The Planted Tank Forum banner

Canister Filter recommendations

2K views 18 replies 14 participants last post by  houseofcards 
#1 ·
Hello everyone Im currently running a 36 gallon bow front and an 8 gallon fluval flora. I've got a cruddy , space hogging internal filter in the flora...to gain space id like to get a canister. Recommendations? Additionally I decided to go ahead to upgrade my aqueon hob on the 36. Let me know ...thanks!

#2 ·
Asking what is a good canister is like asking what are your favorite brand of shoes.

With canisters they are pretty much all the same, some have more bells others more whistles but they all perform the same job.

The Big names out there are Fluval and Eheim, There are several others as well Rena, Magnum, Aquatop, SunSun and many others I just can't remember at the moment.
with each brand you will find people that love them and those that despise them. I personally have owned Fluval, Ehiem and SunSun over the years I had a bad experience with the Ehiem but others love them I most likely just got one the slipped past Quality Control it happens. My Fluval ran great for well over 15years I moved to a new home and it was nowhere to be found when the time came to setup my tank again. So I did some research and picked up a SunSun canister and I couldn't be happier with it. Do a little reading up on the different models watch some you tube reviews and make a determination from there you can get the Porsche of canister filters or you can get a reliable daily driver either way it will get the job done.

#4 ·
well u need to think of price range and what your looking for, i like my fluvals over my ehimes due to poor customer service from ehime but overall both units are built great, but if an issue arrises one beats the other hands down!! i would do a 405 and use a spray bar if the flow is to much for u drill them a size larger, if cost is an issue the sunsuns are great an some have uv lights built in them which is nice!

#10 ·
I have used both the Eheim line as well as the Rena xp series. My 29 gallon high-tech is currently operating with a Rena xp1. I have the filter housing packed with bio-filtration media, there is an inline heater, and I also run a DIY inline CO2 reactor. Consequently, the flow isn't exactly the best. I supplement this with an in-tank Koralia Nano 240 (very small and easily hidden). I have had absolutely no problems with this canister filter. It runs silently, it's simple to disconnect the intake and output hoses for cleaning, and it is VERY simple to get primed and running (No air-lock issues).

As others have already mentioned, to each his own. There are many canister filter brands. Each have pros and cons. All we, your fellow TPTers, can do is make our case for why we run what we run.

Happy hunting!

Charlie

#18 ·
i was also looking for a canister for my 12g Long recently. i went back and forth and read as many reviews as i could on the fluval, eheim and marineland brands, even looked on youtube.

bottom line is, they all are good products. there will be both good and bad experiences across all brands. i ended up going with an eheim 2213, its been up and running for almost two weeks now, it is very quiet and provides very nice flow and very clean water.

good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.