The Planted Tank Forum banner

ADA 120H + 60p

106K views 380 replies 73 participants last post by  fplata 
#1 · (Edited)
Seems a bit narcissistic on my part, why would anyone want to read what a beginner like me has to say about a planted tank. Years ago I gave it go and I was very successful at growing all sorts of unpleasant algae and some things that have probably never been discovered by science, I wish I had pictures, I guarantee you that these pictures will make you a believer in aliens from a far, far a way galaxy. I digress, I am giving it go one more time, this time it’s a bit different, I read and read and read until I read the whole internet(s), not quite, but I did read quite a bit, not that that is going to make me successful, but it will increase the odds, that along with my hard head should eventually help me grow something green other than algae and those alien things (if I fail I should sell those alien things on ebay, some fool with certainly give me $1.59 with $4.31 for shipping and handling, to recoup my losses). I should also mention that Frank from ADG has spent numerous hours answering all my questions and providing me with guidance. (Aquarium Design Group of Houston = Best customer service I have ever received). Now for the equipment; I am not going to list every little item, as most of you know what it’s needed. But in short, I ordered an ADA 120H, with an ADA filter, lighting, CO2 system, substrate and everything else I needed or thought I needed. I did look at other manufactures, including custom built tanks and the like, I decided on ADA because of the customer support from Frank at ADG. I have built my own stand and will post pictures of that for your critique. I am hoping I get my tank et’al in the next 3 weeks, I will then start taking pictures of the steps I am following, lessons learned, Etc. I will like to know if you are interested in this kind of journal, I am not claiming that you will learn anything from my writings, but I can, with a great degree or certainly say that I will make you laugh at least one time and probably cry as I write this journal from a beginners aqua-escapist (if I can call my self that) and from a failed philosophers point of view. Now I wait until I get my tank. Pictures will come soon and I hope to be of some entertainment to you.

Updated: Immages of a prototype stand i built for the 120H. I will take some better pictures once i have the tank, etc.

Please let me know what you think of it

See less See more
#312 ·
You read it here, I have a bunch of ET that I have been growing, I set up a tank just to grow out plants. Let me know if you want some

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, I went back and re-read the thread and realized that after I already posted; I've never had much luck with it myself so I'll pass, but I can't wait to see how it looks in the new scape!:)

#319 ·
Wow just read most of the journal. I think you pulled off the Iwagumi look in your 120H. Its much easier on a normal 120P. I thought I was crazy with having 3 120P's. I always wanted the air pollen diffuser but at $180 it stings a bit. Until now I canot find any better lighting than metal halide, T5 are ok and LED don't even come close. Your full ADA set up is epic.

#327 ·
Little update, this layout has less than one month before it reaches its end of life
View attachment 68233

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If the stones were nicer quality, this would add a very nice touch to the scape.
This is not any skill issue on you at all, just what you have available.

The front edges can be improved by taking a plastic paint scraper and pulling that edge back, so the slope is steeper ans the front edge is cleaner.
Otherwise, that's the only thing I would change or try out.

Good rocks? Lots of time searching or lots of $ or both.
Finding good rock is the hardest thing in the USA.

#330 ·
Yes that stand is awesome and I'm saving my pennies for one myself Tom. But enough time has elapsed now my dear fplata for us to deserve a major update! It feels like its been 7 years already, wth!?! Looking at your last photo, I think the next time that I would rescape this particular tank, I'd have a much higher slope to the back since you're going without a background, but that's just my personal preference. The Stauro is going to look absolutely sick if you go with that as a foreground.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.