The Planted Tank Forum banner

The official EDGE thread

1M views 2K replies 489 participants last post by  DWPC 
#1 ·
I thought I would start this thread in order to share information, ideas and pictures that pertain specifically to the "FLUVAL EDGE" such as lighting, heating, filtration, stocking, etc.

Brian.

- Inspired by architectural styling, the EDGE aquarium, a 23 L (6 US Gal), 6 sided closed top glass aquarium, 3 dimensional water cube provides a unique visual effect capturing emotion and serenity within a contemporary setting.
- Provides high definition viewing from every angle
- Sealed glass top provides high definition viewing and reduces evaporation for less maintenance.
- Retractable halogen lighting system, suitable for aquatic plants and casts a unique shimmering effect.
- Removable cover for easy aquarium and filter access
- Overhead ventilation grill dissipates lamp heat and avoids moisture
- Powerful easy to use EDGE filter with 3 stage filtration to ensure clear water and a healthy environment.
- Overall dimensions: 36.5cm H x 43cm W x 35cm D
- Tank Dimensions: 22.4cm H x 43cm W x 26cm D

See less See more
#1,841 ·
Here's a tank I just recently set up for my sister.

It was cycling with nothing in it for a week or so before I added some plants. Hopefully the diatoms start to clear up soon. I'm planning to change up the plants and scape and eventually get it low maintenance/low light. Progress on it is hampered by having to bring out the bucket and siphon whenever I want to stick my hands in to change something, so most of the time I put it off.

#1,843 ·
Does anyone have suggestions for where to get the socket/fixture thats compatible with the "Fluvial Edge 10,000K LEDs" So I can Make a DIY rig for my 12gal Edge?

It's probably been discussed somewhere in the thread and I apologize if it's already been answered and I missed it.

I have the built in LED bar model, and I bought them the other day not realizing they were only compatible with the halogen model? and now that I have them, I thought I would cut back the arms on the LED bar that came with it and make space for the 2 bulbs for extra lighting.... if I can find and rig, the fixture for them?

thanks for the help ;)
-Matt

#1,854 · (Edited)
$100 Fluval Edge 6 gallon package with Filter,Lights,Plants,Driftwood,Endlers

Hey guys,

A friend of mine is quitting the hobby and is trying to sell his 6 gallon edge along with all his components like the Aquaclear 20 filter, LED lights, Black Bar Endler colony, and plants which include java moss, ferns, amazon swords, anubias

ALL FOR 100$

There is algae in the tank, but all of this for $100 is quite the bargain..

He's from Southern California, specifically the Fullerton area, so pickup can be done if you're in the area! Contact jonathan.s.pae@gmail.com for details and pictures!

#1,858 ·
My new fluval edge!

Hi Folks
Having had my eye on the Fluval Edge for some time, done copious amounts of research and read this entire thread! I finally purchased a 46 litre and have it set up! Had it running a week and a half before adding 3 crystal red shrimp...they've been in a week now and seem to be doing well. Will stick with stock lighting (LED kind) and have a mix of fake and real plants...have selected low light plants (currently have the lights on for 10 hours a day) Will I need an algae eater in this tank do you think? Have had larger tanks before and plecs did the job then, but now sure if I should get something smaller for this one?...came with an anti algae sachet...have not put this in as yet...any thoughts?
will try and add pics!
Melanie
:red_mouth

Attachments

#1,865 ·
I could use some input. I have a 6g Halogen Edge, haven't ever set it up. I'm looking to upgrade the lighting and wondered what the current options are. I kinda wanna keep the DIY and expense to a minimum and I don't need high light. I just want a bit more light and to get rid of the heat and yellow color of the halogens and the poor coverage of them.

I forget if these come with MR11 of MR16, but what is the purpose for using the ones that fit improperly? I believe I've seen both models at Home Depot, can't remember if they were LED, but I believe they were something other than halogen. Do you get decent coverage just using these and not adding a CFL?

I saw a youtube thread of a mod where they replace the 21 LED lamp with the 42, but do these bars work on the old halogen model? Are they even available anymore? The link posted on youtube about the mod was for Amazon and they no longer have them.

Anyone selling kits in the US? I saw one that looked nice, but it was in the UK.

I guess my last option would be to de-lid it. I kinda wanted to keep the slick look, but I'm now considering it. Anyone's tank break from that? What light would then be a good one to go with?

Thanks!

