The Planted Tank Forum banner

Official SunSun Pimp Club

103K views 493 replies 191 participants last post by  Patriot 
#1 ·
SunSun Filters are great bang for the buck. After my review and finding some folks here that have SunSun's, I think it is time for a SunSun pimp club.

To join please post here and put your this in your sig!

SunSun Pimp #(your number here). I will slowly update the original post to reflect this.

To discuss the SunSuns(don't bash them here, head over to the review/discussion in my sig for that!)

1. over_stocked

#158 ·
Got mine yesterday and putting it together. :biggrin:

It came with:

bottom tray: 3/4 in. of white filter floss and 18 black bioballs

middle tray: 1/2 in. of white filter floss and some ceramic media

top tray: 3/4 in. each of white floss then 3/4 in. of blue scrubby stuff and a bag of carbon.

Other than putting my Purigen in the top tray do I need to modify this any....or add to?

And one more question...can I be number 46?

#160 ·
I order two of them and neither one came with a single thin except the thin filter floss. One is the 302 model and the other is the 304b than comes with the uv sterilizer. I wonder is it just the seller or if I just received an older box. :confused: I don't see why you can't be #46

#161 ·

ON the left is the 304B and the right is the 302. You can clearly see the difference in size. Even the hoses are thicker. Right I'm looking for a way to connect the two different sizes by using some sort of joint or adapter because my 20 gallon don't have enough room for two different spray bars and intakes.

You can see the spiraling design to slow down water to allow more contact to the uv light. I read somewhere that the plastic may not be UV protected so how long would it take to degrade to the point where it is unusable?

#164 ·
How many should I use?

I will be ordering the appropriate model(s) for my 60 gallon as soon as I figure out what to get. what would I need for this tank? I also would like to hook it up to a couple of loc line returns. is one filter enough flow for 2 nozzels? any suggestions or ideas so I can get this thing ordered would be helpful.

#165 ·
I finally put the Perfect HW302 I got last month into service. So that makes me a pimp with a stable?.. both SunSun and Eheim. Was looking to save a few bucks and decide to try the low-cost champ. So Pimp #47.

Only got the basic filter media: three 1 inch floss pads. Using lava rock in the first two baskets and one pad. Going to add more loose floss in the last basket when I get another bag from the store.

#166 ·
only cheers? no jeers?

The first post in this thread was on or about 12/28/2009. Am I still hearing only cheers after a year and some usage? Or do we have some jeers to hear after some use and abuse by the various SunSun pimps? Enquiring minds want to know. Thanks.

stu

#170 ·
The first post in this thread was on or about 12/28/2009. Am I still hearing only cheers after a year and some usage? Or do we have some jeers to hear after some use and abuse by the various SunSun pimps? Enquiring minds want to know. Thanks.

stu
Been running strong and silent, still loving it! ;)

#169 · (Edited)
ill take #50
Going to order the 4 stage 525GPH for a lightly to medium planted 90 (that isnt setup yet).
what seller did you use? the one i found is "discountaquatic"
4 stage "Sunsun"

Hmm, i received my filter today, came in a box label aquatop aquatic supplies
LOOKS exactly like a SunSun, no mention of sunsun anywhere though.
The ebay seller is the same one the 3 stage units were purchasded form in this thread.
That said there is no mention of SunSun in the eBay ad either.
Say designed in california, built in china
Its a model cf-500uv
Are yours labeled/called SunSun? or is this common.

#175 ·
I was ready to throw mine out the window when the lower tray jammed at the bottom, the handle broke off while trying to remove the tray, and the spirals inside the UV tube are sharp enough to fillet a nice piece of flesh off your finger should you try to pull the tray out by sticking your fingers through the hole! :mad:

I actually got heart-attack angry at an inanimate object. :icon_redf Oh well.

Matt

#177 ·

I've been running my 302B w/UV for 5+ months now and it rocks. Best filter for the Money.

But you can make it work better.

A few observations:

1) The Instructions SUCK! Pics on the side of the box! WTF!
. Inlet Right (At rear with air purge in front)
. Outlet Left (At rear with air purge in front)
. Plumbing= make your own*
2) Get rid of green hose, it grows algae, replace with black hose.
3) Filter basket handles are crap, pull out of baskets or break. Toss 'em in the garbage and use the UV holes to lift 'em out. Reduces restriction of flow too.
4) * Stock plastic plumbing is junk, replace with PVC (paint black) and hard plumb tank to 5/8" flex hose of filter.
5) LUBE all o-rings! Liberally use canola oil or vasaline on top/inlet/outlets!
6) Filtration choices. So Many to choose from. I've listed 6 I've found for the 302B 3tray models. T=Top, M=middle, B= Bottom

a) T=50m pad+scrubbies+100m pad, M=8 scrubbies, B=Sponge(?)+50m pad+flosss
b) T=floss, M=scrubbies, B=biomax rings
c) T= floss, M=biomax rings , B=scrubbies
d) T=sponge, M=bio balls+scrubbies, B= Bio Balls
e) T=Floss, M=Bio balls+rings, B=scrubbies
f) T=50m pad+100m pad+balls/rings, M=scrubbies, B=Sponge(?)+flosss
G) Mine#1) T=50m pad+floss+100m pad, M=50m pad+Biomax rings+50m pad B=50m pad+bio balls+50m pad
H) Mine#2) T=50m pad+floss+100m pad, M=50m pad+Biomax rings+50m pad B=50m pad+ Scrubbies.

I'm still learning how to fine tune this filter for optimum filtration, repost in a couple months.

Im also looking to pimp my sun-sun (got a couple more) with increased inlet/outlet sizes, pressure meter, basket-o-rings, larger impeller sizes and different filtration combos.

Lets learn how to make these cheap filters work better than the BIG boys.

Looking for others filtration combos & Ideas.

Pimp # 52 Roy sigining up for duty.

#179 ·
I have 2 sun sun's

im thinking about getting one of the new models that do 550gph and have a uv

i recently had a problem with one sunsun because of my water hardness constricting the impeller onto the white rod that holds it, i removed the rod and cleaned it a little and it seems to be working fine again

still dead silent can't tell their on by sound. gotta feel them or look at waterflow

#185 ·
Is anyone having or heard of these filters shutting down? It would be running fine and just stop pumping with power still on. I've taken it apart multiple times to see is something was getting stuck in the impellers but no luck. The magnet was hot but that should be be normal right?

#190 ·
I don't know what # I am. Been using this filter w/ 4 media baskets for a month now. Love it! I haven't opened it to clean yet, but don't plan on it for some time as I'm using old media to seed it.
Glad too see the above photo. I had no idea what that part was for either. I just kept the plug on that it came w/.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.