The Planted Tank Forum banner

Black Diamond

947 views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  m00se 
#1 ·
I'm wanting to use black diamond blasting sand as a cap for organic garden soil in my 16 gallon bowfront. I was wondering if the is a specific grit size I need to get (xsmall, small, medium, large, xlarge are the choices), and if I should rinse it first.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

#4 ·
I used 20-40 and rinse it like crazy. I have found some slight color difference from bag to bag as well.

#5 ·
Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately, the only store near me that carries it, only carries 30/50 (fine grit), and I already bought a bag. I'll of course be rinsing it based on the recommendations here, I just hope that it doesn't rinse into nothing because of the finer grit.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

#8 ·
Sure, if it's clean why not?

Warning though - this stuff will clog your drains so tight it'll take a snake to clear it, so don't let more than a few grains down there!

I just used a big salad bowl to rinse 150 lbs of mine in the kitchen sink. It didn't take all that long, and you can just point the water stream right into it and let the water overflow the bowl and all the crud spills over the side with it. Move it around (if I had a sprayer I would use that) a bit and next....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.