The Planted Tank Forum banner

40 gallon tall tank

6K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  FORREST3320 
#1 ·
So currently have a 40 gallon tall tank that is being tore down for storage because I have a 55 gallon tank that is going to be high tech so i wanted to focus on that tank the most. But now I have a 40 gallon tall tank that should not be in the garage.

So if you had a 40 gallon tall tank and stand what would you put in it or do with it?

My thought would be 3 crested geckos but love to hear what you all think

#4 ·
Well I'm guessing you'd want something easy to care for so you can still focus on your high tech tank the most... Hmm... I'd go with a corn snake :D I know they are common so I'm not sure if that's a plus or minus for you but I always thought they were beautiful and interesting. Plus they will climb and use the floor space.

If your looking for something with more legs XD I would go with a leopard gecko as I like their coloration better, however I do know they are clumsy climbers so maybe a 40 high is a little much for them lol unless you would want to create easy to climb platforms.

Or if you really want more legs you could go with a tarantula. If you get an arboreal species I think they would be cool to watch as they would use more of the tank. Plus you could split the tank in half or in threes and the tarantulas would still have enough space. These are the things I would consider for an easy to care for tank.

#5 ·
dosent really have to be easy. I had a corn snake and traantula but this tank would be to big for either one. too much of a pain to get a lepeord out of the tank. I thought about amazon tree python but the are just way to price for me to drop $200+ on a snake cant do it. Just like crested geckos $40+. Also thought about 1 or 2 tokay geckos i know they aint much for handleing but dont really need to handle it that would just be a +

#7 ·
That's why I suggested splitting the tank up X3 but if you'd rather use the whole tank I understand. I guess I'm just a fan of smaller things, might be because I come from NYC apartment life lol. You could go with a bearded dragon, I've always loved them to pieces. I've also always been a fan of newts and salamanders. You could go for a low tech semi aquatic set up with a bunch of fire bellies.

#11 ·
I guess I'm just a fan of smaller things, might be because I come from NYC apartment life lol.
i call bull on this one, i have been to NYC many times and your cockroaches are bigger than my dog!!LOL
seriously though, if you are looking for a cheap animal that will utilize the height, either grey or green tree frogs are the way to go. $6-$7 each. you can feed them small crickets, also cheap and readily available. another choice for frogs would be white's tree frogs. a little more expensive $20/animal, and will live in a group without a problem. that sized tank, i would put no more than 3 in it. they are easy to care for and have great personalities.
as far as reptiles go though, i have no clue. i'm a frog guy, if you couldn't tell....LOL oh, and if price is a consideration, forget any dart frogs, they START at about $30-40/animal. good luck and keep us updated!!

#8 ·
beardies dont really climb if it was you typical 40 gallon tank then yeah enough room but it is i think it maybe a 45gallon hight tank i have to check the demsion once i am home. I do like the idea of semi aquatic but then i have to worry about water changes and alage so then i am back at the same reason why i am takeing it down in the first place lol but thanks for the ideas

#10 ·
That tank is an odd size, but i would find that a nice Amazon Tree boa would be perfect in there. They can be had for around $150, which is cheap for Arboreal Snakes. If it were Lizards, i would take a good look at Day Geckos. Bright green, Diurnal and very easy to care for. They are very fast, so not too handle able, but a very good display animal.

Crested Geckos would love that tank, but you have to worry about dominance and aggression issues as they get older. They are literally the EASIEST animal to take care of. No heat, no light, no live food needed. What else could you ask for?

#14 ·
That is a plus on the day geckos but crested geckos make noise and the ease of care keeps me leaning towards them because water and gecko food no bugs to breed and keep around the house i think I will look into day geckos just because it will be in my living room so with those pretty colors it would be nice to look at. If it was a screened i would get a veild chemeolon but its not so moving on lol I will do some searching on the day geckos for sure before i decided what i want. But thanks for all the great ideas

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.