#1,879 ·
I would go with MR16 - they have higher output than the MR11. I actually replaced the sockets, which was not hard. MR16 output with the right bulbs is higher than 42LED Fluval kit. You can always try just jamming the MR16 into the MR11 sockets. If you are not happy with that, you can switch.

I switched to a 12G and had the 6G mothballed, but I put it back in my office. And with the MR16 and CO2, it is now my favorite tank! The 12G with stock LED lighting seems hard to scape naturally. I ended up supplementing the natural plants with a couple of high grade plastic replicas to make it look ok without going through too many. I cringed, but like the results.

But the 6G with MR16 is definitely the sweet spot.

#1,868 ·
You can stick and MR11 or MR16 bulb in the halogen EDGE. You can get decent coverage with a wide angle of either but MR16 would give you more PAR. I used to have 2x of these and it was a ton of light.

Amazon.com: TORCHSTAR LED MR16 6000K Daylight Spotlight 12V 4W (330 Lumen - 50 Watt Equivalent) 60 Degree Beam angle: Home Improvement
Thanks, I didn't know about the "wide angle" models, I'll have to look into that.

So there's no issue putting in the MR16's other than the fit being tight? I thought some people were doing an upgrade to some of the electronics to make these work. Just want to make sure it's safe. Also, would you say the ones you linked to push it into high light territory? I want to keep this tank low tech.

#1,869 ·
Just joined this club! Wife picked up an Edge for $64 on clearance! I want to keep it low tech. I am ordering a ZooMed 501 to replace the tock filter. Whats been the best update in terms of lighting for this without having to DIY? i.e. better bulbs and so forth?

I am also considering taking the top off, seems pretty straight forward.

#1,871 · (Edited)
Review of EDGE after two years running

In case anyone is wondering about how the EDGE stands up over time, I recently tore down the one that I'd had running for the past two years. Here is a summary about the wear and tear I have noticed:

Rust & Corrosion:
  • The mesh screen on the hood it totally rusted - which sucks and is a stupid design flaw. That thing gets constantly wet from back splash and evaporation - super dumb to not take that in consideration when selecting materials. This started to be noticeable after 1 year. At 2 it is now totally ugly & I would want to replace it were I to set the tank up again.
  • I've also noticed corrosion around the pin-holes that the bulbs plug into. I'm not sure exactly how bad that is but it can't be good.

Filter
  • Held up pretty good - But then, Aquaclears usually do. Mine needed a really good scrubbing when I tore it down to get water deposits off but it's still in good working condition and will likely be re-purposed some day.

Tank
  • Also held up really well, except for a few places that I accidentally scratched its in good shape. The only thing is that since its so darn hard to clean I don't know if I'll ever get it back to sparkling new. So there's that.

NOTE: My Edge was out of the first iteration of the product - before they redesigned the light bar to include LEDs, so maybe some of the problems I noticed have been resolved in the more recent versions.

If anyone has any specific questions about wear and tear over time I am happy to answer them :)

EDIT: A note about CREE LED MR11 bulbs - when I first set up the tank I used these instead of the stock Halogens. The worked great but since they are not sealed against water they started to corrode after about 8mo to a year. I ended up buying the replacement LED bulbs that Hagen sells and I would definitely say that they were worth the slightly higher price point. They are sealed and waterproof and comparable to the MR11 CREE bulbs in the amount of the light they give off. Just thought I'd let you guys all know that if you are considering which bulbs to buy.

#1,876 · (Edited)
Eheim auto feed for my 46l Edge.

I like the Eheim auto feed for my 46l Edge.
I set it on a block of 2x4 wood (1.5 " side to raise it above the edge "lip") with asparagus rubberbands (thick rubber bands keep it from walking").
It took awhile (measuring dispatch amounts on paper sheet, over and over) to adjust feed door position for the wanted amount of flakes.
I use flakes - and break it up a bit as to not block feeder door with a large flake since my opening was small. Micro pellets proved too small to dispense small enough amounts for a 46l tank, and my fish won't eat pellets.
I set the Eheim for a morning feeding (small amounts) using the once a day feature plus the 1 minute delay feature. It assures that all fish are aware by the second roll of the Eheim and the earliest pigs don't eat all the food.
I leave the top hood off while I'm away so that I didn't have to modify the hood. Could be a problem with flying fish?
I recommend adjusting a week before leaving for vacation to be certain it'll work - everything worked well for 3 weeks total. Could have gone on twice as long.
Be sure you install new batteries - many reviews brought attention to supplied batteries dying, causing failure.
Hope this helps.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.