The Planted Tank Forum banner

LFS in beckley WV

4K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  davidadelp 
#1 ·
i don;t know if anyone from wv actually checks this, but i'm moving to beckley in two weeks and was wondering if there are any worthwhile pet stores or if i should just go to specialty pets in nitro haha.

#4 ·
I live in Beckley for 15 years. There isn't much around specific to planted tanks when I left but I knew of a couple pet stores in the area that might be able to help you out.

There is a pet supplies plus near Wal - mart. They use to keep a tank full of aquatic plants. Their stock looks healthy.

There is a place called exotic jungle atop spragg hill. I wouldn't buy any live stock from there. Whenever I went in there it was a wreck and the tanks were filthy.

There was a pet land but the last time I was there they had either closed or moved.

Princeton is about 30 min south of Beckley on interstate 77. I have a buddy that still lives in Beckley and he goes there to get saltwater stuff now. I have never been but if they are into aquariums enough to stock saltwater livestock it is a pretty good bet that they have some stuff for planted tanks too. I unfortunetly cannot remember the name of the place but you can probably get a good idea from google.

#5 ·
exotic jungle is called pets n things now, and i agree. i live on cohen st right off spragg hill. there is a petsmart by the mall also, but it has a small fish section. no plants anywhere except psp. i usually buy mine online in the sns. specialty pets is an hour away, so i may just use them for fish. might have to check out the princeton store also.

#7 · (Edited)
pets n things is coming around in the saltwater dept. They just got a new guy that really knows his stuff, but there are 2 decent lfs in princeton. 1 in particular is personal touch pet store in glennwood a town near princeton. They have several plants but they put them in gravel and use flourish. So no dirt tanks and they have an awesome amount of freshwater fish and a decent saltwater selection. The aquarium in bluefield, WV is really good but limited in size.

#9 ·
yeah there isnt any really good LFS in beckley for planted tanks. PSP can order plants and discus for really good prices. I wouldnt buy FW from Paradise pets and petsmart carries limited stock, and no plants. Specialty pets in Nitro is a good place to shop for planted tanks. Ron is the main man who does the plants and FW planted tanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.