The Planted Tank Forum banner

Shrimp Breeders

Tags
kent
13K views 76 replies 18 participants last post by  starfire12 
#1 ·
I'm a new shrimp keeper in the Kent Area. I'm hoping to find a few like minded individuals who may be interested in trading or selling or buying from each.

I currently keep:

Golden Bees
Blue Pearl
Fire Reds
Crystal Red and Blacks
Sunkist Shrimps

#7 ·
Puyallup here... what's the purple shrimp in the second picture? Is it a cardinal?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S III using Tapatalk 2

#10 ·
Hi Binbin, I've not heard of brackish Sunkist shrimp. Do you have a picture?

#12 ·
Pretty. Let me read up on those. Need to see if they can permanently live in brackish, and/or how/when to acclimate them from fresh to brackish.

What water parameters are they currently living in?

#14 ·
Will get back with you ASAP... A mad rush here tonight and now about to walk in to work. (Graveyard worker here!)

One thing I Googled said that these shrimp live in mangrove swamps. If so, they should do fine in brackish tanks.

#15 ·
Any pictures of the Sunkist shrimp yet?

#17 ·
Well, I may be interested in trading but would like to see pictures if you can take some.

#19 ·
They are nice, curious if the opaque (orangy milky) look is normal for Sunkist.

#23 ·
Midway Pets just south of SeaTac on 99 sells Cardinal shrimp for about $13.00 each. They also sell yellow rabbit snails, a companion species.

#28 ·
I started with 6 cardinals and down to three now. I lost one due to screwing around with the GH and then 2 more when my heater sensor left the water and cranked the temperature up to 90! =

At $13 a shrimp those were some costly losses. I would house cardinals completely separate from your CRS. Those two in no way belong together in the same waters. I suggest getting a substrate that will buffer your water a bit. Although I have heard of folks having success with CRS at that PH as long as the water is stable and clean they should be fine.

If you have the funds I would invest in some aqua soil amazonia though.

I've had mixed feedback on OEBT. They do not breed true and can be a bit finicky. Your offspring can range from regular tigers to really dark tigers. They never come out as nice as the parents.

I almost got some too until someone told me about their experience with them. So I've decided to go the taiwan route and have 10 coming. =)

The shrimp list so far now is:
Tigers
Blue Pearls
Yellows
Fire reds
Cherries
CRS
CBS
Golden Bee
Blue Bee
Blue Pearl
A couple of left over ghost feeders
and BKK and WRs on the way.

Its a bad addiction.

#48 ·
I started with 6 cardinals and down to three now. I lost one due to screwing around with the GH and then 2 more when my heater sensor left the water and cranked the temperature up to 90! =

At $13 a shrimp those were some costly losses. I would house cardinals completely separate from your CRS. Those two in no way belong together in the same waters. I suggest getting a substrate that will buffer your water a bit. Although I have heard of folks having success with CRS at that PH as long as the water is stable and clean they should be fine.

If you have the funds I would invest in some aqua soil amazonia though.

I've had mixed feedback on OEBT. They do not breed true and can be a bit finicky. Your offspring can range from regular tigers to really dark tigers. They never come out as nice as the parents.

I almost got some too until someone told me about their experience with them. So I've decided to go the taiwan route and have 10 coming. =)

The shrimp list so far now is:
Tigers
Blue Pearls
Yellows
Fire reds
Cherries
CRS
CBS
Golden Bee
Blue Bee
Blue Pearl
A couple of left over ghost feeders
and BKK and WRs on the way.

Its a bad addiction.
Good advice....and in heeding it,

I just purchased a 20 gal. to move my CRS into so I can stablize the water perimeters easier...so I've got a Cascade 700 canister filter, 1 large sponge filter for the tank and purchased some Fluval Shrimp Stratum for my substrate. They are currently on CarabSea Natural and I think that is upping the PH. Dunno. I've been using DI water, and intend to make the move of them today. Wish me luck - I've managed to keep all 10 alive thus far although I had my first berried female last week finally shed her babies and I managed to see one, but now they are all gone - I am guessing the water perimeters killed the babies. Hoping this change over will give the babies what they need to survive. I don't have live plants in the tank - just mosses, riccia and subwassertang.

#30 ·
Federal Way here!

I made an egregious error stepping into this heroine like hobby. I got 10 s+ CRS from Seachaz in Bothell and in a couple weeks ordered 20 SS and accidental SSS with shipment from a seller off [Ebay Link Removed] So far 2 berried females. I guess I can't really join this convo until I start culling. Reading everything on forums and keeping to general consensus from the wise ones on these beauties.

CRS Tank, mixed S+, SS, SSS (most are juvies)

29 Gallon old school Biocube planted
72-74 degrees
ph 6.6
kh 1
gh 4
dry fertz (everything but KNO3 and CSM+B) Following Tom Barr's EI schedule
CO2, 2 bps 24 hours
76 watts T5HO lighting 10 hours with 3 hour break mid day
eco complete substrate
AC 70, H.O.T. w/ bio wheel, sump connected to UGF (next week adding another canister w/ UV filter)
Various plants I have no idea the names just bought from Midway Pets and Burien's a Place for Pets.

Question: How do I decide what kinds of shrimp to cull out of my batch?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.