The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 more quick Q, need experts only

1K views 13 replies 4 participants last post by  GulfCoastAquarian 
#1 ·
ive just found some different lights on RS, i was going to choose the CF 55W 4000k lights but apparently they aint to colourfull being yellow green etc.

ive just found some T8 (1in.) Triphosphor Flourescent Tubes

hopefully a pro can assure me these are going to be fine and give off a nice white blue light..and that they will be suitable for good healthy plant growth..

i am trying to avoid buying any tubes that will make everything look yellow. i would like to achive a nice lush whiteblue colour range ..

the specs of the tubes are.. and i know there only t8's but still...

T8 (1in.) Triphosphor Flourescent Tube
18 Watt
600mm Lenght
Lumen Output = 1350
Colour Output = 6000K

it says they use High Frequency ballasts and if so ill buy a dimmable one because they are not to expensive.

these tubes are very cheap (£3.86 to be precise) and if are suitible i will be sure to get some. im sure they will go strait into a standard 30W arcadia T8 ballast.. if anyone thinks otherwise do say..

thanks in advance for any help

See less See more
#3 ·
there just cheap bulk bulbs for luminairs, not for fish keeping...

are we talking yellow that the human eye cant see.. or are these gonna be real yellow.. im running out of ideas here. i have a MH i can use but it will prolly catch my hood on fire.

i need cheap but cheerfull. i cant get any Fls any higher than 6000k. is there anyone who knows were i can get higher.. and pref from the UK

thanks gdominy

#4 ·
they are polylux EL lights... the PDF says they are 6300k to be exact..

they fall under the 'daylight' section comming after 'white'
the same they use in sports gyms... and dance halls they are normaly white as hell...

gdominy are u definatly sure they are going to be yellow?

#5 ·
If I were you.. I'd look for T5's over the T8's.. your price difference should be negligent for a quality bulb.

6000-6500k is certainly more on the "blue" side then 4000k bulbs... but they do not visually appear blue... in fact through any water with even the slightest tannin the water will take on a yellow/green look (under lower light condtions... under 2 watts per gallon). Every bulb is different however, so who knows.. maybe they will appear to be pretty white. I know all of my 6400-6500k bulbs look pretty yellow to me though

#6 ·
well thankfully all the tannin in my tank and dust particles seem to have gone after lots of water changes. theres still a trace... im a bit stuck as to do what then... i really dont want to (and cant) pay out for metal halides.. will t5's go any higher than 6500k?

#7 ·
i can only find T5's up to 3500k, but i havent look at specific fishkeeping ones..

can you possibly show me an example picture of a tank with 4000k lights, and possibly 6000k aswell...

#8 ·
hold up...
are T5's also compact florescents? the 55W setup i was going with before would still be a good idea.. minus the bulbs i was going to order.. i have found some 55W bulbs i can use.. heres the spec
--------------
ASL T5 Compact Daylight White Tubes

Produces an intense penetrating white light which is ideal for both Marine and Freshwater aquaria. With a colour temperature of 7100K (Kelvin) the ASL Daylight White Tube provides the optimum spectrum and output for the healthy growth of Corals, Macro Algae and Freshwater Plants....

are these really going to be 7100K? if so i will order them right now :D

providing you think there sutible that is :)

#12 ·
well im curious to if they are going to be any good now... i dont know what type of base the lights use... there for i dont know which ballasts to get..

does anyone know what fittings these types of bulb use?

the specific ones are here..

http://www.aquatics-online.co.uk/acatalog/ASL_Compact_T5_Lighting_Systems.html

the ballasts i can get are..

TCD/E types suitable for PL-S or PL-C type lamps and their equivalents using 2G7, G24q-1, G24q-2 or G24q-3 bases

TCL types suitable for the PL-L type lamps and their equivalents using 2G11 bases

DD types suitable for the 2D type lamps using GR10q base

any ideas?

#13 ·
Yeah, get a puppy. :wink:

Why not just buy the retrofit kit and the bulbs from the place you gave us a link to? That way you will get a ballast wired for straight pin tubes and your pick of tubes that will work with the ballast. I'm sorry, but you seem to be making this really hard when it shouldn't be.

#14 ·
I agree with Sean, you've got several good options. The 6300K T8 bulbs you first found for £3.86 are probably what I'd go with. As long as you're providing enough wattage, the spectrum will be just fine for plant growth. Maybe not perfectly optimal, but we'd be splitting hairs if that mattered.
Bottom line is you want a setup that will be easy to maintain, find replacement bulbs/ballasts for, and doesn't cost an arm and a leg!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.