The Planted Tank Forum banner

Ray's 12 Gallon Loooooooong Journal | DIY ADA Stand | UG Planted! (3/16)

70K views 249 replies 76 participants last post by  sayurasem 
#1 · (Edited)
So after my 10 gallon project died 10 Gallon Journal, I decided to start a new chapter. Behold the 12 gallon long!
Its my first rimless tank ever, so hopefully this will turn out to be good.

Tank: Mr. Aqua 12 Gallon Long
Light: Ray2 36" 29W 6500k/6500k LED
Hardscape: 2x Seiryu Stone (15lb)
Photoperiod: 6am - 6pm (12hrs/ day)

[STRIKE]Dimension: 12G
Light: 20" Odyssea 2x 18Watts T5HO
Substrate: ~15lb of Fluval Shrimp Stratum
Hardscape: 2x Seiryu Stones ~15lb
Photo Period Hours: 12pm - 10pm (10 hours/ +day)[/STRIKE]

Comments/ Concerns/ Critics/ Opinions are welcome!

Everyone likes pictures, cheers!

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Dry Start Begins!

So I started planting the HC yesterday by "sprinkle" method. I just sprinkle the HC nice and evenly then I sprinkle more Fluval Stratum to lightly cover/buried some HC, so they looked like "planted" with tweezers.

Photoperiod: 10 Hours (12pm - 10pm)
Light: Oddysea (e-bay) 20" Dual T5HO

Right now I'm still deciding on which light fixture should I get. I'm hoping I can make this tank as high-tech as my pocket can support :)

Pictures Cheers!

Full Tank Shot

Bird View

Left Side

Right Side

I know I defies the law of iwagumi rock numbers. I only have 2 rocks on 1 side of the tank only. But I want to make a great plain of HC kind of view. I don't know, its just me being weird and having very limited amount of resource.
That's pretty much it right now! Finally I can sleep now lol.

Hope you guys enjoy! I will keep you updated.

#6 ·
lets see...

I think its because I up my photo period from 10hrs to 14 hours. Plus I put a mix of Seachem Excel, Nitrogen, Phosphorous, Potassium, and Micros into my Spraying Bottle. But! because of these nutrients, algae started to take over in no time.

Last 10 gallon tank substrate was a combination of 20lb Eco-complete + 8.8lb of Fluval Shrimp Stratum. (eco-complete was inert, and FSS only has little nutrients)
This 12 gallon tank contains about ~15lb of Pure Fluval Shrimp Stratum (I use 1 and 2/3 Bags of Fluval Shrimp Stratum) So hopefully this 15lb of FSS can provide the nutrients needed while dry start.

I learned that High-Light + Long Photo Period + High Fertilizer + High Humidity grows the fastest HC. But! when an algae got you its hard to stop them because of the nutrients and light. Its like driving a car, you go 100 MPH will get you super fast to your destination. But this is when you got into an accident because you just can't stop the car that fast.
Slow and Steady win the race I guess!

What are you going to be doing differently in this tank to avoid algae?
Maybe... just maybe keep the photo period for 10 hours, but I'm so tempted to raise it up to 12 by next week after they acclimate.
And I'm not going to put fertilizers into my spray bottle this time lol. Just plain Tap water. I hope the FSS and Tap water can provide enough nutrients and minerals for the HC.

Plus I'm really watching the water level not to reach the substrate surface.
My substrate is 1 1/2 inch thick. I'm really trying to keep the water line at 1 inch below substrate surface to avoid a blanket of algae on top of my HC.

#9 ·
Thank you!
You'll definitely want to add at least some trace or Flourish to your spray bottle. Fluval Shrimp Stratum doesn't hold much in the form of plant nutrition. But it'll grow plants really well if they're fed. One of my favorite substrates.

Tank is looking nice so far!
Thank you for the tips! Yeah I was thinking tap water wouldn't have enough trace elements for the plant. Definately going to finish up my seachem trace then buy a new seachem comprehensive. Because I've read seachem trace is like hard rock water sold in ridiculous price lol. And my paintball co2 is whispering to me already!

#15 ·
Thank you! I hope too. I know I did something right on my previous 10 gallon Project (see signature link). Lets hope this HC can make it too! Ofcourse without the algae hehe.

I have the 36" Coralife NO fixtrue from Ken's Fish for my 12L, try and get one on the next SCAPE group buy ;) Trace and Flourish Comprehensive are two diff things, Trace is something you want to add to an established filled tank. Comprehensive has more to it.
Man $48 for coralife fixture sure is a good deal! So how is your tank with this fixture? doing good? Maybe you could share me some picture of your tank with the 36" Coralife fixture on :D
I really really want to buy this fixture but I heard they are not worth the money for T5NO and bad reflector.

Easiest thing to do would be to dose with Seachem Equilibrium.
To keep algae under control I found having a siesta period of 2hrs of lights off helps. Something like this 4hs on/ 2hrs off/ 4hrs on.
Do I dose this while dry start with my spray bottle or flooded?
That's a good tip! The lights are always off when I go out to school (6am), and only can enjoy 2 hours of light on after I got home from school then lights off :(

Great start
Thank you!

Yes it looks like a good start. Has there been more growth?
Yeah indeed. Because the HC I got are "trims" from another person, there are no roots to "plant". That's why I did the sprinkle method. As in right now, there are some new growth of new stems! yay.

**Yesterday (March 31) I bought 2 more HC pot from a local fish store. I planted them at the left side of the tank :D

#16 ·
Update! Sunday, April 1, 2012.
So I planted more HC, 2 pots worth.
They are bright green, and old HC are dark green.
Hopefully this will speed up my carpeting!

Pictures Cheers!

Bird View Left

Bird View Middle

Bird View Right

Angled View Left

Angled View Right

Full Tank Shot!

Hope you guys enjoy the progress!
Comments, concerns, tips are welcome!

*Question, What light fixture should I get for this awesome tank? As you can see I don't care the look of it right now because its on dry start. BUT after 4/5 weeks from now, I would like to get a nice light fixture that goes with shallow tank.
Help appreciate it!

#34 ·
Looks good so far. The HC is spread nice and evenly. I would wait a total of 2-3 months before filling it. It should be very nice by then. Be sure not to mist it past the level of substrate. I'm not sure if this happens all the time, but a 3x3 part of my substrate was a little deeper than the rest for some reason. When I misted my tank, it created a tiny puddle in that area and melted the bottom patch of HC that was on it. The patch itself is fine, but whatever was below the level of the puddle was dead..

BTW, will you be investing in an aquarium fan since summers coming up?

#36 ·
Yep, I'm ready as in right now my other shrimp tank temp is at least 73F no lower than that. Then barely reaching 70F at night.

Heres some DIY computer fan to Blackberry phone charger.

I think I read the minimum wait period should be 6 weeks.
Ok thank you! counting the dates I started this journal its only 25 days (almost 4 weeks).

Cant wait!!!:bounce:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.