The Planted Tank Forum banner

DIY 90 Gallon Tank Stand- Styrofoam/Cork?

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  lochaber 
#1 ·
So...I am planning on building my first DIY tank stand for my 90 Gallon aquarium this weekend with the help of my father (he is the woodworker of the family). I have been reading about many people using styrofoam or Cork between the Tank and the plywood (plan to use a 3/4" piece across the top of the stand) to help with any "imperfections". Since my tank is a glass tank, and sits inside its plastic frame, is it safe to lay a sheet of rigid foam/insulation or cork that is 1/2-1"thick? I am worried that the tank will sink into the insulation/cork and cause the glass on the bottom of the tank to withstand pressure it normally would not......can anyone offer some insight for me?.......Thanks!!

#4 ·
I think it's generally a good idea to use foam or something under the tank, mostly it just avoids imperfections causing stress points.

I don't think using a whole sheet should be an issue, but if you are really concerned about it, you could just cut out the center. -I've done this many times before, but mostly because I want to occasionally look at the bottom of the substrate (even though it's not terribly interesting).

Also, you don't need a piece that thick. I really don't think it will cause any problems, but you could go with a thinner piece if that was easier/cheaper.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.