The Planted Tank Forum banner

do I have to do co2?

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  MarieH 
#1 ·
I have a 30g with a 3 foot finnex ray II Is this high or medium light? I tried diy co2 but because its below the tank the results are on and off to non existent. I'm using a check valve and there seems to be not enough power to push up from below the tank. If I remove the check valve there is back flow into the tube. I'm done with the sticky mess.
I've been adding a half cap of excel every one or 2 days. I have a small piece of fontanus and some pelia which don't seem affected so far. I read they don't like excel. Of course the stem plants are doing great, and my glosso is spreading. Should I just leave well enough alone or will I eventually face disaster due to the light. I leave it about 9 hours per day. So far speck green algae on the glass that the ottos take care of pretty well.
Thanks

#2 ·
I dont know much about LEDs, but can you state your tank size and depth? Also you shouldve posted in the lighting board as the Canadian section is a little quiet :)

The problem with high light is that pressurized co2 is essential along with fert dosing. If one or the other is missing, bad things will happen. If you have high light and no co2 and ferts, your plants will grow weird and have holes in them, due to lack of nutrients/food. Algae might also be a problem. But seeing how your glosso is spreading I guess you are dosing nutrients?

#3 ·
If the specks on the glass get to be too much, you could always just grab a sponge and wipe it away...or one of the magnetic algae scrapers. lol
Or just reduce the amount of time the light is on.

Also, how do you like the Finnex lighting?
Did you order from the Canadian Finnex website?

Been thinking of getting one for my 20 long but haven't entirely made up my mind yet.

#4 ·
Hi

Thanks. I just got back from vacation, all is well. I see some thinning of leaves on the hygro so I asdded flourish and excel after a 50 percent water change. Had a bit of green water but it seems better now, I`ll keep up with the w/c. Maybe co2 in the works. But the glosso has almost doubled and is spreadng faster than my e.tennelus that I might remove to make way for the glosso..

I recommend the finnex highly. I just wish it had moonlights, the tank looks awesomest at night but I can`t leave the lights on until dark lol. I`m wondering if there`s a good way to add moonlights without too much added wires?

th tank is about 16 inches deep and 12inch wide by 3 feet long. 30 gallon I think.
I got the finnex from someone in ontario, very prompt, there is a link in this canadian section. Pay by paypal.

email canadapleco@gmail.com

#5 ·
my honest opinion is that co2 isn't necessary if you go for easy plants to grow, mosses, anubias, etc. if you want to go for plants with colour then you will need to go for co2. however, if everything is doing fine just go with it. if not, try looking at the paintball co2 method like what i am doing to save time, effort and cost.

#6 ·
I now have a simple 2x2 litre diy running with fleischman yeast. Its running well. I think I'll see how long im good for and I'm going to try wine yeast, molasses and gluten mix next. Its running on a bubble ladder now but I think i'll set up a 1 litre plastic bubble counter next go and run it into the filter. I was not using enough yeast, and I removed my check valve, there was just not enough oomph to push up into the tank. I know its dangerous no check valve but I'll just keep an eye on it. I'm planning the paintball thing too, but I'll give this a go for a bit since I got it working. My pellia moss is not liking the cap full of excel each day, so I'm stopping that stuff. Thanks for the 2 cents.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.