The Planted Tank Forum banner

My new herp: Surinam Toad

2K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  le0p 
#1 ·
While at a local reptile show today I picked up a Surinam Toad (pipa pipa). I've been reading about these guys for awhile, just been waiting to see one for sale again.

I've done all the research I could find and figured I knew enough to care for it, but I was wondering if anyone else had experience with these guys and would care to share any tips.

I'll post pics when he shows his face again, he's hiding in the plants now singing his heart out.

#4 ·
Yeah, I've been dying to get one ever since I saw it for the first time. Luckily we get reptile shows around here every month or so.

I'm really happy with how he's acclimating too, I've read everywhere that they can be reclusive and not want to feed for days after being introduced to a new tank but this guy is looking good and already posting up in feeding position.

#7 ·
While everything looked good from the start, but two weeks after getting him home, my new friend (known as pancake), still wouldn't eat. I kept feeders in the tank and tried hand feeding worms every night to no success. Finally he accepted a worm two days ago but wouldn't eat again afterwards. I didn't have a chance to get to the store for some new feeders until today and...

SUCCESS, I saw him take down 3 minnows in the first few minutes after they hit the water. I could not be happier. I'd heard it takes time for these guys to get acclimated enough to feed but I wasn't expecting two weeks.

Just thought I'd spread my joy :)

#10 ·
If you don't have a tight fitting cover be careful to keep the water level down a couple inches from the rim. I keep a Pipa pipa in my classroom. I brought my first one back to school after summer vacation and filled the tank up to the top two days before school started. He went missing the next morning. Still haven't found any trace of him. I replaced him and the new one is doing fine, except many of the kids refuse to believe he's alive! They readily consume feeder fish and night crawlers (the frogs, not the students).

#11 ·
Very cool! (I mean keeping him as a classroom pet, not him getting out)

Yeah, I know the drill with that. I have 3 African Clawed Frogs as well. The first night after I moved them from a 5 gallon to a 20, two hopped out and went on an adventure. I woke up to my dog chasing one around the bedroom. She had picked him up but luckily didn't bite. I put that one back and looked for the others in the tank.. one was still missing. After a search underneath every piece of furniture he hopped out and went for the door. Luckily, they both survived and are still with me a year later (in a bigger tank though, the little piggies).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.