The Planted Tank Forum banner

ineedfire's budget 10g low tech.

3K views 31 replies 8 participants last post by  ChadRamsey 
#1 · (Edited)
Okay as some of you may have already read in my intro thread, I'm setting up my first planted tank (will also be low tech) and as I don't want to spend a whole lot of money getting an experimental tank up and running. I'm basically re-using everything I can. Total cost of this project should be pretty much only that of plants, substrate and ferts. Thankfully, I have been given a HOB filter from a friend, have a spare t8 light fixture, have an old 10g tank laying around, and have some skills in a workshop with plenty of machinery for my custom lighting frame I will make up tomorrow.

So I will be posting my progress on my small DIY projects that should save me a bit of money and look good in the process. I wont go too far into detail with them though unless asked.

There should be one or two posts straight after this one with my progress from today. The lighting frame I will make up tomorrow.

Sorry for any slow progress.

#2 ·
Please excuse any and all pics, I have only my iPhone front camera. The main camera is broken. Also theyre all hosted by tapatalk. I hope they show up on the normal site view.

Well first off I am reusing my t8 fixture from my spare 3ft tank. It was a freebie with my 4ft tank I got from a friend. It had a tonne of hard idontevenknowwhat on it. Seemed like algae or something. I took it to work, sanded it back and repainted it Charcoal. Needed it to look decent since it won't be under a hood, instead will mount from a custom fabricated frame, hanging by chain so I can adjust height if needed. This frame will be completely custom to fit onto an existing table in my lounge room without damaging it. This will also be free since I work for a company with plenty of recourses and a boss that loves me haha :)

Here is a before and after pic of the fixture. (it looks more blue in this light for some reason.)

#3 ·
My friend gave me a HOB filter that seems like the perfect size for my tank. It needs a new filter pad and I might add some bio balls of they'll help? But anyway. He gave it to me because the o-ring was stuffed and leaked everywhere. I took that to work this morning too and siliconed it up. Works perfectly now. Pics aren't needed of a siliconed up filter haha.

So now we move onto tonight. I had the idea to paint the back and base of my tank with the same color as the t8. So I taped up every side of the tank I wasnt painting including the open top, and started layering.

Here is a pic of the actual charcoal color. Sky Rectangle Wood Building Line

#5 ·
Ok so quick update.
I decided to repaint the light fixture white and keep the end pieces black. Seems to contrast a little better.

Have welded up my stand and started a first coat of charcoal paint to match the background of the tank. Also changed the design of the frame to save some time.

Will have fully assembled and working pictures tonight.

#7 ·
HEY! Awesome update for any of you who are waiting for my DIY projects to come together.

I'm really happy with how my lighting fixture has turned out. Looks really good in the lounge room and the stand makes it feel a little more professional than just sitting on top of the tank like i had it. I made the feet to easily slide over the table so I don't damage it. Wiring is hidden fairly well and run in convolute. Also had to put a new plug on the end so I could run it through the RHS. Looks neat though.

As you can see the tank is in pretty bad nick with a bunch of scratches. The painted back seems to add a lot of depth, even without Substrate or a hard scape. Comments and critique would be awesome guys! :)

#10 ·
Well here is my PFS. I thought it would be white not red. But it looks alright.
When I was playing with my hardscape layout and put the PFS in it was smoking like crazy. Should I wash it somehow to get rid of the dust/silt?

A pic of the smoke cloud.

Layout 1:

Layout 2:

Layout 3:

I feel like I need more height. I have a limited amount of stones though. I can't really justify buying stones just yet either unfortunately. I would love some feedback or tips guys :)

This is my first proper attempt at a hardscape, so be nice haha.

#11 ·
I like the first configuration the best.

And ya, if I'm not mistaken, given the distance between the substrate and light in a 10 gallon, 20 watts should be plenty for low tech. Since you're not going with dirt, you'll probably end up with DIY CO2, even. Too much light and you'll not find yourself being "low tech" for long. :)

#15 ·
Thanks bud. I am also pretty torn between them. Might have to go to the same creek I pulled the rocks from and try to find some more.

Im hoping to try and keep this on budget haha. I'll invest in my next tank if this one isn't a total mess.

#17 ·
UWell a little bit of an update. Had some dw soaking under the house for the last week or so.. Left it in the yard for 20mins to dry out a little so I could play around with some more hardscape layouts. Turns out my daschund loves to chew on dw. But anyway. I tried a few layouts with it and it doesn't seem too lost.

