Updated: 06/12/2014 (NEW HARDSCAPE!)

01/21/2013

12/13/2012

09/29/2012

09/01/2012, Flooded.

08/11/2012, Day 61 of dry start.

07/28/2012, Day 47 of dry start.

05/12/2012, Before dry start.

It's a sexy tank. You can't deny it. So I'm going to get one.

Tank:
Mr. Aqua 12G Long
Stand: Target 6 Cube Organizer
Filter: UG connected to SunSun 3-stage (264GPH)
Lighting: Odyssea T5HO 36" 78watt, using only one bulb, mounted 12" above tank
Heater: Hydor 200W 5/8"
Substrate: Black lava rock (small grain)
Hardscape: Malaysian driftwood, Seiryu stone
Flora:
  • Riccardia chamedryfolia (Mini Pellia)
  • Taxiphyllum sp. (Mini Christmas Tree Moss)
  • Taxiphyllum ferriei (Weeping Moss)
  • Fissidens nobilis (Mini Fissidens)
  • Fissidens geppii
  • Jungermannia pseudocylcops (Rose Moss)
  • Blepharostoma trichophyllum (Mini Rose Moss)
  • Notocyphus lutescens
  • Anubias nana 'micro'
Fauna: TBA
Tap water: pH = ~7.0, KH = 0-1, GH = 0-1, TDS = ~30
Tank water: pH = 7.8, KH = 4, GH = 5, TDS = 195

See less See more
#162 ·
looks great - I feel like the tank looks huge in those pictures for some reason, I guess the scape gives off the feel the tank is much bigger than it is

#167 ·
So it's been a while since the last update. Not much has changed really. Some more growth, from both the moss/liverworts as well as the clado algae. Fortunately, the clado doesn't seem to be too overwhelming and it doesn't look too ugly yet. The spraybar's pretty nasty by now. All but 3 shrimp are gone. Seems like the smallest guys were the hardiest. There have been no water changes, only topoffs. No fish yet or new shrimp. Still deciding on what fauna to add next. Water parameters have been pretty stable. I've been adding glutaraldehyde semi-daily.

#173 ·
Brevibora dorsiocellata (Eyespot Rasbora) are my favorite little schooling fish at the moment. With the right lighting, they really pop. Especially with plants.

They may not be as colorful as the Boraras brigittae but they stick together pretty tightly, are shiny and have hints of blue and green.

My neighbor has a bunch of them in a 33long and they're terrific. Perfect for long tanks.

#175 ·
this is a beautiful tank meow. one of my most favorite hardscape on the site. the mix of DW and rocks is pure genius.

i think that a large school of cardinals would stand out in this tank. Add some color. BUT i am kinda partial to them seeing that that is what i have in my big tank. They just school so well.

#177 ·
REALLY AWESOME TANK!!!!!

The hard scape and types of moss you have done are FREAKIN' AWESOME!!! Like others have said I have to keep reminding myself this is only a 12g tank! From the pics it could at least be a 72" 125g!

SORRY about the shrimp and the DAM CLADO!!! I have the clado in my 55g, and it is the shiznets! I would rather have BBA anyday!!!

So did you loose the Tiger Shrimp too?

Also did you bend the acrylic tube your self, and if so HOW??? I have seen it done with a fine wire spring that is a tiny bit bigger than the pipe, slid over the pipe to the place you want to bend it, then they used a heat gun to heat the pipe, and the spring kept the pipe from flattening while bending. BUT I don't see any "spring marks" in your bends!

Anyway I HOPE you find a cure to the clado, and I can't wait to see the fish in the tank too!

Again AWESOME JOB!!!
Drew

#178 ·
Thank you, Drew!

I did lose the tiger shrimps. Don't exactly know why as the water params were pretty perfect for them. The few cherry shrimp that I put in the tank though are thriving.

As for the acrylic pipes, I bent them by filling the tubes with salt prior to heating the tube over a bend. The salt keeps the shape of the bend pretty well, although when the pipe is dry you can see the little indentations made by all the little specks of salt. However, when the pipe is wet and in use, you can't see this at all.

#188 ·
Thanks! After I tore down the last scape, I got busy with school and work, and the tank's been empty since. Finally decided to get things back up since an empty tank is a bit of an eyesore. I'm still running the ugf connected to the SunSun (a new one), but I've removed the custom acrylic spraybar which, while nice initially, got pretty backed up with algae with no way to remove it. Now I've got ADA stainless steel pipes.

The sand is CaribSea Instand Aquarium, Crystal River, which is a medium grade sand. I've got a pretty large layer of crushed lava rock underneath to facilitate the ugf, and a mesh layer in between the lava rock and sand, so the sand doesn't sink and clog the ugf.

That is a really cool aquascape! It reminds me of the piles of wood along river bends that I see when I go canoeing on small rivers.
Thanks! I know most people go for the minimalistic look when it comes to setting up a hardscape, but I'm intentionally cluttering it. I haven't filled the tank yet, so I'll more than likely move a few branches around.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.