Updated: 06/12/2014 (NEW HARDSCAPE!)

01/21/2013

12/13/2012

09/29/2012

09/01/2012, Flooded.

08/11/2012, Day 61 of dry start.

07/28/2012, Day 47 of dry start.

05/12/2012, Before dry start.

It's a sexy tank. You can't deny it. So I'm going to get one.

Tank:
Mr. Aqua 12G Long
Stand: Target 6 Cube Organizer
Filter: UG connected to SunSun 3-stage (264GPH)
Lighting: Odyssea T5HO 36" 78watt, using only one bulb, mounted 12" above tank
Heater: Hydor 200W 5/8"
Substrate: Black lava rock (small grain)
Hardscape: Malaysian driftwood, Seiryu stone
Flora:
  • Riccardia chamedryfolia (Mini Pellia)
  • Taxiphyllum sp. (Mini Christmas Tree Moss)
  • Taxiphyllum ferriei (Weeping Moss)
  • Fissidens nobilis (Mini Fissidens)
  • Fissidens geppii
  • Jungermannia pseudocylcops (Rose Moss)
  • Blepharostoma trichophyllum (Mini Rose Moss)
  • Notocyphus lutescens
  • Anubias nana 'micro'
Fauna: TBA
Tap water: pH = ~7.0, KH = 0-1, GH = 0-1, TDS = ~30
Tank water: pH = 7.8, KH = 4, GH = 5, TDS = 195

See less See more
#110 ·
Here are some wonderfully shoddy pictures complete with cloudy water, dirty/bubbly plants, weird lighting and obtrusive reflections.

Crappy location for the canister, but I had to make do with the lack of space (damn thing's too big to fit in one of the stand's cubby holes).

I love spraybars.

At a nice, steady 22C.

Snippet of my next little project.

#113 ·
Yup, made it myself. I broke the first one I made, but honestly this one is better. As for other pipes, I haven't tried making other stuff yet.

Looking great! All that moss looks like it's going to grow in really well.

The tiny little project appears to be acrylic?
It's acrylic alright. I would love to do something like what orchidman linked to, but I don't know yet. I guess I'd be open to suggestions. :)

#123 ·
Honestly, you have one of my favorite scapes on the site. :D I'm in love with it. Keep coming back to creep on this thread every couple days.
Can't wait for updates- water clearing, moss and plants filling in and all that! Gorgeous job.

And a little photoshopping for you:

#124 ·
Thanks! I can give you water clearing, but the filling in of plants will take forever, considering I'm not using CO2. Cool photoshopping, by the way. :)

Bonus pic:
Celebrated my 21st with some co-workers at a bar a block away from work. My first time in a bar, my first legal sips of alcohol (tequila and scotch, I think). 'Twas super fun and hilarious.

#126 ·
Thank you!

So it's been a week since I've flooded the tank and there has been no sign of algae *knock on wood*. I raised the light, so now it's a foot above the top of the tank, placed parchment paper on the acrylic screen, and shortened the photoperiod from ten hours to seven. Hopefully this is considered low light, so with no ferts and CO2, there will be no algae problems.

#134 ·
Could you possibly elaborate a bit more on the Fis. attachment to Rocks.. After grinding up,
did you actually just place them on the Rocks or did you "Smear" or grind them into the Rocks? Is it the "Spores" that actually get into the Rocks themselves or ?? I've heard about just taking them and Rubbing them all over the Rock surface areas ..
Would appreciate your take on this ! Very inspirational overall !!

#135 ·
After chopping it up, I used my fingers to smear it onto the wood/rocks. What I assume happens is that the areas of the moss that touch a surface will eventually attach, after the allotted period of transition from a submerged to emersed state and after a bit of healthy growth. So it's crucial to get as much of the moss to touch the surface as possible if you want the best attachment. Each little chopped up piece will be a growing point, and once it starts growing after transition, it'll begin to attach to a surface if it can. This process has nothing to do with spores as far as I know. I hope this helps.

#149 ·
Growth has been slow but steady. As you can see, the spraybar is already getting dirty. Not much algae from what I can see. I hope I can keep it that way. Light has been moved up to 12 inches above the top of the tank and I've placed 4 layers of parchment paper to filter the light. This should be considered low light, right?

Water parameters:
pH: 7.8
GH: 5
KH: 4
TDS: 195
Ammonia/Nitrites/Nitrates: 0

Riccia is popping up everywhere. It ain't so bad.

I've added a few tiger shrimp. They're quite colorful and active. It's a shame they aren't more popular.

I shoved a few sprigs of anubias nana micro in crevices around the tank. They're tiny and cute.

Fissidens geppii is a super slow grower, but it's growing. On the rock there.

Small shrimp ball. I already love these little guys.

I'm looking for more tiger shrimp to expand the gene pool, so if you've got any tigers or super tigers for a reasonable price, hit me up.

#152 ·
Thanks!

Yeah, this one as well as a few others have made me take the plunge. I love the anubias petite and the growth looks awesome. Those tigers look pretty fun too. I just picked up a group of 10 CRS for one of my work tanks and they're the most fun to watch.
I'll definitely be keeping an eye on your tank. I love your driftwood.

#154 ·
Your tanks are beautiful. I stumbled across this journal the other day, but just now had time to read it. The 12 gallon long really turned out great. You should be very proud. Those DIY acrylic hangers, and the spray bar are excellent.

Also, I love those Tigers, good decision on your part. Have you had a chance to do anything with your little homemade tank you showed in post 110?

I guess I will continue to avoid work, and see if you have any other tank journals to read.

#155 ·
Thank you! I don't have any other journals at the moment, but I may start a few when I begin working on my other tanks. My 11.4G is almost done with a rescape and planting. The Finnex 4G will be turned into a small breeding/ fry rearing tank with an actual scape (we'll see how that actually turns out). There have been minor changes to the 20G. And the mini tank on the shelf under the 12G is currently in the planning stage as I've yet to figure out what to make of it.
As more worthwhile developments occur, I'll be sure to post pics in this thread.:smile:

#157 ·
4 layers indeed. Although, it honestly looks no different than with only 1 or 2 layers.

So I had a few shrimp parachuters. One made its way 3 feet from the tank onto my carpet. I almost stepped on it when I saw the little striped speck. Poked it and it wiggled, so I quickly threw it back in the tank. Little guy seemed alright. Now I put on a lid. It's rather ugly. Pics to come.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.