The Planted Tank Forum banner

philly area swap list. great for local pickups!

197K views 3K replies 127 participants last post by  scapegoat 
#1 ·
#2,086 ·
Thanks for the Angels and Anubias Bill! I did a 20 minute acclimation on the angels when I got home and once I put them in the 75 they immediately starting schooling and swimming around. Really cool fish. Although I still plan to give these to my girlfriends Mom, they will be fun to watch for a couple weeks. What I really wanna grab is some pinoy angelfish. They are the ones with dark blues, greens, and black underlay. Problem is...they cost about $90 for a group of 6 after shipping :)

#2,090 ·
anyone happen to have a 55 gallon tank to spare?
Sold one i got for free because it looked like it had microcracks in it. Friend had a brand new one stored for me, until we realized today it had a small crack in the bottom.
So anyone have a 55 gallon? Id need to work out transport on a weekend to get it unless you could deliver it!
Like in university city near Penn university.
wood trim preferred!
Also anyone want some kribensis fry? got a bunch and more pop out every day

#2,094 ·
sorry, i just remember giving fish away when i broke down my 125, i thought you were one of the guys.
good luck finding starlights, i've been looking for them for about a year. that pet place had some, 2 days before i got there. haven't seen them since, anywhere. i did hear, as Steve said, they are very difficult to breed.

#2,095 ·
No problem, and maybe if you still had them id take one, Think mine are too inbred, they have beautiful color and ocelli, maybe 30% of the males have popped out as super red males. But some of their faces are slightly messed up, like the lip on one side is crooked. This has happened on at least 4 of my current fry and im thinking its genetics and not fighting? not sure.
Originally thought it was from my filter, since my largest super red male and the biggest fish has it, but was pulled out of my xp3 filter which i thought damaged him. but now others have it, and they def didnt come from the filter.
But i did see the starlights at pet place for 9 bucks, of course out of stock. Thought they were going to be easier to breed. Me never having breed ancistrus, ill probably just start with the common browns.
gotta get a 55 to move fish around first though :(

#2,096 ·
I've bred the common browns. I did both methods: artificial egg hatch and natural egg hatch. I think artificial hatch has its benefits, but if it's your first time then just let the male fan the eggs for a couple weeks. Raising the fry isn't hard but you gotta feed them tons of food and do water changes just like any other fish to make them grow faster.

#2,097 ·
Yeah i figured it wouldnt be to hard/ wanted to try something a little up from cichlids, as thats the most i have ever breed other than livebarriers like 10 years ago.
Even then i can only think of the convicts and kribs i bred successfully.
Was going to try possibly breeding angels in my 55, but decided i was going to get a few leopard ctenopoma. I miss my datnoids at school and wish i had something similar/ cant really find anything else for sale. Got 2 datnoids in a 120gallon at my house that i rarely get to see anymore. Biggest is almost 10 inches or so, gona need an upgrade soon.
But is a 20H big enough for a pair of BN plecos? I considered attempting corys, but figured id probably need a 20L instead of the high i already have. And any difference between the albinos and browns? or just the genes?

#2,100 ·
ok.....i just had a lengthy conversation with the manager at worldwide pets on frankford and knorr. they are relocating, and while they are not advertising it, are selling off their tanks. $1/gallon. they had a drilled 40b for $40. gonna stop back next week and grab a tank or two. they only have them available as they are breaking them down. so it will be hit or miss.

#2,101 ·
that worldwide place, they have used drilled 30 and 40gallon tanks on sale
i saw 7-8 as today...... they used to be saltwater tanks but seem very clean
they also have used 90gal corner tank for $90
thats all... or they selling old 55gal complete setup for $300... too much
all of their tanks are empty ... 3 weeks ago , they had 50% off sale on fish
all of other equipment are high as usual...

#2,102 · (Edited)
Oh...datnioides....
i wanted to buy that fish but couldnt find it
(now the hiddenreef has it for $40)
so i started these guys instead in my 110gal tank
these guys are peaceful, doing well with angelfish and corydoras

i bred albino cories in 10gal tank. if u breed albino longfin pleco , u would get more money or more store credit from lfs :D L144 would be much better...
i bred angelfish and albino plecos in 40gal tank. but i have no luck breeding them in 20gal high tank. i put actual breeding pair alone in 20gal tank. after they laid eggs , they fight too much
so i had to remove weaker one before got killed... :(

#2,103 ·
hey hey hey!! there's the long lost Jimmy!! yeah Jimmy, i only buy crickets there and they only had the 40B when i got there. hidden reef was just putting an order away when i got there today. a lot of fish, but nothing i wanted. no endler's :(

hey, you good for next weekend to get some shrimp/fish?

#2,106 ·
how often do you guys meet up?

I've been wondering if there is a society to join out here. Back home in LA, I was a member of SCAPE and we met up monthly and had a blast buying, selling, and trading plants and fish.

I know BCAS is pretty active but its farther than I want to drive...especially since I live in Glen MIlls now. I haven't heard or seen much about Delaware County Aquarium Society but I was wondering if there are enough people here where we can start our own thing.

Let me know what you guys are a part of. Would love to join a community of like minded folks. Thanks

#2,107 ·
We were meeting quite often for a while, but then summer hit and most people faded out of existence...lol i was going to join bcas, but my schedule conflicts with their meeting schedule. I think it was mentioned about starting something, but fizzled out. I miss the meets, it's nice to get together with like minded folk and swap stuff and info. :)

#2,108 ·
We just drive to each other's house's and have mini swap meets haha! Those angels are looking pretty nice Bill...getting bigger.

I completely tore up everything in the 30 to start over. Still haven't started planting the 75 haha...gonna trash all the floaters tomorrow and start tying on the anubias 3 or 4 at a time. So I should have all the anubias tied on by the end of the week. SHOULD that is.

#2,109 ·
Yeah, that works too. Nothing like standing in front of someone's tank and say "man, that's a nice plant", and they have it bagged for you before you can complete the sentence.......lol

You're worse than i about tearing tanks apart......lol i just started up a 30L crypt/anubias/java fern/ crs tank. I gotta get some rocks so i can get it scaped. Then i am off to see a man about some crs ;) i should see jimmy this weekend for some shrimp and endler's and the paludarium will be at 100% completion and hopefully see dan for some shrimp for the 75. All the while i'm working on a 40b dart frog paludarium. I needed the break over the summer after all my shrimp died the way they did, but i am back baby!!! Lol

#2,123 ·
As long as your not looking to suck up the detritus and crap from the tank, water changes are a breeze using a sump tank. You don't even have to worry about the temperature of the water you put into the sump either because once you turn the return pump on it gradually feeds the water into the main tank and swings in temperature happen over a long period of time so the fish don't mind/notice.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.