The Planted Tank Forum banner

Hob filter question

3K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  hotrodprincess 
#1 ·
We have an aqueon 10 guiet flow hob. I think there replacement filter cartrages are a little over priced and if I keep changing them arnt I throwing out all the good bacteria my tank needs. Could I use some filter sponge you know the white or blue stuff that comes on the filter cartrages and make a little poutch so that I could just buy some filter media and change when needed that way the good bacteria is staying with the poutch and I am only changing the carbon. Is this a good idea or a totally bad one.

#3 ·
I have only ever used cartrages with our smaller tank but they were cheep these are not. What type of filter media does everyone recomend. The cartrages just say carbon. I figure I can either cut open my curent cartrage and change the media thats inside or I can just stich up my own little poutch and save my self a little money

#4 ·
Filter Media

We have an aqueon 10 guiet flow hob. I think there replacement filter cartrages are a little over priced and if I keep changing them arnt I throwing out all the good bacteria my tank needs. Could I use some filter sponge you know the white or blue stuff that comes on the filter cartrages and make a little poutch so that I could just buy some filter media and change when needed that way the good bacteria is staying with the poutch and I am only changing the carbon. Is this a good idea or a totally bad one.
Hello hotrod...

My tanks do fine without the chemical (carbon) medium. If you change out half of the water in the tank every week, you really don't need to use it.

As for the rest, you can simply rinse it well in some of the old tank water and put it back in the filter. Eventually, it will start to fall apart. At that point you should replace it. But it can be reused for several water changes.

B

#6 ·
Thanks for the video we are going to do something like. It will make our tank much more budget friendly. now to track down some of those bio balls. I would also like to fet a round sponge for our up take much better looking than panty hose.

#7 · (Edited)
There is a much easier way to deal with this.

Get an AquaClear filter sponge in a size larger that the filter box of your HOB. Toss all your cartridges in the trash. Cut the Aquaclear sponge so it fits snugly into the filter media area of you HOB. Leave 1/2" of open space under true sponge to aid circulation.

All you do going forward will be to squeeze out the some in water remove during water changes (Old Tank water). The sponge will last for years. I have done this for over 20years in all my HOBs, a pond, and a reef tank sump.

If you ever need chemical filtration. You can put some Carbon in a bag made from a woman's nylon stocking. Place the carbon bag under the sponge. Of course the sponge will ride a little high in the media box while running the carbon bag. That is a non-issue.

This is a Sponge replacement I cut to fill the unused Chemical Media container in am Fuval G3

#9 ·
+1 to DogFish's reccomendation. No need to buy anything on an ongoing basis. The foam will last and last and is all you will ever need. It does not loose its bacteria if rinsed, as instructed, in tank water. Better yet, once it gets a bit older the bacteria will develop a very sticky nature and will polish your water as good as anything can. Superclean.

#11 ·
I just took this one for you

On the right I used a sponge on the left I have Growstones a hydroponic media that I use in my Aquaponic System. I'm starting plants in that one.
These are on my Toxic Ten tank. I keep the one running with the sponge for use my Q-Tank. This way I always have an active filter running if I need it.

#13 ·
Thank you for going out of the way to take pictures for me. I will stop by the fish store tomorrow and see what kinds of sponges she carries. I do have some moss that is currently growing on a sponge in the outflowTo baffle it a little for our betta.

#15 ·
DogFish has some good advice up there.

I just want to second the bit about carbon not being necessary. The two main uses I can think of are trying to remove either medication or tannins from the water (which I would suggest not doing, they can be pretty beneficial to both plants and fish).

Back when I started, I had one of the old Tetra HOB, and it had a similar cartridge system. This was back when I still thought carbon was necessary.

I'm not sure specifically what I did anymore, but I cut open one of the old cartridges and either reclosed it, or encased it in nylon or a media bag or something similar, and would fill that with carbon that I bought in bulk containers.

If you have trouble fitting a sponge, you might be able to strip one of the old cartridges and use the frame from it as something to embed the sponge inside of.

#17 ·
I haven't tried DogFish's method, but for thinner pieces I've had good results with a thin, very sharp knife.

For thicker pieces, I've compressed the foam between two boards (if they are two narrow, the edge will be funny), and then using a thin, sharp blade.

I've also heard of (but not tried myself) of people soaking the foam in water and freezing it, and then drilling into it (to make a foam prefilter or something similar).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.