

#20 ·
Really nice layout and certainly is going to get even better with time. One thing i noticed is that the middle island looks a bit tall. Im probably a bit crazy but find myself wanting to reach into the picture and remove the top rock.

The other thing i noticed is the back glass...above the twinstar it looks algae free and below looks green. Is that coincidence or is that the effect of the twinstar? Hope the thing works as i have one coming. GSA on rocks is what plagues me.

I see your pipes were clear and clean on 5/27 and now are solid brown....thats crazy...what is up with that?

Great job!

#27 ·
I have spent the last two years going through bulbs to get GSA growing only on the rocks. Still covers the glass but I can live/w that as it takes two weeks to be really noticible and one more to insure I don't miss any when cleaning it off...if you know what I mean. Not noticible enough and your likely to miss some.
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/picture.php?albumid=14281&pictureid=62562
So what kind of rock was that ? Looks awesome. Will stay subscribed to this one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.