The Planted Tank Forum banner

CO2 atomizer not working? - what am I doing wrong?

5K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  l8nite 
#1 · (Edited)
A tank I recently bought came with one of these Up Aqua CO2 inline atomizers:

http://upaqua.net/products/co2-systems/co2-atomizers/ua-508-12-co2-atomizer-12-inch-connector/

Except, I haven't seen my drop checker change color no matter how high I crank the bubbles per second. I also have steadily been increasing the working pressure, in case that was the problem, but I have it pretty high now (as you can see below).

I thoroughly cleaned/soaked it with bleach (injecting bleach into the CO2 area with a syringe even) and still nothing on the drop checker after a day of letting it run...

A week later, I ordered a new one thinking the old one was just broken or damaged.

I've had that hooked up for a few days now and still nothing.

Here is what my regulator settings are at:

I moved the drop checker into my big tank to make sure it was still working - within an hour it was turning yellow, so I'm pretty sure that's fine.

I also removed the CO2 tube from the atomizer and stuck it directly into the water, and I can see the bubbles coming out - so I am fairly certain they are at least reaching the atomizer...

What am I doing wrong?

Shaun

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi Shaun. I've found that with these Atomizers, the pressure on the outlet needs to be much higher than normal conditions. Based on what I'm seeing on the low pressure gauge, you need to be between 10-15 psi minimum. I have to go as high as 25 psi on my Atomizer. Is the Atomizer currently hooked up on the output of the filter? If it is, you should see a fine mist coming out of the output pipe. If you're not see it, then you're not likely see CO2 get into the tank.

#4 ·
Atomizers may require working pressures as high as 40 PSI before they start misting properly.

From your image of the low pressure gauge, your regulator may only be capable of delivery a rather low delivery pressure (I would not attempt to turn it past, say, 10 PSI, without know the exact working pressure range of that regulator).

There were also some past threads about the "electronic control" that your particular regulator model has...

#7 ·
Can you add a "Y" joint to the inlet of this atomizer and connect the bubbler line? So you can run CO2 during daytime and bubbler at night? I'm not sure if the bubbler machine can create enough psi to push through the ceramic.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.