The Planted Tank Forum banner

Help would be nice

2K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  Meganne 
#1 ·
So I started a tank journal, and I am running into problems, and since no one reads that thread, I started a new one to address my problems. About a month ago, I started a 3 gallon cube emersed setup.
Substrate- Eco-Complete
Lighting 1x 13w CFL
Flora- HC
Dwarf Hairgrass

I planted the DHF about 1 week after the HC and since then, my HC has really taken off, rooting and spreading and all that jazz. My DHG however, is pitiful. It really has not shown much sign of growth. Really only signs of death. I gave it a haircut in hopes that it would help, but still nothing. I mist with water laced with Flourish, and thats about it. Can ANYONE help me on this? Or will my DHG die in vain? I've scoured the internet, but I don't see anything that seems to be in common with other problems I read about.

See less See more
#2 ·
Try pulling a bunch of the hairgrass out and see how far the runners have spread and whether any hairgrass has started growing up but not penetrated the surface yet.

You should also try and separate the hairgrass into individual stems, it will be much faster that way

#5 ·
Ok I am not an expert and am very new to the hobby myself, but I will offer my experience with DHG. I bought some from my LFS as kind of a "not sure if it will grow or not experiment" After planting in a new tank (no Drystart) It looked just like yours with alot of dying patches, but still some green. Like you I posted and found that mine was probaly grown emersed like yours and had to regrow new submerged growth. As the weeks have gone by (10 or so) I have been very suprised to see it make a full recovery and spread like a weed. Now obviously you are trying to drystart but, is it possible that the place you got it from had it submerged so long that it now has to transition back to its emerged growth form?? Im not sure just a theroy. From what I have seen so far its alot hardier of a plant than the internet makes it seem, I have sucessfully introduced a clump into my 10g low tech and its spreading quite a bit in like 2 weeks. I would say to be patient and as long as some makes it till flood day I think with your set up it will rebound.

#8 ·
I put mine in sand and I only had issues with it floating up when I get too close with a siphon hose. With that ecoC I wouldnt expect it to float as long as it was flooded slowly, and heck if it did with a 3g just reach down and poke it back in. I pulled up a huge clump with runners one day, it went all the way through the tube to the bucket, I just replanted and that patch has shown no ill effects. I cannot offer advice on when to flood though as I have never done a DSM. Good luck!

#10 ·
If you do, then do it before the leaves finish melting because then they will grow emersed leaves and once you flood it they will die off and re-grow submerged.

I say the HC is enough to justify it.

#14 ·
I am new to this but...going on two months and my submerged DHG is just starting to take hold. think mine was grown emerged and has had to re-establish itself submerged.
by the looks of your HC i would flood the tank and have patients for the DHG.

looks good. ... and yes, there are so many journals I think you needed to post your concerns in this section as they get burried on the journal page

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.