The Planted Tank Forum banner

Official SunSun Pimp Club

103K views 493 replies 191 participants last post by  Patriot 
#1 ·
SunSun Filters are great bang for the buck. After my review and finding some folks here that have SunSun's, I think it is time for a SunSun pimp club.

To join please post here and put your this in your sig!

SunSun Pimp #(your number here). I will slowly update the original post to reflect this.

To discuss the SunSuns(don't bash them here, head over to the review/discussion in my sig for that!)

1. over_stocked

#129 ·
U could make the holes on the spraybar larger if you wanted to reduce the flow. An inline ball valve on the output hose will also do the trick. I have my 302 on a 10 gallon and the flow is tremendous, but the Panda cory's in the tank don't seem to mind. I just have one spraybar attached and it is pointing upwards to the surface. I have only cleaned it once in six months and the flow is still pretty strong even though the tank is heavily planted.

#132 ·
Yea, only running the floss pads and sponge that came with it along with some bio balls and ceramic rings. I have more bio balls on their way(it came with 13, only fills up half the basket) I might see what breaking up the rings and adding more would do, would add more surface area and flow restriction I'd think.

Adding the 2nd spray-bar section slowed the flow down a lot, but it's now blowing from back to front instead of from left to right. It still makes ripples in the surface, but now doesn't look like there is a tornado approaching in the tank.

#134 ·
sun sun pimp #40? :) actually shhh we should not tell so much about these great sunsuns, then the price of these great filters might be bumped up!!!

#139 ·
Having received my 303b, I am Pimp numero 43. :red_mouth

Now I have to read through a few posts on the best way to set it up!

I'm pretty pumped! This one came with a bunch of media. White or blue filters in everyone, plus bio balls in another, bio rings, and a bag of carbon in the other two! Pretty cool.

Matt

#141 ·
I jumped on the bandwagon and purchased a 302 for my first canister filter ever! I should get it within the week. Can anyone make any recommendations for filter media - preferably available from local stores for a good price? I am not familiar with what normally gets placed in a canister. I currently run a HOB with charcoal, a sponge, and some bio media stuff - though I am not sure I need charcoal as my tank has been cycled for over 5 years and I never read any ammonia.

Advice?

Thanks,
-Andrew

#143 ·
Ya, very quiet! Mine is sucking a bit of air at the connection of the inlet "snorkel" and the green tubing. This air builds up in the filter and then discharges through the spray bar in bursts. I'm sure there is a simple solution. I'll have to play with it when I have the time.

Matt

#145 ·
It's probably just the coffee typing but I have one last thought.

The bottom tray on my filter came with a white filter, floss/pad. This pad was not cut to the exact footprint of the filter tray. It was flat on one side leaving about a 1/2" strip of basically bypass. I cut a new piece from some Koi Pond filter material and replaced it.

Was the original piece suppose to be cut that way?...To improve flow?

Thanks!

Matt

#149 ·
Ah, it's sucking in air where the nut is to tighten the hose into the intake assembly? I did have a bit of issue with that, basically have to push the hose all the way in and while pushing, screw the nut down over it so that by tightening it, it doesn't push out the hose. Takes a lil work but once you get it you shouldn't have to mess with it again.

If however it's the skimmer or sucking in air between the plastic pieces, I'm not so sure as I haven't seen that happen yet. :(

#153 ·
I'll take Pimp #43! I've got a HW-302 on my 40g and loving it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.