The Planted Tank Forum banner

Deep Blue iwagumi betta tank

22K views 49 replies 28 participants last post by  Basil 
#1 · (Edited)
recently got my hands on a sweet new Half moon betta at my LFS with a 3g deep blue tank. got the rocks at a beach locally. Let me know what you guys think!

Plants:

Echinodorus tenellus
anubias batteri petite
hydroctle siborthes
nymphaea pubescens

ophiopogon japonica

Funa:

FIN the Betta.

Substrate and lighting:

Petco white tank sand
two florescent desk lights

and i dose excel every couple days

_DSC6049 by marioman72, on Flickr

_DSC6048 by marioman72, on Flickr

_DSC6046 by marioman72, on Flickr

_DSC6044 by marioman72, on Flickr

_DSC6041 by marioman72, on Flickr

_DSC6040 by marioman72, on Flickr

thanks for looking!

See less See more
#6 ·
yea i had a lot of smaller rocks, but they just didnt work as good as the giant one, gives it anther dimension. Thanks!

Nice photography and tank. And fish!
Thank, thank, and thanks! haha

#9 ·
thanks apriciate the kind words. Yea hes a half moon, i got him at a LFS called aqua life for 12.50$. great store.

That is one gorgeous beta! I also love the look of the oversized rock erupting out of the tank. How is it anchored? Did you find it just like that, or break a longer rock in half?

My only suggestion would be perhaps shifting the rocks slightly to the left. But, really, it's awesome! :smile:
thanks!

The rock i found just as it was, A large beach near were i live has a piles of broken up rock that has been eroded in cool ways. lots of very nice rock in every shape and size u can imagine. all of it has a greenish hue to it, or purple one or the other. its quite interesting really i think it might amethyst mixed with slate or something along thos lines.

but as for the placement i was debating moving it slightly over but when i did it didn't look quite right. but now that its all planted i might try and move it over and see what it looks like haha. thanks for the suggestion tho always good to have a second opinion

#10 ·
I really like your layout - great work! the bright green background and the bright sand with the dominate middle rock(s) all tie together well not to mention the vivid colors from your betta - great job :)

#14 ·
thanks!

I bought one of these tanks with the intention of de-rimming it. They are of much better quality than the Marineland 2.5g. The black silicone gives it a unique look. I like your "overgrown" rock theme, will try something similar with mine. Good job!
yea thats the exact reason i got this tank. the black silicone really sets it off. when i first bought it i was intending to de-rim it but i didn't want to chance cracking it haha.

i like your tank, and you betta.
however, i dont see a heater or filter...
thanks marko

yea i never run a heater or filter when ever i have a betta. my other betta ive had for almost 4 years with out ether and hes happy as ever. my tanks in my house stay at about 74 degrees maybe a little warmer so theirs no need for a heater anyways.

Beautiful, a planted HOB behind the central rock would look great. Maybe add a small steel sword to match the grassy planting.
thanks, yea little steel sword would be an interesting addition haha.

#27 ·
You know, I really think the rimmed tanks wouldn't be so bad if the rims weren't so thick. If they only came down equal width of the silicone seams then it would create a much better impression on the tank. Giving it a "bold" effect, so to speak.

On topic:

This tank rocks. So simple yet executed very well.

#17 ·
thanks Han!

what do you use to keep the water from getting stagnant? I have a 2gal cookie jar that just looks like a murky roadside puddle :/
never had that problem before! maybe cause of the water changes and plant mass?

#20 ·
thanks!

Looks great! I really wouldn't mind setting something like this up when i move. Do you just use a desk light or something that hangs above?
Yea exactly, i got some cheap desk lights at walmart that have florescent bulbs do the job quite well!

#21 ·
Today i moved the rock over a little bit as suggested by some people, i think it def helped the look of the tank a bit. hoping once the hydro take root it will take off as it has in my 10g! could look really nice in this tank.

_DSC6062 by marioman72, on Flickr

Fin came out of his hiding spot to pose for a late night picture :D
its quite funny how bettas always jam themselves into a spot and just sleep or rest or what ever bettas do when they just chill for a long while haha. and they always go back to that same spot like its a bed! both of my bettas do it

_DSC6065 by marioman72, on Flickr

and heres a back veiw to show the lights i have

_DSC6067 by marioman72, on Flickr

#29 ·
yea i realy love the look of this betta!

You know, I really think the rimmed tanks wouldn't be so bad if the rims weren't so thick. If they only came down equal width of the silicone seams then it would create a much better impression on the tank. Giving it a "bold" effect, so to speak.

On topic:

This tank rocks. So simple yet executed very well.
thats what im saying! the rims are so unnecessarily wide they would look so much better if they were just that little bit smaller. but thanks!

i have the same tank and love it for a nano tank
its such a great size for a desk tank takes up no room but still great dimensions

#35 ·
never tired shrimps with this betta id have to try it out once the plant mass builds up more. we will see in a month or so what happens with this little tank.

That's a sweet looking betta. Love the fin w/ the red streaks. Normally I'm not a big fan of elephant ear fins, but this one is quite an exception!
yea def couldnt pass this betta up, he has quite the unique coloration

Very cool, like the rock and plant out of the water.
What is the plant that's out of the water?
thanks

the plant would be ophiopogon japonicus, or common name, mondo grass witch is semi aquatic can do all right fully or partially submerged

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.