The Planted Tank Forum banner

What type of endler?

2K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  dr.tran 
#1 ·
well i was just wondering what type of endler i had in my tank that i originally bought as guppies

sorry if the pics are too big and blurry

thanks in advance

See less See more
#6 ·
Most Endler's Livebearers you buy from the pet store are going to be crossbreeds, but there is nothing wrong with that. I have a tank full of crossbreeds and they are far more beautiful than true endlers or guppies in my opinion. Just don't sell the offspring as pure Endler's and enjoy them! I'll be selling some of my mutts here in a month or so, mostly to my LFS, but I'll post some pics here for those interested.

#10 · (Edited)
Quite a bit of debate about that one. Some folks say exactly that, and some vehemently say not.

I think Endlers were recently given their own latin name, which would mean they are separated from guppies in... umm... species ur genus or whatever it is when they are cousins, lol.... but I think that meant that they were finally recognized as their own.

I have two strains, one is black bar, one is peacock, and those peacocks breed almost exactly the same every time in the males, and not one has ever skipped the tail spot...makes me believe they are a distinct species.

#11 ·
I have two strains, one is black bar, one is peacock, and those peacocks breed almost exactly the same every time in the males, and not one has ever skipped the tail spot...makes me believe they are a distinct species.
Well if it breeds pure, its a strain. What u rarely see is that there is some that are a mix type which is a colony of endlers that display all strains of endlers.

I have a wild colony, peacock, flametail, tux, center peacock, blackbar, and snake. Actually I have too much and I'm going to sell them pretty soon.

But from keeping so many N class endlers, I learned something, there are some very distinst differences between guppies and endlers that make them a different species. The tail of an endlers is more slender and thin while a guppy is more square. Then there are differences in the dorsal ray fin and the gonopodium

#12 ·
But from keeping so many N class endlers, I learned something, there are some very distinst differences between guppies and endlers that make them a different species. The tail of an endlers is more slender and thin while a guppy is more square. Then there are differences in the dorsal ray fin and the gonopodium
look at all the different variations of all types of live bearers :icon_wink there are MANY fin variations. Endlers are just a different "tribe" you could say of guppys. they were sperated and then developed differently. Oh wait-that cant be true! i forget, here in kanas ther aint no such think as evo-lution

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.