The Planted Tank Forum banner

120 Gallon ADA "like", ditched, Dutch style new pics 137

503K views 2K replies 327 participants last post by  jccaclimber 
#1 · (Edited)
Well, I just did not like the general feel of the ADA like minimalist display prior, so I tore the entire thing down.

Here, I wanted to add lots of color, contrast, display the nice Manzy wood I have, make it a lot of stem plant and pruning type of tank(yes, work:icon_roll), but somewhat manageable still.

I have enough plants to fill it, but I'll remove some plants on the sides(Erios and Compact the Crypt parva down some, I have a few small divider pieces of Manzy wood I'll add this week to make a better dividing line for some of the groups.

I'll change the groups of plants around till I'm happy(often a long process), to achieve the best contrast based more on Dutch rules, rather than ADA aesthetics. Right now it's fairly simple red green red green layout, and less textured contrast. Most of these species are easy to sell also, so they are good "crop plants", 500 or more of the fire cherry shrimp makes it a good shrimp factory.

I have an ADA style tank and my 180 is somewhat loosely based on ADA style, A reef and a Rift cichlid tank. I want a nice style and method for each tank that is different, not all planted tanks with one style.

Tank is not that old after complete tear down, maybe 4 weeks or less.

See less See more
#1,599 ·

Side view needs a piece of wood to mount the Bolbitus and Buces on and to create a nice cave for plecos, Elelphant Noses, and Botia. I've been slacking on putting it together.

I'll be adding more and more Fissidens on the divider branches. Trying not to go over board with it though.

I'll be removing the Hydrothrix from all tanks, it's too weedy.
Erio setaceum type 3 is ideal, but temperamental when crowded.
L gigenta well, is too weedy. I can use it as a temp display though.

Still after a broader leaf non repens group red plant for the rear. Might have to go back to the R. macrandra. I have some A cardinalis emergent I could put in there, but it does well for awhile, then craps out. Too much light, even in the darker shaded spots, tank is just too shallow.

The UG continues to fill in and will densen up about another 2x as much again and then shorten itself some and the leaves will flatten out some more.

I still need to add more ADA AS to the Downoi row so it raises that bed up higher so it's easier to view. I could remove the Downoi and then add Erio's there. Then place the Downoi somewhere else, but that's always a PITA. Downoi is easier to reproduce and thus more salable than Erio's.

#1,604 ·
It's been a thorn in my side for some time regarding "Where" to place it really.
It's easy to move and repopulate and fill back in.

Too bad it is not a red plant.

If I did remove it, then what would I place in that spot?? A fine leaf bright green plant. Or a wide leaf bright green species etc.
Erios has not fared well due to crowding there. L gigantea is nice, but grows really really fast, not worth much $ wise, same for most others.

#1,605 ·
UG is starting to finally fill it and lay flatter. Many people kept pestering me with questions as to why it looked yellow etc.
I stated once it fills in dense, it's top greener leaves will flop over as it becomes a denser and denser mat.

Most never even get their UG this dense. And it's not yet done.
I do not trim it down to get it to stay short like this, it does this on its own. I'll trim errant runners, but that's about it and very very minor.

Other plants are coming along well enough. Be another month or two perhaps before it's in full bloom.
I'll add some more Fissidens to the branches here and there as it grows out also, some of the plants in the Rear Left corner need to grow in more.
I may also tie some Mini pellia to a few branches in the rear.

#1,613 ·
Depends on the day of the trim for the Red Ludwigia.
I like Downoi and it's a good plant, requires little work and sells well.
Not too many other good locations, it would be nice on the side, the Right where I had it last.

And then leave the UG all over the front and not have it do a wrap on the left side also.

Then I have to find a nice light green replacement plant for that spot:icon_eek:

I have a few ideas, but none of them particularly good.
Most grow either too slow, or way too fast.

#1,614 ·
Sure.

That plant had me a little worried that it would not do well or make a nice group, but the coloration and the topping and replanting sure made it one of my favorite plants, it replaces R. macrandra which grew pretty fast.

I have some of the A. roseafolia true deep red form outside(emergent, it's green) in pots, but I recently brought a few stems in and grew it in my 180 where it has reddened up very nicely, that's how they grow this commercially.

I might bring that back and see if it'll do well in that rear left corn in the shade of the wood.

Or/and/leave some in the 180.

#1,615 ·
I think I will cut out that UG from the far left side wrap, and add the Downoi there. There is actually more space there vs the row where it is at now. The contrast will allow me to use some different species around it.

But then I need to figure out what to replace the downoi with.
I have some nice L aquatica, huge fine needle plant. Very fast growing through.
Erios will have the same issues as Downoi . Erio setacuem does not like this location due to crowding. Hydrothrix is a bit of a weedy plant also.

I have the Mini Myrio, that might work, but I'd like a larger leaf plant etc. Not a typical species, etc.

Another thing is to lay a good size branch there with Mini Pellia covering the entire row/space.
Raise it up a little so it about where the Red Ludwigia is now. Would provide caves for fish under that.

Still trying to think of a good spot for Buce's I have.
May end up selling them or switching them to another tank.

#1,616 ·
Talking about the spot where the downoi currently is..... what about an anubias sp.? Say golden or another sp.? It would be unlike any other leaf shape in this tank (minus the little white). I see your thinking about a fine needle plant but wouldn't that contrast with the ludwigia tornado right behind it?

Anyother idea is true Rotala Indica (ammannia bonsai) Nice green plant with pretty pink highlights?

One last thought would be Rotala pearl for that spot. Thinking out loud now.....

#1,622 ·
I think I will revert back to this grouping for the left side with downoi in front of the Ludwigia sphaerocarpa(the bare spot).
Then the Rotala sunset back in that spot. I may try a few other species before putting the sunset back there though.
That copper M. tuberculatum will be removed obviously

#1,623 ·
Looking great, Tom!

I am finally back home and getting things ready to start my 75 back up!!

How many 9 liter bags of ADA AS do you think I will need for my 75?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.