The Planted Tank Forum banner

Mr Fish - Covington, LA

11K views 19 replies 10 participants last post by  jester56 
#1 ·
Mr. Fish - Covington, LA
Exit 63 off I-12
(985) 893-4464
4465 Highway 190, Covington, LA 70433

I've only been to this shop once but was VERY impressed. Huge fish selection, all fish seemed to be in perfect health. Very helpful staff eager to help, but content to allow you to browse. I browsed for almost a half hour before racking up $20 in plant purchases including some gorgeous Rotala Indica, some nice Crypts and a very healthy Anubias. I've still got those plants today. They also had a huge pond section and excellent saltwater fish and corals.

#2 · (Edited)
Hey Gulf Coast

Do they have hard to find plants that aren't in most lfs(R. Macrandra, E. Stellata, things like that)? How's about shrimp? All that I can find down here are glass, and bamboo shrimp. I got directions for the place and work maybe 15 minutes from there, and was thinking of stopping there after work one day because I live across the lake.

#3 ·
It comes and goes. I've only been there twice (live about 70 minutes away) and one time I picked up some gorgeous Rotala Indica and the other time I found Hemianthus micranthemoides.
Since you're right across the lake, stop by and let me know! If they've got shrimp, I am going to stop by! My wife and I are going to be in New Orleans on Saturday for my birthday so maybe I can convince her to swing by across the lake on our way back. It's been a while since I've been there.

#4 ·
I'm probably going to stop there tomorrow depending on how tired I am after work. Will definitely let you know if I do. And Happy Birthday!

#6 ·
Sorry G. Coast, but no go on the shrimp. They didn't have any. I asked an employee and he said sometime they get some but he hasn't seen any on order for a long time. Very big store, but I though for that size it would have a better selection(hardly and plants). Which way are you taking to come down here, through Slidell or the Causeway? Causeway Pets is no more than 10 minutes from the bridge just over both overpasses, and past a couple of red lights on the right hand side(Yellow Sign) They usually get fish and plant shipments on Fridays. It's a nice little shop.

#7 ·
Argh, bummer they didn't have any shrimp. It is a nice store, but I also found it to be somewhat lightly stocked. I mean, it's nice that they can spread their livestock out over a greater area, but a bigger selection sure would be nice.

I've heard Causeway Pets is pretty nice. Never been, though. I'll have to see what our plans are. If we are going to stop by the fish store on the way to dinner in New Orleans, we'll probably come from Slidell. If it is on the way back, we'll probably take the Causeway. Think you could email me some quick directions from either side? sammyxp@gmail.com
Thanks!

#8 ·
I also live in Gulfport, well North of there in Saucier. Would you please give directions to Causeway Pets coming from Slidell on I12? Have you found any places in New Orleans with a fair selection of plants/fresh water supplies? We certainly don't have any decent places here in MS and I find myself getting most of my plants etc off internet.
Carla

#9 ·
I just talked to a guy here at work that lived in Metarie for 20 years. He said it's really easy to find Causeway Pets. I posted directions in the Causeway Pets Thread
You basically take exit 228 off of the 610, head south for a mile on Causeway Blvd and it's on the right. He said you might need to take 48th st down to Frontage Rd since he wasn't sure if you would be able to get to the pet store right from the Causeway.
Anthony, does that sound about right?

#10 ·
Yep you just take Causeway south, there's a street that follow right alongside Causeway maybe 15" over, hard to explain. It's on that street not directly on Causeway but it is visible from Causeway on the righthand side. Yellow Causeway Pets sign, it's right next to a car lot. It is the best I've found so far. I have seen some other shops with decent selection, but they were all poorly maintained. Incomatible species(Discus and Goldfish???), even seen one store where in every tank the currents were so strong that the fish looked like they were trying to swim upstream, and had a lot of diseased and dead fish in all tanks. C. Pets is very well run and have yet to see a diseased tank there.

#11 ·
Mr. Fish is really just a toy to the owner which is why the stock is so light. I am not saying that he does not care about his store, as you have seen it is on a corporate worthy size scale and VERY clean. Its point though is not so much to make money as just to be able to make some people happy and generate enough flow to keep it open.

I have never seen much rare anything there because of it, but sometimes they do and also if you shop long enough may talk them into ordering if available. I used to buy most of my animals from there when I lived in Mandeville so I recommend it, I actually replicated their pond on a slightly smaller scale at my parents because I was so impressed with it.

#18 ·
FWIW, there is now a Catholic Church where Mr. Fish was. I wish there was a well stocked and equipped aquaria store in the Mandeville-Covington area. While Petsmart has bits and pieces, they fall far short on ferts and plants. I won't even mention livestock. I've travelled up to Albany and Hammond on the promise of well stocked stores. But no such luck. So there's Amazon...

#19 ·
On the Northshore, it's just tough. I'm from Slidell and have always appreciated the service at Pets Plus and Delta Pet. I can't speak for the stocking as I'm only interested in one type of creature.

But as far as southeast Louisiana goes, it seems like if you want a good selection of stock, you need to go south of the lake. You won't find good service in Baton Rouge, that's for sure.

#20 ·
I went to Delta Pet and picked up a few things. Honestly, I didn't see much that lit my bulb. It seems to be an organized mess. And their prices leave a little to be desired... Never been to Pets Plus, but may have to make the drive.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.