The Planted Tank Forum banner

Emergent Photo Journal

51K views 324 replies 46 participants last post by  johnson18 
#1 · (Edited)
I have accumulated an extensive amount of plants in my emerged setup over the years. As some of you may already know from APC, most of these plants are cryptocoryne. But recently, I've developed an interest in rare anubias and bucephalandra sp. as well.

Pictures will follow in a bit...

#3 ·
My setup is not ascetically pleasing but it is functional. There are currently four containers, all plumbed together into one sump for easy dosing and water change.

Another reason why I had the setup the way it is is because I am also a real sucker when it comes to fungus strikes. So, whey they hit, all I need to do is change the pvc pipe to elevate the water level to skim them out into the sump. Or, I could do the same when I want to grow something completely submerged.

Here is the 55g - mostly crypts:

30g - mostly anubias:

2 X 18g rubber maid tubs:

I will take some individual pictures when I repot some plants this weekend.

#12 ·
Thanks for the comments.

I don't check the humidity level but it looks like it is always on the low 90/high 80's.

For any fungus or this black slime algae (not sure what this is) issues, I raise the water level by swapping out the pvc pipe when either one of these gets out of control. The slime algae and fungus will float and skimmed to the sump. I'll take a pic of this later. I also have pond snails in there that will eat the algae and give back nutrients to the plants at the same time.

#17 ·
Yep those are pretty amazing plants, but hard to get into the US. A few years back Piptospatha reidleyi was apparently pretty common in the hobby in Europe, but I have looked around and can't find it anywhere.

Bucephalandra is in that same group of aroids with those other genera.

I have Schsimatoglottis 'Frosty Kiss' growing very well as a riparium plant.

#19 ·
#20 ·
OK, I have an emersed setup going and it is nothing like this. I am wondering what you dose, your light, how you keep humidity in check, and how you have everything hooked to a sump. Sorry for all the questions, but I am a newb. Oh, yeah, do you have any experience with Java Fern in a set up like this?

And I am loving you plants by the way. I hope one day I can achieve something like that.

#21 ·
Thanks for the compliment.

Here is a quick and cheap visio diagram that will give you a better idea on how my tanks are connected. The pumps from the sumps are pretty strong. So I get a good amount of water flow coming from the initial 60g acrylic to the 30g acrylic. I will likely change the plants in this tank that would enjoy rapid currents.

I also setup another 60g recently. It's hooked up to a sump on its own and I intend to go black water with this one.

I use osmocote in the pots and I give a mild dosage of miracle grow every other week.

OK, I have an emersed setup going and it is nothing like this. I am wondering what you dose, your light, how you keep humidity in check, and how you have everything hooked to a sump. Sorry for all the questions, but I am a newb. Oh, yeah, do you have any experience with Java Fern in a set up like this?

And I am loving you plants by the way. I hope one day I can achieve something like that.

#25 ·
Got ya. Before you set it up this way, did you have it the cheap way? Like just water in the bottom of the tank with no circulation and all that? That is how I am running my setup, and the water looks like crap.

#32 ·
I am thinking I need to do something for water movement, but I am not sure what. My water looks like liquid mud at the moment. I was thinking of making a false bottom and putting a small power head in the water and maybe a heater for the winter. Not sure yet though.

#28 ·
One of the 60 was in excellent condition. This was given to me from a distant relative. I bought the other 60 for 20 or 30 bucks at craigslist a few years back. This one was pretty worn down but I Polished the front pane and got rid of all the smaller scratches

The 30 g was given to me frOm a friend. This was also in good condition

#36 ·
That is what I was thinking. I was going to try to keep the temp at about 80*F or so. I noticed the higher the temp, the higher the humidity. I am also thinking of putting in a false bottom so I can have more water in the tub. I figure that would also help with the humidity.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.