The Planted Tank Forum banner

Best fish for eating guppy babies

114K views 22 replies 18 participants last post by  jaidexl 
#1 ·
I have a 35 gallon hex planted tank - nothing really fancy, setup mainly for minimal maintenance. Recently I got a problem - after adding a couple of guppies, they starting pouring babies and their babies started to pour babies of their own. For a while about four angel fish took care of it, but once they reached maturity they became aggressive, first toward each other, then after selling the first two, toward the rest of the fish in the tank. So now they're gone and the guppies keep pouring babies. I got a pair of gouramies, hoping that they would help, but they don't do squat about the guppy babies. I don't know what I can get that:
- would eat baby guppies
- would not be aggressive toward the rest of the adult fish in the tank
- would not eat my shrimps (some ghost shrimps that were sold as feeder shrimps - I like them!)
- would not be overly sensitive - my tank is not kept at fixed Ph, and temperature for example.
- would live comfortably in a 35 gallon hex tank -the angelfish were a stretch in this respect.
- pretty is a plus.

Thanks for the advice,
Mihai

See less See more
#5 ·
Yeah, it crossed my mind but I don't mind a few adults, and I sort of like the idea of feeding some of my fish live food.

cichlids, paradise fish, gourami, rainbowfish, or any predator with the mouth the size of a guppy fry
I don't know much about cichlids, but I got the impression that they are picky regarding the pH and that they are aggressive (so they're out). Gouramis I have a couple and they don't do squat. Maybe because I have some Elodea (Anacharis) on top and the fry hide in that. The other two - rainbow fish and paradise fish - I'm not sure what are those - never heard about them - I'll check them out.

M.

#8 ·
The angels are beauties - mean beauties :). No more angels for this tank (they were a bit on the big side anyway), now, the beta - that's a different idea - I used to have a pair, I can give it another try - they are relatively short lived however (about a year if I recall well).

Thanks,
M.

#10 ·
Mihai, why not sell the guppies. I believe fish pros on western blvd. will take them off your hands and will give you a store credit. Ive sold my fish to them before. They usually give you 1/3 of their selling price, of whatever you bring in. They will even do the same for any extra plants you might have.

#11 ·
The other two - rainbow fish and paradise fish - I'm not sure what are those - never heard about them - I'll check them out.
Paradise fish are basically giant, super aggressive bettas (same family). They should not be kept with any of their relatives, like gouramis or really with most other species either. They also don't care for tropical temperatures.

I doubt that any rainbows large enough to eat fry would be suitable for a tank that size, especially since it's a hex tank.

#15 ·
If your male guppies have fancy delta type tails if you go with a betta they will get nipped a lot. The thing with having guppy baby eating fish, that is shrimp friendly is nearly impossible to figure out. Once the shrimp shed they can be eaten, I know my bettas will kill ghost shrimp in a heartbeat.

#16 ·
It crossed my mind to sell them, but since feeder guppies are about $1 a piece to buy, they would be about 30c each after they grow up, the gas to get there is more expensive than the payback :). Not to talk about the fact that it goes against my "low maintenance" philosophy. I'd still like something that would eat them.

I really love my shrimps... and yes, the guppies have long tail fins (delta type). So the bettas are out, paradise fish are out. Any other ideas? I was thinking zebras (danio), but I'm not sure if they are really eating guppy fry; also not sure how aggressive they are in a mixed tank.

Thanks,
Mihai

#17 ·
I was going to say the same thing, I've had problems keeping Bettas and male fancy guppies together, i think they see the long tails and associate it with being another Betta.

If you like the way zebra danios look, they're very tolerant of less than stable water conditions, very good community fish and will definitely help keep the guppy population in check.

And feeding less will help as well.

Really any fish will go after live food though, the neons and glolight tetras in my 20 did a pretty good job keeping the guppy population down when I had females dropping babies in there.

#20 ·
If you don't find a solution to your problem, consider keeping only male guppies. Then you can have your guppies without the proliferation problem.

#21 ·
Swordtails and mollies don't do it (as I have both in the same tank). The "only males" is how I keep the swordtails in check (and only female how I solve the mollies), but by now I have lots of mixed guppies - I don't want to chase them all down if I can help it.

The "funny" thing is that I have the exact opposite problem in my saltwater tank, where between the corals, anemone, pumps and other fishes, none of my clownfish fry ever make it despite having 30-50 released each month. In that case, I wish some would survive...

Anybody can confirm the zebra danios as an eradication method for guppy fry?

Thanks,
M.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.