The Planted Tank Forum banner

PJs Pet Supply

7K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  Say Car Ramrod 
#1 ·
Off Route 1 in Saugus (just after the Super K) is a huge store with a huge selection of fish and supplies. Unfortunately their staff is very young and not very knowledgable about what they are selling animate or inanimate.

#2 ·
I hear what you're saying. I worked there back in the early 90's, and I felt like one of a very few among the staff that had a clue. I went back there this past weekend to pick up some Flourite, and I don't think I saw anyone over 19 working in the aquarium department.

Speaking of the aquarium dept, I felt their selection had suffered a bit since I worked there. I used to have a nice array of dwarf cichlids, Central & South American and African cichlids, and some others that you don't typically see in the chain stores, like kuhli loaches.

I actually am getting back into the hobby after a several year hiatus. I had a 55 that I set up and stocked while I was working at PJ's. I proceeded to break it down and move it 3 times while managing to keep all the occupants alive before I had to break it down again. We got wall to wall carpeting installed, and I told myself that it would only be down temporarily, that I would put it right back up. Well, 10 years later, here I am setting my 10 back up with the hope of getting the 55 back up some time this summer.

Needless to say I'm back on the quest to find decent LFS's, and aside from PJ's, I'm having no luck so far.

#4 ·
Quincy is a bit of a hike for me. I think my next step will be to find a reliable mail-order company. I'm fine with buying my dither fish at a Petco, but I'd like to get everything else from someplace a little (that is to say, a lot) better than a Petco.

#8 ·
That's cool. I'm patient. I'm only just now restarting a 10G with plans to set my 55 back up later this Spring/early Summer.

I managed to find what used to be Curious Creatures in Salem. The tanks are currently getting a new filter system and probably won't be back up and running for another month. They told me that they can order whatever I'm interested in, and might even be able to contact me and let me know when my orders are arriving so I can pick them up and bring them home before they even take them out of the bags.

But, I would still be interested in checking out this place in Quincy. What's it called?

[edited to add] Incase anyone is wondering, the place in Salem is now called Creature Corner, and is located right near Salem State, at 57 Loring Rd.

#15 ·
HI every one I am Scott's friend that works at the the place in Quincy..actually I am the Assistant Manger my name is Brian and the name of the place is Lovley Pets..we are strictly fish and do nothing else. Please feel free to call me with any question our website is listed below.
http://www.lovely-pets.com/
Thanks
Brian
I bought 5 overpriced cardinal tetras here once to add to a healthy school of 12 that I had had for about 7 months. Those five fish ended up killing my whole school in just a few days. A few months later I went in to get some plants and saw some pretty angels in with the plants and decided to try their fish again. The angels only lasted two days. I don't think I've ever had such bad luck with one pet store. Needless to say I will never shop there again.

#12 ·
Yep, they had a going-out-of-business sale over the summer. My father picked up a 75 G glass w/ wooden stand & canopy for about 1/3rd of the retail price.

#13 ·
I used to buy everything at lovelys pets .. from tank, filter, feeder ghost shrimps .. feeder goldfish, feeder guppies, fish food, dead coral .. and plants .. and .. you name it ..
Anyway .. one day may be 10 months ago .. I bought 4 electric yellows from that store and Steve sold them to me at $25/each .. and they are all pregnants with eggs in their mouth .. I planted to buy just 1 pair but ended up with 1 male/4 females .. because STEVE said that once the baby hatched and about 1" .. bring them back and he will take them for store credit and I can use the store credit for other stuffs that I need .. Few months later .. the babies reached 1" and I called Steve about it .. He said "we cant take them - SORRY" and I was like ummm .. "OK" .. From then on .. I dont buy stuffs there anymore. Not good for a store Owner to go back to their word like that ..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.