The Planted Tank Forum banner

mgops and water quality

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Monster Fish 
#1 ·
well i switched tanks from that 29 to a 40 breeder (more planting/fiddleing) room i put 1 inch mgops with the old tanks cycled flourite as a cap.
i was thinking my water params would go haywire and i havent tested them.
with that said i figured i see some of the fish or 3 different kinds of shrimp acting weird but suprisingly they all seem like its no different

anybody have any data as to what is supposed to happen with the switch
or did using the old cycled flourite as a cap keep me safe

#2 ·
I'm not sure if anything really would happen. It seems like a lot of people have had pretty good results/experiences with MGOCPM (I'm not sure how different it is from MGOCPS). How thick is your cap? It won't stop leaching, but having a cap should slow the rate at which substances can leach out of the soil and into the main tank water.

Other than that, I don't have much. How long since you did the changeover?

#3 ·
im sorry it is mgops. i had it in the tank for 3 days with just a little water . was like slop i waited for the excess water to evap smoothed it all to same height then scooped all flourite out of 29 g smoothed that out to same height and filled with water waited till the smoke cleared and then put all the plants in. its bin emmersed for 3 days i think i have a lot of plants i think idk and co2 so im gonna do a water change today with tap. just worried cause im gettin some crs today and they are going in there.
i think the co2 will keep the ph low enough and as far as the excess nitrate and ammonia i think bc the flourite was allready very cycled and 29 had about 25 fish 15 cherry shrimp 4 snails 6 amano shrimp and i pop those little crap snails every time i see them i had a preety nice bioload already wasnt like a shock. so everything was easyier idk

#5 ·
Miracle Gro Organic Choice Garden Soil

Forest Products/Compost
Pasteurized Poultry Litter
Sphagnum Peat Moss
Manure

http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/pdfImages/af/af230838-fc7a-4ef3-8feb-3c912f93d488.pdf

Miracle Gro Organic Choice Potting Mix

Composted Bark
Sphagnum Peat Moss
Pasteurized Poultry Litter

http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/pdfImages/ce/ce910f90-4433-4df5-8430-675a5e862685.pdf

Avoid using the Miracle Gro Organic Choice Garden Soil since it has cow manure. MGOC Potting Mix only has poultry litter and comes in an orange bag.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.