The Planted Tank Forum banner

Filter question for 75 Gal tank Freshwater

6K views 33 replies 15 participants last post by  jake 
#1 ·
First, just want to say hi, this my first time posting on these boards.

So here my question. Current setup is 75 Gal, running 2 Emperor 400's The 400's work well, but do to some changes at my house, I am moving the tank into main room, and wife does not like how loud the 400's are. 400's don't make water sounds, bad vibrating sounds. Always done this, even have replacement parts sent to me. So I am thinking of getting Filstar Xp3. Also thinking adding AC 500 to this tank. I guess my question is do I really need the AC 500 along with the Filstar XP3? I am thinking yes, but wanted to get advise from others. The tank is community tank, but it heavily stocked.

Thanks for any input.

#2 ·
Adding the AC500 is a rather good addition to control nitirites and ammonia, since it is heavily stocked. You made a wise choice for your canister..it's cheap, reliable, and really efficient. Where are you getting it from? Is this also going to be heavily planted?

#3 ·
Hello Broken! Welcome to the board! We are happy to have you here!

Switching to a canister filter is a good idea. A canister will provide superior mechanical and biological filtration for your 75G. The Rena is a good inexpensive canister filter. I myself would go with an Eheim 2026 or 2028, but the Filstar will also provide you with years of solid service.
Is this aquarium a planted aquarium? Are you injecting CO2? Please give us a little more information about your aquarium! More information will help everyone in their decision on the AC500.

Mike

#4 ·
Hi guys, thanks for the quick responce.

Here is some more info about the tank

Are you injecting CO2? No

Is this aquarium a planted aquarium? No (only plastic plants) with about 2 inch grave (this what several LFS said to use) If this is not good please advise, since I am going to have to re-do the tank to move it.

I would love to go with Eheim, but right now it out my price range.

I plan to by the Filstar XP3 online, I have seen it at 2 places 1 for 89 and the other for 109. Not sure if allowed to say the names here. But the place that has 89 I was worried about there shipping because I would like to get the filters by next weekend. I know the second place I wold get it for sure, I have purchased from them before.

As for current fish I have Angels, Corys, Gouramis, Hatchets, Clown Loaches, Platies, Swords, Rainbow Several types of Tetras such as neon, rummynose, glowlight, and so on.

#6 ·
Excellent timing on this topic, I've been wondering which canister filter to get for a couple new tanks I'm starting up. My original choices were either the Fluval or an Eheim, I had not thought about the Filstar filters. Has anyone had problems with a particular canister filter that could be avoided?

#9 ·
Broken said:
Well I just placed the order for the XP3 and the AC 500. I really hope I don't have problems with the XP3, being loud.
The XP3 is not loud by any means. An Eheim might be a little more quiet, I don't know since I've never owned an Eheim, but I can tell you that my fan in my Dell computer makes way more noise than The XP3.

#12 ·
I just ordered an Eheim 2026 from Big Al's for $149 including media. That was the lowest price I saw anywhere. I am replacing a single Emperor 400 on the back of my 45. Looking forward to the silent running.

#13 ·
brookline45 said:
I just ordered an Eheim 2026 from Big Al's for $149 including media. That was the lowest price I saw anywhere. I am replacing a single Emperor 400 on the back of my 45. Looking forward to the silent running.
My emporer 400 is a noisy rattle trap, its on my 29g cichlid tank, you will enjoy and appreciate the Eheim. but im biased also. :lol:

#15 ·
My 2026 just arrived. The package from Big Al's includes the 2026 + one box of bio substrate, one box of mechanical substrate and one set of pads. It also comes with a extra intake/spray bar set that are a bit more fancy then the stock green ones. This thing looks awesome and I can't wait to set it up. The design and build quality of it clearly justifies the price (pending a live test) IMHO.

#20 ·
I asked this same question on the GWAPA web forum and then had to sit back and watch the Ehimers :twisted: tear into the poor Fluvalites :help: . I felt bad I had flushed the Fluvalites out of the brush :shock: and left them exposed to those other people. :wink:

Funny thing was no one said anything about Magnum filters.

#25 ·
I plan to by the Filstar XP3 online, I have seen it at 2 places 1 for 89 and the other for 109
You stated the Eheim was out of your price range, but I don't understand why. The Eheim Classic series can be had for this same price. I've seen the 2215 (Which will easily handle you're tank) for $99.

Don't get me wrong I was about to purchase a Filstar myself but for just a few dollars more I got the Eheim and I absolutly love it.

Let us know how the Filstar works out please. Since it's a fairly new product I have not heard many read world comments/reviews.

#26 ·
Momotaro
I see you have two eheims on your tank
I have a 75 gal, 1.73 watts per gal(custom sea life), flourite/eco complete substrate...been up for 2months
Moderately planted with Ludwigia, Rotala indica, Myrio Filia, Hygro tropical sunset, 3 swords, 5 or 6 Crypt wendittii, Crypt Balansae, retrospiralis,
Microsword(struggling) A few anubias

Have 9 celeb rainbows, 6 flame tetras, 4 green corys, 4 otos, 2 dorio botia, and a few amano shrimp

I am going to add more smaller crypts for ground cover and to make the tank a little more denser, since most foreground plants wont grow in 1.73

Momo
How do U have the eheims connected each with their own inlets and outlets or each with its own inlet and one outlet???

Do you know how to DYI CO2 using an Eheim???

Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.