The Planted Tank Forum banner

Cleaning an old tank

1K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  GraphicGr8s 
#1 ·
I have a used ten gallon I want to set up, and it has hard water deposits all around the edge. What is the best way to clean this?

thanks

#4 ·
You have to use lots of it though. Soak rags in it and lay them on the spot you need to work on for a while before scrubbing. You can use single edge razor blades to help scrape and the original Mr. Clean sponge can help get off the last of the residue if you have some around. Be careful around the silicone of course, too many nicks and you get to reseal the tank too!

#6 ·
Why waste the time? 10 gallon $10.00.

#7 ·
Why would someone go spend $10.00 on a new tank when they could put a little elbow grease into an old one?

Some people don't have money to throw around, so I find suggestions like that rude.

OP, when I cleaned my hardwater, I just used warm water and a clean rag. It eventually comes off, but you're probably better off with vinegar. Good luck!

#11 ·
It wasn't meant in a rude fashion. I never said to get rid of the old tank. It would make a great quarantine tank. Or breeder. Just not a show tank.But that tank will never have the clarity of new glass. I noticed that when I got my new 20H's last year. And if Petco wasn't having the $1/gallon sale or it was a more expensive tank I wouldn't have mentioned it. I've got 3 20L that have hard water stains. I don't bother cleaning them because i don't want to waste the time since the tanks are still serving their purpose. I'd rather spend that time with my son.
Someday I may clean them up but they will still be utility tanks.

#9 ·
Not everyone buys into a consumerist mind-set, either.

One of the handiest "tools" in my aquarium setup is an extra large cat litter pan. Easier to put small tanks rim down in it to soak the rims than try to keep draped rags wet, also great for soaking glass covers and other equipment. As well as rinsing substrate, holding/sorting plant clippings, etc. Cheap and nigh on indestructible.

#10 ·
White vinegar plus a lemon cut in half. Spray the edges with vinegar, let it set for a few minutes, and then take the lemon and just scrub it on the tank.

Seriously. Lemons. I use them to clean the water marks off my faucets, sinks, and tubs. It works great on glass and I'm 99.9% sure it's nontoxic. :icon_smil

#12 ·
I understand it wasn't intended to be rude, but you didn't offer up what you just said in your original post. Had you said that, it would have been a different story.

I find that if people (including myself) don't make the best of every purchase, you wind up with way too many tanks.

My take is this doesn't have to be a break the bank hobby.

#13 ·
I understand it wasn't intended to be rude, but you didn't offer up what you just said in your original post. Had you said that, it would have been a different story.

I find that if people (including myself) don't make the best of every purchase, you wind up with way too many tanks.

My take is this doesn't have to be a break the bank hobby.
Now that is impossible. How could you ever have too many tanks?:D

And has been said. White vinegar. Great for cleaning coffee makers. Try heating it up a little. in fact we even use it warm on our press rollers to get off the buildup and to neutralize the rollers.

#15 ·
That's not a too many tank problem that's a too little space problem. Solution? Get more tanks. And more space.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.