Sorry for the extremely poor quality pictures. Only my front camera on my iPhone works :/

Layout 1:

Layout 2:

As you can see he has chewed the top and some of the roots at the back. Might be able to make it work as a 'stump' though.

And yes I know I need to remove bark and such. Will be a bastard to properly cure I think since there is a bit of crap between the roots (where they cross and such) I will be out hunting for more stone and dw this weekend anyway.

#19 ·
I was thinking maybe java fern behind it. And behind a rock formation on the opposite corner. Anubias sort of surrounding and on the side and maybe top. Then java moss as ground cover.

Will see how it goes curing or if I find something I like more this weekend.

#20 ·
Great job so far on your first tank!
That driftwood is pretty neat. I would stick some java fern on the top of the stump to get some height (narrow/needle would probably look the best). Putting anubias around it sounds like a great idea. Maybe tie some small anubias (petite would probably look the best, but it's a bit expensive) onto the 'roots' of that stump?

#21 ·
Thanks bud. Will see what my LFS has soon enough and see how much I can buy at once. Still have a bit of prep to do before I start planting and flood it.

I tested my HOB filter that I siliconed up after leaving it for a few days to cure properly and it seems that there is a bit I have missed.. Leaks worse than before, lolol. I will have to re-seal and retest it again before setting it up in the living room haha. Am yet to replace the media in it also, will go with ceramic, sponge and filter wool I think..? Just have to find a way to layer them properly. Might make up some steel mesh grates and wedge them between each layer. I definitely want new media before I finally plant and cycle.

Was thinking of trying DSM but I am pretty impatient so hopefully my preparations will suffice. I may throw a thin layer of gravel from my turtle tank into the filter just to help start some of the bacteria. Would anyone object to this?

#24 ·
Read -
Jello recipe lasts me about 3 months Rolo

Downfall of having the co2 go directly into your filter intake it decreases life time of your filter. For causes strain on the impeller blades and shaft housings. Plus there is the effect of co2 on plastic and the rubber bushings at the ends of the impeller shafts.

#25 ·
I'm kind of leaning more towards building a pressurized system. Was going to build one eventually. I might as well try one out sooner.

Thanks for the link though! Was an interesting read. Might try it on a spare tank in the future.

#26 ·
Just a smaaallll update to let you guys know what I'm up to:

Will be a busy weekend coming up. I'll be attempting to cut down my 3ft tank without disassembling it.
Should hopefully get around to getting filter media and making dividers for the HOB. Which means I can finally start to cycle the tank..
Will be hunting for a LOT of new features for my tank (plenty of rocks and dw).
And I'm getting Austar (pay-tv) hooked up as well haha. Should be a bit of progress and updates soon enough :)

#27 ·
Picked up some more stones today. Still need to wash and soak them.. I was impatient and wanted to try some layouts though. Would love some critique on them and maybe some plant placement suggestions. :)

1:

2:

3:

I'm thinking since I have a HOB filter with the long intake tube, I could use the large stone to hide it..

Have 6 new pieces in total. Will play with them some more after they're all cleaned up. I'm stepping away from driftwood for a while since its so damn high maintenance with the tannins and all.

Edit - added 3rd layout.

#29 ·
Thanks frontieruk, nice to see your still following this ;)

I have another layout for you. I'm liking the mountain scape idea otherwise it'll have to be more like the first layout with a large open area for a carpet or something. I just want to start planting this tank already!!

And some close ups. Ignore the dirt.
Bedrock Wood Formation Volcanic rock Outcrop

Bedrock Wood Trunk Formation Outcrop

#30 ·
Well I've made some progress. Not so much on my planted tank but I set up a 3 foot tank in my room haha. Ignore the rocks it's just weighing down the dw till its properly waterlogge
Vertebrate Sky Wood Gas Heat

As you can see the house we're renting is on a bit of a lean haha. I love this piece of driftwood though. I think I will set this up as another low tech tank once I get the hang of my 10g.

But anyway, I do have a question I hope someone can answer for me:
In the following pic you can see that my large rock is basically isolating my back corner where the intake tube for the HOB is located. Would this be bad for flow or would it be good to suck up the 'stagnant' water. The HOB is around 500l/h I think so it's way too big for this tank. It will be probably less than half the full flow setting.
Wood Automotive tire Floor Flooring Glass

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.