The Planted Tank Forum banner

cichlid tank

3K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  OverStocked 
#1 ·
Well i added 4 cichlids to my tank yesterday. They are my first fish. Im not sure what kind they are, but my hunch is african. I already had a plant in the tank but i noticed today that there are lots of little tiny holes developing on the leaves of the plant. Not sure what this is from. The pet store ive been going to doesnt have a clue so i really dont know the classification of anything in my tank. The good news is that the fish get along great and are already feeding and like the plants. The taller plant is the one with the promblem. Someone suggested snails but i dont think that is the problem. possibly the additives i added in for the cichilds.

Ph. above 7.6
water temp- ~78 f.

You can see some of the holes in the leaves here. Im open to any advice. Thanks!

See less See more
#5 ·
African cichlids and plants just rarely works. I have SA cichlids(mids, convict, firemouth) and do ok... Also, the requirements of housing African cichlids is a bit more complicated. Malawi cichlids need groups, will easily hybridize, etc. They will eventually destroy your plants.

#12 ·
Because they actually grow them emmersed, or completely out of water (the plant/fish farms). It's nearly a scam, which frankly I sometimes can't believe isn't charged as false advertising.

Most pet stores don't even know this, my lfs in nj had no idea.. and didn't believe me until i showed the owner multiple websites.

#16 ·
I think I might have been a bit hard on you. It is quite natural to assume at first that the store would give you good advice and that they would educate you on your purchases. I would say most LFS are better than what you experienced. Most LFS would warn an obvious newbie that african cichlids are not your run of the mill tropical fish. To not even tell you that it was an african cichlid that you bought is pretty bad.

A good LFS will try to size up a new customer and find out what tanks and experience they have before selling them anything.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.