The Planted Tank Forum banner

55 Gallon Low Tech

7K views 31 replies 11 participants last post by  blue1delta 
#1 ·
#3 ·
Thanks!

I would like to hear some critiques because this is my second month into this and I'm very interested in hearing responses.

I plan on removing some of the rocks in the middle and placing the driftwood that is currently floating.

#6 ·
Brighter...

At the base of this piece of wood there is trident java and on either side three types of crypts with dwarf sag in front and needle leaf in the rear amazon sword also on the far right

Attachments

#9 ·
updated photo

added chinesis and I expect african water fern and some lace java in the mail tomorrow:icon_cool

Attachments

#10 ·
Update

Added wisteria and Limnophila aromatica

Changed out smaller HOB for Eheim 2217 and it makes a huge difference!

Changed lighting to Coralife 48" T5ho

Attachments

#13 ·
They really don't. I have had to change my layout to accommodate them for sure, but after a few months I don't replant uprooted things very often.

#20 ·
Need Advice

So I still really enjoy my 55g tank, but I am looking for some specific advice on some of the problems and shortcomings that I have encountered.I guess the biggest thing is substrate. I used less substrate than I should have. I plan on adding another bag.The fish did dig a lot, but only in certain areas of the tank substrate is regularly rising on the plants. I have combated this by allowing the fish to dig in two areas of the tank and only tending plants in the "drop zone" of the substrate the diggers eject. I think that by adding another bag I will be able to build up the planted areas to height that suits the diggers.
Also I am frustrated by java moss's inability to attach it self to wood. Mine grows a lot, but drifts around in clumps instead of clinging and spreading along the surface of the wood.The stuff drifts around and lands in places that disrupt the aesthetic.
My Limnophila aromatica grows, but stays a pale green until it reaches the surface and turns dark purple. This is nice, but I want them a few inches away from the surface to avoid being propelled forward by the spray bar. I would appreciate tips on how to properly prune this plant because I am not happy with my uninformed attempts.

#21 ·
I like your tank! I tried to put plants in my cichlids tank, but I have an orange freshwater Australian lobster, and he kept eating them...thus I have to settle for only 4 planted tanks...lol (one is not started yet).

Anyway, not a critique, just an idea...you might like lace rock. I see your moss attached to the wood...lace rock would make some kewl moss covered caves! And water wisteria would be an easy plant for the background plants and the really lower nitrate levels well. Just an idea that may or may not work for you.

#22 ·
I'll have to think about the lace rock. I have water wisteria in the tank it grows poorly rooted, but grows fast floating and requires tons of trimming to keep it from shading out the plants. Thanks so much for your input!:thumbsup:

#24 ·
Are you tying down the moss? If not I would spread the moss out as much as possible. Even if its bare on some parts. Then wrap with some fishing line or thread. Moss will usually grow under any parameters. To speed up growing just add some co2

#25 ·
It grows great and I have had it tied... It does stick, but I will have huge clumps drifting:icon_sad: and only a tiny strand will actually attach. I suppose the fish disturb it too much.

#28 ·
Mine is growing and slowly spreading. It does not grow very tall in my tank and does spread "like a weed" as most ppl say it grows in their tanks, but I only use liquid Co2...I feel like I might try to move to injecting CO2 soon.

#29 ·
Pardon my noobish question, but what is the species name (or common name) for that lovely spotted blue-green cichlid? Is that a severum?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.